XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Now what?! TPS? Stuck pedal? Vid inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 10,378 Likes on 6,861 Posts

AHA.

Probably Roger Bywater had a play with that, he really is the man.

I seem to remember that spacer came from the PreHE set up on the D Jetronic switch that is a mongrel to set up on a good day. You reckon the HE TPS etc is a pain, get stick into a D Jetronic, if you dont drink before hand, you will by the time you sort that sucker.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
This is to ensure the ham-fisted do not set the rods so the throttles are held open by the rods/capstan system, but, once the spacers are removed, are properly against the throttle body stops, with a tiny bit of free play on the rods system, including a bit of play in case of thermal expansion of the rods etc when the heat gets into the engine.
interesting thanks. Can't wait till these bushings come so I can get this thing all set!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Spot on.

The manual does mention that, but its just habit now for me, same as the LH and RH threaded rods. Seen a few of them snapped due to the lack of thought of the spanner man, and the manual does not tell you that one.

V12's are so special, just like most owners.
ha I think this car is turning me special.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Ok I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm going to get some proper larger feeler gauges tomorrow but for now I took a smaller plug gauge I had which I put at .03mm which is like half the size of the .003" gauge I need. I put it between the butterfly and top of the body. And my stop screw at that size already needs to come out a few threads. And in doing so the throttle stand isn't at stop it's open a bit. Basically even when I used the .012 blade the stop screw needed to come out... i mean the plates should not be fully closed correct?

Old 09-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

When I did mine I disconnected the rods at the TB end, (opposite end to the capstan) this isolates each TB and allows you to adjust them with out interference from the capstan.

Then put the rods on 1 at a time and adjust each so the capstan is a a thou or so off the stop.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:26 PM

I adjusted the butterfly's to .03mm just to test and the rods as well. It's running good but the idle is like 2500... ha

Old 09-05-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd love to find a wire gauge that has a .002 size on it. Feeler gauges are flexible enough to use, but I know they are reading farther down the curve than desired.

.03 is 12 times the gap you want. Big diff.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:16 PM

0.03MM is 0.001INCHES.

If its running that fast with 0.001 at each throttle disc, the AAV is jammed wide open, or there is a massive vac leak.

I see the bolts for the air filter backings are in place, so not that.

Is the throttle cable disconnected, if so, planB or such, but if itis, disconnect it for now. The throttle stuff on the engine needs to be isolated from anything that may fudge the settings.

With it running, plug the AAV inlet, the hole in the LH air filter backing near the rear corner, with your thumb, and if that idle drops to almost stall, then the AAV is top of the list.

The bushes took up all the play in the horizontal rods????.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

doh! I don't know how I didn't see the mm.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:18 PM

0.03MM is 0.001INCHES.

If its running that fast with 0.001 at each throttle disc, the AAV is jammed wide open, or there is a massive vac leak.

I see the bolts for the air filter backings are in place, so not that.

Is the throttle cable disconnected, if so, planB or such, but if itis, disconnect it for now. The throttle stuff on the engine needs to be isolated from anything that may fudge the settings.

With it running, plug the AAV inlet, the hole in the LH air filter backing near the rear corner, with your thumb, and if that idle drops to almost stall, then the AAV is top of the list.

The bushes took up all the play in the horizontal rods????.
Yeah, that's why I got real confused with it at .03mm. Also at that the screw stop is almost all the way out. There's no way at .003" the stop will go out far enough it'll just be screwed all the way out....So I'm confused at that as well. I did have the throttle cable connected so I'll disconnect that when I can get back around to it. I'll also have to try the aav thumb trick. I've been wondering about that dumb thing since the beginning but also I think a vacuum leak exists. Pretty sure I only got 5hg at the ecu a few weeks ago.

oh and yes the bushings are that sloppy.

Last edited by 944xjs; 09-05-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by JigJag
ha I should prob just stick with one unit of measure

Old 09-06-2017, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,143 Likes on 5,378 Posts

The feeler gauge must be inserted at the BOTTOM of the butterfly.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by 944xjs
Yeah, that's why I got real confused with it at .03mm. Also at that the screw stop is almost all the way out. There's no way at .003" the stop will go out far enough it'll just be screwed all the way out....So I'm confused at that as well. I did have the throttle cable connected so I'll disconnect that when I can get back around to it. I'll also have to try the aav thumb trick. I've been wondering about that dumb thing since the beginning but also I think a vacuum leak exists. Pretty sure I only got 5hg at the ecu a few weeks ago.

oh and yes the bushings are that sloppy.
This simply makes NO sense.

All my, and other peoples, V12's have the stop screws barely half the length exposed, being sufficient to give the clearances needed.

If you have 0.001" as your bench mark, and those screws are falling out, you have something serious screwed up. I simply cannot even picture what would do that, the springs hold the discs back on the stops quite firmly, and thats it.

