XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

No luck selling

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default No luck selling

I’ve got my XJS running pretty well and have been advertising on CL, three eBay auction cycles, here on the forum, signs in the windows and no luck selling. Started offering it at 12.5 now down to half that. What else to try?

Old 04-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

you probably asking to much, Jaguar is not exactly a desirable car, not having all conditions listed

Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

What year ? Condition? Post some picts.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
I’ve got my XJS running pretty well and have been advertising on CL, three eBay auction cycles, here on the forum, signs in the windows and no luck selling. Started offering it at 12.5 now down to half that. What else to try?
When my SO is having trouble selling a vintage piece that she knows is an excellent offer for her price she will sometimes double the price to get it to sell. I know. People are strange.

Alternatively, if it’s a convertible, insure it well and park it, top down, outside nice restaurants on weekends. Done. One way or the other it’ll be gone

The following users liked this post:
Mac Allan (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 08:00 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Try Bring-A-Trailer. They sell pretty well there.
https://bringatrailer.com/

Old 04-21-2019, 08:29 AM

I have it with pics in the marketplace: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/213128

I've tried parking it at shopping areas on the weekends, but minimal interest. I live in a neighborhood with nice restaurants and should probably try parking there but then it's paid parking and not a convertible...

Bring-A-Trailer has become very selective in what they offer. Evidently they have enough demand they can now pass over any below $10k cars. They rejected mine.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Maybe post an ad in a European forum? There are some people who believe the car is skyrocketing in value. Apparently they are in Europe and people are willing to ship them from the US?

Old 04-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Received 193 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
Maybe post an ad in a European forum? There are some people who believe the car is skyrocketing in value.
No No, only the convertible

Old 04-21-2019, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

While the late model, six cylinder convertibles seem to be increasing in value, the older twelve cylinder cars are often a hard sell. The XJS is best known as the "budget" exotic, and there are tons of poor examples selling for very little. A good car in good shape is a much better buy than your average "barn find," but only a savvy and motivated buyer is willing to pay a fair price. You might try to contact a local Jaguar or British car club and try to make a personal connection with a potential buyer face to face. Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2019, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

It's a nice car. And only US$7500 at the moment? A steal. Cheaper than any XJS currently for sale in Japan. I agree with those who suggest trying other countries. If I didn't already have a 1992 V12 coupe, and lived in the right hemisphere, I'd be tempted. Though those chrome wheel arches would be a turn-off. The engine could do with a bit of a polish as well. But it's a nice-looking machine that's clearly been treated well, so I don't know why it's not selling.
Personally, I blame Doug Demuro....

Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
It's a nice car. And only US$7500 at the moment? A steal. Cheaper than any XJS currently for sale in Japan. I agree with those who suggest trying other countries. If I didn't already have a 1992 V12 coupe, and lived in the right hemisphere, I'd be tempted. Though those chrome wheel arches would be a turn-off. The engine could do with a bit of a polish as well. But it's a nice-looking machine that's clearly been treated well, so I don't know why it's not selling.
I was annoyed with Demuro's review. Didn't even drive it to a neighboring town. How do you review a GT and only putter around town? Still, good for us!

Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM

For 7500 I might pay shipping to Japan.... I am down to 5700 on CL now. Thinking about removing the chrome. Engine polish would be good too... Need to leave something for the guy that will love this car. lol

Old 04-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Definitely remove the chrome arches, and the door strips. Im not sure about V12s but I paid $200 to have my 4.0 steam cleaned. It worked wonders for the look inside where the magic happens. No pressure washing, steam cleaning doesnt force moisture into places where u dont want it. This Engine had a thick layer of grime when I purchased it. There was power steering fluid caked everywhere. Even the rubber hoses and anodized components look new again!

Last edited by Brewtech; 04-22-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Agreed on removing the chrome arch covers. Two reasons, for every person who likes the look of those, it'll turn off at least 2 others, so you are really limiting your audience. Seeing those chrome covers automatically raises questions, "are they hiding something?" Dent, corrosion, etc. or "are they causing corrosion?" When they search the car's history, and see that it came from an island (salt air), in the northeast (harsh winters), that will be a big concern.

Unless you have to sell it, I would recommend you take it off the market for a few months, everyone who would be interested now has seen it, and the longer it's advertised the more they will assume something is wrong with it. Make the necessary changes, fix any niggling things, and take all new photographs in a different location before you put it back on the market. Ask $9900 or Best Offer, and put in the text that you will consider sincere/fair offers.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Early facelift cars are a tough sell. They are odd becasue they have the new tail section and the old bumpers. They also have the old 3 speed trans and none of the improvements of the 1994+ 6.0 v12. This car needs to be priced like a late 80s car. The new face lift body had better ford wiring, was made out of better and stiffer steel and was less prone to rust but few people know this or value it. The 1992 would be a good platform for a semi custom. A T56 6 speed and bumper delete would drive and look great. It would also make good use of the early and more rev happy 5.3.

