XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Newbie in Az

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Newbie in Az

Hello,
I believe this is the section I will be calling home, so here is a little about me...
I have been registered on this site for awhile but it took me some time because I have been in the process of getting the Jag in my name for awhile. My dad bought her in the early 2000’s, drove it for a few years and then was not able to maintain her. Unfortunately the car sat in the Arizona desert for over a decade. When i was finally able to take possession, a pack rat had moved into the engine bay, the soft top had given way to mother nature. As of today, I am waiting on an inspection of the car in order for me to title it in my name. I am still working on the process in which to attack, as of right now i am planning on pulling the engine out to i can assess, and replace and rebuild as needed and will move on from there.
The list of obvious areas in need are:
Wire harness,
Fuel lines/tank,
Brake Fluid Reservoir,
Washer fluid reservoir,
Rear end may need work,
Paint/ body/ top,
Interior.

'87 XJSC, 5.3, Lucas ignition, Nimbus White, not sure what else to list here...

-BigWeld56

Old 03-25-2017, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Good for you. Add new suspension rubbers throughout, new/rebuild brake callipers, new discs, rebuild master cylinder, probably shocks too. Almost certainly some ignition sensors etc etc. Great project, hard work, but you will end up with a good car you know all about. Think 2 years work. If the leather interior is shot, that can be expensive to fix.
Good luck with it
Greg

Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Welcome to the group! Post up some pictures. Really glad you were able to keep your Jag in the family.

The XJS, and the entire run of the XJ6 are truly special cars.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:50 PM

The sad left overs after 12 years of pack rat. Cleaned it out, i will post a cleaned off picture soon.

The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (03-28-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 04:06 PM
Received 302 Likes on 199 Posts

Hi Bigweld- unless there is a personal attachment to this car, I would find another XJS. They can be had with nice interiors, running, good condition, $3500. You could throw thousands at that car and not get anywhere. Take a look at the "sold" cars on eBay, they are very cheap. -John

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagsandmgs:
Greg in France (03-27-2017), Jonathan-W (03-30-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 04:24 PM

But if i do this, i miss out on all of the fun!

The following 2 users liked this post by BigWeld56:
Greg in France (03-27-2017), Jonathan-W (03-30-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

I agree with Jagsandmgs

Keep it for a Parts Car and buy yourself another one that it up and running, as it looks like a 'Money Pit' to me.

More Fun than you can handle, even if you buy a better one.

Greg in France (03-27-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

To some of us, its the hunt, the chase, the feel of accomplishment that dictates uor wallets. No common sense involved, lol.

Greg in France (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Me too. A lot to be said for that car, outside the family attachment. Rust free in all likelihood.

The top "hood" deterioration is a bit odd. As to the construction. Not all vinyl over metal? Never did like vinyl tops. Represented fake 'drop tops", and fake is a bad word to me.

After the rat condo is demolished, it mighty not be all that bad as to the soft stuff. wires and hoses. But, replacement still wise

But, unless you have information that the engine has major ills, I check it out in situ.
Turns over? Compression test, etc. It might be just dandy inside.

As to the interior. restich and treat might get it to look decent or better... Did that in an other critter decades ago...

Yes, I'm a victim of the "thrill of the hunt".

Two thrill here at present. My daughter's Passat and my Jeep. Each with ills. Jaguar is
just fine...

Carl

Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM

That damage to the hood (bonnet I guess) liner is from the pack rat, comes with claw marks. I have removed a lot of the top stuff and have been working on the deep down junk, blowing it out with the air blow gun. From my few once overs I have found very little rust through out.
Dad mentioned the only issues are rear end might need some work and the distributor, other wise the car ran fine when he parked it.
with this known, I still plan to pull the engine out so I can work on it and test parts as I go, and keep that up as I work my way front to back.
I am excited about the thrill of the hunt and of the work. This is not my only car, and therefore not something I have to get running right away. I have time to work on it, get it finished the right way and eventually pass it on to either my son or daughter.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

A bit different here !!! Gotta get the Jeep and the Passat on the road. or at a bare minimum, one of them!!!

Knock on wood, the Jaguar is up and ready. Gonna swap spots in a bit. Jaguar gives up it's garage spot to the Passat. Passat n ot to block the way as it is taken apart. N ot a major demo job. Spark plugs, wires, coil pack and one cam cover gasket. I hope that fixes it's internmittant buck and quit. Scan shows 5 of it's 6 holes have misfired and the cat is below perfomance. All point to ignition issue.

I hope my all out attack fixes it...

As to the Jeep, first order get battery up to 100%. Done. Clean terminals. Too much resistance On first charge effort. Removed cables and put smart charger clamps direct to posts. That worked.

Hope. not enough v's to pump fuel, run the PCM and do ignition duty with lights on!!!

Fear: In the tank fuel pump bit the dust. Lesser hope, merely (?) a filter needed.
Test in next day or so...

Oh, gotta go to market. "Little" dog Coco and I need vittles.

Carl,

Old 03-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs
Hi Bigweld- unless there is a personal attachment to this car, I would find another XJS. They can be had with nice interiors, running, good condition, $3500. You could throw thousands at that car and not get anywhere. Take a look at the "sold" cars on eBay, they are very cheap. -John
Originally Posted by BigWeld56
Hello,
I have been in the process of getting the Jag in my name for awhile. My dad bought her in the early 2000’s, drove it for a few years and then was not able to maintain her.
-BigWeld56

his Dads' car... so yes an attachment

Old 03-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Enjoy!
I know you are going to have loads of fun...
start buying up parts from RockAuto.com and ebay
all the belts all the hoses....
make friends with Pauls' Jaguar (a breaker/dismantler) and all the other places you can find
I bought a nice hose kit off ebay...
the belts are cheap right now on rock auto as they are killing off the stock..
get them now!

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 03-30-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Heres an idea of some on the replacement prices....

jaguar xjsc top | eBay

Old 04-01-2017, 02:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Hello,
I believe this is the section I will be calling home, so here is a little about me...
I'm surprised to read a lot of negative comments in the thread. Yes - it's going to take a lot of time and money and the easy option is to buy a running example but it was your dad's car and that's the whole point of taking it on.

Many start out having to fight the ravages of rust but it looks solid.

If the pack rat had an appetite for the wiring there'll be some interesting challenges ahead!

Good luck.

Graham

Old 04-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Now I know what they mean by a "ratty engine bay"....

I didn't see any negative comments here - just warnings. But you seem to be well aware of how much work there is, so it will be interesting to see what you manage to do.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Non Jaguar fixes statuses:

1. Jeep diagnosis successful. Bad fuel pump. Semi major dismantle to fix. Plastic tank astern of the rear axle. Top loaded pump and sender module to replace. Access needs skid plate and trailer hitch removal. Then wires and hoses to disconnect. Siphon at least ten gallons of fuel off. All down and under. No longer in my wheel house. But, son is getting pump and willing to do the job.

2. Daughters VW Passat in my shop. Engine at waist level. Still within my wheel house, I think !!! Weird coil pack to harness connector defies my efforts to separate it. Makes Jag connectors as well as the GM connecters in my lump look great.

Carl

Jonathan-W (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

I will give you nothing but encouragement ! I restored the car my Dad gave me 1 965 AH sprite w a 10k rpm racing engine... block/head cracked took it down t the frame remove single circuit breaking system made piping and installed dual circuit system and so on... it was great to drive it later.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Is it 12-rats or 6-rats? This engine should be rated in RP, not HP! :-D

Good luck with restoration!