Out on a limb thinking. The splined arms at the rear of the horizontal shafts, just where the bushes go, may be ill adjusted, BUT, with the rods OFF they do NOTHING, and then only affect WOT angles if they are out of whack.

Are the throttle bodies clean????.

Remove the stop screws, carefully close the discs, and ensure they actually close off. Dont be dumb here, as the discs will jam in the housings, and then damage can be done unjamming them.

Now what?! TPS? Stuck pedal? Vid inside-v12-throttle-body-parts-drawing.png

Unless plate #5 is not fitted to the spindle correctly., I still cannot get my head around this stop screw #14 being too short, it is simply not possible.

A real outside suggestion, and I have NEVER seen it in all my years. Item #13 is the bush/s for the spindles, 4 per car. If they were worn to the ridiculous, then all sorts of weird stuff would be going on, but as I said, I have NEVER seen them worn very bad at all. Seals #11 missing/worn, hell yes, but causing no issues of any real concern.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 734 Posts

Real long shot......possible that throttle discs have been assembled wrong way round at some point. Because of the angle cut edge of the disc it will effect the shaft position when closed.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The feeler gauge must be inserted at the BOTTOM of the butterfly.
i did it both ways.

This simply makes NO sense.
All my, and other peoples, V12's have the stop screws barely half the length exposed, being sufficient to give the clearances needed.

If you have 0.001" as your bench mark, and those screws are falling out, you have something serious screwed up. I simply cannot even picture what would do that, the springs hold the discs back on the stops quite firmly, and thats it.

Out on a limb thinking. The splined arms at the rear of the horizontal shafts, just where the bushes go, may be ill adjusted, BUT, with the rods OFF they do NOTHING, and then only affect WOT angles if they are out of whack.

Are the throttle bodies clean????.

Remove the stop screws, carefully close the discs, and ensure they actually close off. Dont be dumb here, as the discs will jam in the housings, and then damage can be done unjamming them.

Attachment 202386

Unless plate #5 is not fitted to the spindle correctly., I still cannot get my head around this stop screw #14 being too short, it is simply not possible.

A real outside suggestion, and I have NEVER seen it in all my years. Item #13 is the bush/s for the spindles, 4 per car. If they were worn to the ridiculous, then all sorts of weird stuff would be going on, but as I said, I have NEVER seen them worn very bad at all. Seals #11 missing/worn, hell yes, but causing no issues of any real concern.
Yeah I'm going to get a proper feeler gauge. Maybe the little gauge I had was getting in the way of something... I don't know. I'm going to clean the throttle bodies as well cause I think there's a bit of buildup but I'm not sure it's enough to create a huge issue. I've got bushings coming but like you said, with the throttle poles off it wouldn't make a difference anyway. The gauge I was using must've been getting in the way of something.

Originally Posted by baxtor
Real long shot......possible that throttle discs have been assembled wrong way round at some point. Because of the angle cut edge of the disc it will effect the shaft position when closed.
I don't know if it was ever apart, but I guess anything possible... actually I'm pretty sure the stop screws were different wrench sizes for each side. Hmm

Old 09-06-2017, 11:34 PM

Oh goodness, well I'm almost too embarrassed to reveal my discovery. The little feeler gauges I have are in inches not mm. They got left out in the rain once and tarnished... I cleaned them but can barely see the numbers... and there is mm on them but with a different number above. So, my throttle bodies are now set at .03". haha, I need to slow down.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:25 AM

DRINK MORE, its easier.

And YES, the different size stop bolts on each side is normal, ALL mine have been like that, so worry not.

ANY crud inside and on the edge of the discs can and will upset Her Majesty, so get em right, and clean them again at each oil change, simple no brainer.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-07-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

I adjusted the butterfly's to .03mm just to test and the rods as well. It's running good but the idle is like 2500... ha
.03 is 12 times the gap you want. Big diff.
0.03MM is 0.001INCHES.
​​​​​​​
So, my throttle bodies are now set at .03". haha, I need to slow down.
I'm psychic!

I swear, when I read your initial post I pictured my (.in) feeler gauges and knew which one you were talking about. By the way, mine are hard to read from rust damage too.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:06 AM

HAHAHAHA, mine are hard to read from usage, and old age eyesight.

Better excuse than either of those, leaving tools etc out in the weather, and not storing them properly is a sackable offence in my workshop (home garage).

The following users liked this post:
warrjon (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:11 AM

DRINK MORE, its easier.

And YES, the different size stop bolts on each sid eis normal, ALL mine have been like that, so worry not.

ANY crud inside and on the edge of the discs can and will upset Her Majesty, so get em right, and clean them again at each oil change, simole no brainer.
ha maybe it's the drinking that's allowing such mistakes. Definitely going to clean the throttle bodies and get them set right. Then if it's still idle hunting going to try the thumb in the aav.

I'm psychic!

I swear, when I read your initial post I pictured my (.in) feeler gauges and knew which one you were talking about. By the way, mine are hard to read from rust damage too.
Ha, yeah I think is time for some new gauges. I can't see crap