XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Overcharging, misbehaving radio and dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Overcharging, misbehaving radio and dash lights

I've been having some odd issues lately, starting with the battery overcharging. It didn't seem so noteworthy at first - just a bit over 13 and even then consistently. Now it's starting to charge higher and higher.

Gauge cluster is misbehaving - only one light is illuminated. When I hook the cluster up to constant 12v current, they're all on but in the car it's just the one. Needless to say, the drive home was a bit harrowing.

The trip computer recorded about a half hour's worth of fuel economy as either 99 or 0, but after being shut down for a bit behaved again.

The radio is begging for a code every time I start up. Could be a problem with the constant power, yes, but with all the other electrical gremlins I can't help but think they're related.

I'm almost thinking voltage regulator, and that's making me a bit nervous cos that thing's on the alternator and I am not happy about the prospect of removing that thing.

Any advice is welcome.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
I've been having some odd issues lately, starting with the battery overcharging. It didn't seem so noteworthy at first - just a bit over 13 and even then consistently. Now it's starting to charge higher and higher.

Sounds like a voltage regulator to me.

But.....

Didn't someone once post that a poorly grounded alternator can overcharge?

Gauge cluster is misbehaving - only one light is illuminated. When I hook the cluster up to constant 12v current, they're all on but in the car it's just the one. Needless to say, the drive home was a bit harrowing.

Poor connection at the cluster plug-ins?

Also, running a redundant ground to the cluster often cures wonky cluster behavior on these cars

The trip computer recorded about a half hour's worth of fuel economy as either 99 or 0, but after being shut down for a bit behaved again.

The radio is begging for a code every time I start up. Could be a problem with the constant power, yes, but with all the other electrical gremlins I can't help but think they're related.

I suspect loss of supply voltage. That could happen in various places along the line. I'd begin by checking the "+" junction posts on the firewall

I'm almost thinking voltage regulator, and that's making me a bit nervous cos that thing's on the alternator and I am not happy about the prospect of removing that thing.

It isn't all that bad. Not a pleasure cruise, but not all that bad.

Any advice is welcome.
You have a weird collection of symptoms. Hard to now if or how they're related.

Checking-cleaning-tightening the main grounds, battery cables, and "+" supply posts is never a bad place to begin. Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-01-2015, 05:37 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Doug has a very sound list there.

The main engine earth strap fiasco at the LH engine mount is the cause of many, many issues.

Fit a seperate earth strap from the engine to the chassis. I use a sump bolt for one end, and a front cradle V mount bolt on the LH side, thus giving a DIRECT earth path to the chassis.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Happened to me and it was a loose battery terminal

Negative I think

Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for all the tips, seems a rather exhaustive list - just the way I like 'em.

I think today I'm going to pull the radio and check the connections. There's a chance the constant power connection just isn't solid. Then I'm going to double-check every single ground I can find, as well as the battery terminals. If this doesn't work, I'll have to steel myself with a little bottled-in-bond liquid courage and go after that alternator.