XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

OIL In Filter??huh?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 98 XJR Pass. Side Valve Cover has tube that goes into Intake, Oil in AirFilter why?

98 XJR, nice car, Rebuilt Transmission, Rebuilt SC,ported/polished, Got hp package from Jaguarxp, Boral Exhaust, Smaller Pulley high performance airfilter. very happy with it.

Went to clean and recharge my filter though and it is getting oil in it from the piping from the valve cover, the piece is located on passenger side valve cover.. Alot of oil for that matter, drenched the bottomof the filter and leaked onto the floor. When I took off the piece from the valve cover I expected to see an egr valve etc? But nothing. Just an elbow with a tube going to the air intake.

Any ideas?

thank you

rlover

Last edited by Rlover; 04-03-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: more descriptive
Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

That is not a very good sign at all, and you should have the engine inspected by a mechanic familiar with Jaguars.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 AM

thanks. Can you tell me more about what it might be?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Well, it isn't an XJS, so we're doing this in the wrong catagory but it won't matter much. "Clean and recharge the filter", I'm taking this to mean you have a KN or similar air filter that gets oiled after cleaning.

The tube on the passenger's side to the cam cover is the full load breather. There is a wire mesh screen inside the cam cover, but no PCV valve as such, and I think that's what you were asking about.

Crancase vapor is meant to exit the engine through this tube and get re-burned as it enters the throttle body duct, and a small amount of oil will inevitably accumulate inside this full load breather tube, the air duct hose, throttle body, and collect in the intake manifold. If engine blow by is extreme, so is the amount of oil that is drawn out of the crankcase. That's when the air cleaner housing on a stock XJR or XJ/XK will start collecting evidence.

On the other cam cover is a smaller hose, which is the part load breather. There is a 3/32" orifice through the cam cover, where the hose attaches. This orifice gets plugged up, and Jaguar issued a bulletin to instruct that it is checked for blockage every 10,000 miles. If blocked, this may have some effect on how much oil is being drawn into your intake tract.

It's quite possible that your engine has a significant blowby problem. It is probably smoking quite a bit if you remove the oil cap when the engine is warm and running. Find a mechanic who is familiar with these engines, and don't hold your breath for a cheap and easy answer.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 PM

The drivers side full load breather is not plugged. Ran the car to full warm, removed oil fill cover and would not describe it as smoking, but more wispy/vaporish. car passes emission test in NH fine.

Question for you. The after market airfilter has a heat shield. I would like to set up a catch container for that full load bleeder and pipe it to a container. Perfect platform for a container on that heat shield./ is this Full load breather piping need to exit into the intake for performance? Would like to keep it clean.

thxs

Old 04-03-2009, 02:25 PM

That sort of thing is not my cup of tea. Perhaps someone else will chime in. Skanoski has an XJR motor puking oil into a catch can for a while before his blew up, maybe he can advise you of the setup he used.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

no you checked the full load breather. The part load breather is the 1 Jagtech was reffering to that gets plugged. Other than that you have a nicaseal block which back then became known to have excessive blowby creating too much oil in the air intake tube and consequently the air box...I know JT hates when I say this.....but if the part load breather is clean, try using 2 bottle of 6 cylinder ENGINE RESTORE(we have 8qt oil cap so 1 V8 bottle is not enough) with each oil change.....If this doesnt slow or stop the excessive blowby.....youll need a rebuild, new engine since the ring seal cylinder walls have gone away

Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks Brutal. I piped the pass side Breather into a catch that sits next air intake filter. My brother in law owns a machine shop and says he would rather build me a motor than rebuild mine. I said Ok, BUT I need it to crank out 450hp anything less will not do!! thanks again You guys for your feedback and knowledge.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Well those engines are a dime a dozen when they need to be rebuilt. And he can sleeve the block to rid you of the nicaseal issue. Then i would do head work, and exhaust(like extrude hone the exhaust manifolds) 450 should be more than doable. We have a car in the shop now with exhaust, intake, pulleys, and methanol/water injection system. The tech working on it unhooked it cause he didnt know why it was tied into the mass air flow sensor(it needs the voltage sig) problem is the previous owner had the work done and the present owner and the tech is clueless on its operation. I had to show him how it was wired, of course then i got the "it isnt hooked up cause there's no reservoir" .....uh yes there is, see this line to the washer tank, its switch between the washer reservoir and washers when needed and this green led light shows system activation...and that why some tech dont think performance parts are worth a crap..its an easy way to avoid saying you know nothing about it.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Default Opo goes the Jag

Well taking my kids to TaeKwon do last night and poof, full on blue smoke out the tail and dropped all the oil out the motor. Calling Triple A this am for its hundred mile journey to my brother in law's. He is going to build me a beast. Stay tuned for updates. It is a free project minus parts so should be a few months... But yeah, Going to be rebuilt, Nitros, Machined heads, manifolds hiflow etc. I am pissed because I have spent 10k on restoring the car in the past year, so might as well keep going. The 98 XJR is very retro and well not many left. Funny my 03 Stype R has never given me a problem[knock on wood] I guess because I am the original owner and always synthethic and dealer maintained? This 98 xjr was a lease from Florida and well at 100k the motor is smoked showing zero care for her. Be back on asking for recommnedations soon. Very thankful to You Jag Techs whom know what the **** they are talking about! You guys are the best!!!

rlover