Last edited by icsamerica; 04-22-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Agreed on removing the chrome arch covers. Two reasons, for every person who likes the look of those, it'll turn off at least 2 others, so you are really limiting your audience. Seeing those chrome covers automatically raises questions, "are they hiding something?" Dent, corrosion, etc. or "are they causing corrosion?" When they search the car's history, and see that it came from an island (salt air), in the northeast (harsh winters), that will be a big concern.

Unless you have to sell it, I would recommend you take it off the market for a few months, everyone who would be interested now has seen it, and the longer it's advertised the more they will assume something is wrong with it. Make the necessary changes, fix any niggling things, and take all new photographs in a different location before you put it back on the market. Ask $9900 or Best Offer, and put in the text that you will consider sincere/fair offers.

Good luck!
Good advice. I will be driving it up north again soon. Have been afraid to remove the chrome but it makes sense. I don't think there is anything hidden but the paint will likely look different. Maybe it will buff out...

Old 04-23-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi gccch

Get a rapport with a dealer and ask if he will put it in his Showroom in return for an agreed fixed fee if he sells it for you, as for many and various reasons there are a lot of people who feel a lot more reassured when buying from a dealer who may give them a Guarantee, which a Private Seller may be unable to do

Gotta be worth a shot I would have thought

Old 04-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Also, I've taken another look at your photos, and while you appear to have tried to find an attractive location with a fountain, OB's right (on the other thread): emphasizes the "Miami Vice" glamour aspect a bit more. The photos are good quality (in focus, well exposed in general), but fairly prosaic in composition: they show what the car is, but most people in the market already know what an XJS looks like.
In addition to the glamour shots for the wish-fulfilment part (bikini babes optional), include shots of common problem areas like the driver's seat bolster, potential rust areas (to show there isn't any), paint issues, and so on to show you're a realist as well. Also, there's a trail of liquid in the photo of the RH door that, while probably isn't from the car, might raise a few eyebrows. And looked at up close, that engine bay is really mucky. Too clean is suspicious, but at least get rid of the scale and oxidation from the manifold and so on. The disparity between the very clean-looking exterior/interior and the very dirty engine might also raise a few eyebrows.
Personally, I wouldn't remove the side stripes--coupled with the blacked-out sills and the black around the windows, they help give the car an interesting B&W contrast, and define the sides, which can look very flat in a white car.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Also, I've taken another look at your photos, and while you appear to have tried to find an attractive location with a fountain, OB's right (on the other thread): emphasizes the "Miami Vice" glamour aspect a bit more. The photos are good quality (in focus, well exposed in general), but fairly prosaic in composition: they show what the car is, but most people in the market already know what an XJS looks like.
In addition to the glamour shots for the wish-fulfilment part (bikini babes optional), include shots of common problem areas like the driver's seat bolster, potential rust areas (to show there isn't any), paint issues, and so on to show you're a realist as well. Also, there's a trail of liquid in the photo of the RH door that, while probably isn't from the car, might raise a few eyebrows. And looked at up close, that engine bay is really mucky. Too clean is suspicious, but at least get rid of the scale and oxidation from the manifold and so on. The disparity between the very clean-looking exterior/interior and the very dirty engine might also raise a few eyebrows.
Personally, I wouldn't remove the side stripes--coupled with the blacked-out sills and the black around the windows, they help give the car an interesting B&W contrast, and define the sides, which can look very flat in a white car.
I kinda agree with the door strips, theyre not an eyesore, so leave em on. What is suspicious about a clean engine and bay? If anything it will reveal any oil leaks if there are any.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

If it's too clean, it might suggest that you've just cleaned up any leaks. And that you're trying to appeal to the immediate impression--"my god, it's so clean! It must be in great shape!"
See here for example.
Or here.
Both of these are warnings. From the latter:
Tip #2 – Beware Of The Armor All & Steam Clean Trick
A lot of used cars go through a process before they are put up for sale whether at a dealership or when being sold by a private seller. Detailing the inside of the car and a good wash/wax on the outside is to be expected of somebody trying to get top dollar for their car. But what you want to beware of is the super-clean engine compartment that shines like the car is brand spanking new. When a car’s engine has been meticulously steam cleaned, it is almost impossible for anybody to see if there are any leaks. A well-maintained, leak-free used car usually does not require the seller to do very much to the engine. I’m always extra cautious when something looks too clean.
So cleaner than it is, but not too clean. So it looks well-used, but not neglected.

Quick Reply: No luck selling