XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Prospective New Owner...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

In the "FAQ Quick Link" thread at the top of the XJS section is a buyers guide that might help

Originally Posted by freight
firstly, is the V12 really as unreliable as it's rumored to be? i'll be sure to check for signs of overheating when i look at ones for sale but i'm planning to drive the car regularly(if not daily). If the V12 is really as finicky as people say
Yes.

No.

The egine itself is like a BMW engine: will go forever if cared for and, as you know, not overheated.

As for everything bolted TO the engine, and the entire rest of the car, your ownership experience will depend greatly on the care the car has rec'd over the years. Unless you find (and pay for) an exceptional example I can all but promise that you'll be dumping money into it.

With some care and effort a V12 XJS can be reliable.

secondly, i've been looking at the price of parts and it seems that the exterior/trim/etc is whats truly expensive. i haven't really seen any mechanical parts like rotors/tie rods/hoses/whatever that are any more expensive than bmw equivalents.

Right

i'm a little concerned about the rumored lucas electrics but everyone says old bmw's have terribly unreliable electronics, yet i've never had a problem.

The Lucas rumors are true. They're also over blown. You'll probably have some problems. They probably won't be major. Dirty/loose/corroded connections and grounds account for 90% of the Lucas horror stories.

how expensive is it to maintain one of these cars?(once it's up to speed)

Assuming DIY labor, not bad at all. If you'll be paying shop labor....well...it's gonna get expensive in a hurry, if you can find someone to work on it.

also, how hard is to to source parts?

Generally no problems at all. Lots of aftermarket support, lots of used stuff.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impossible to advise 12 cylinder or 6. Iv'e had them both and they are completely different.The V12 in its standard form drives a little like a luxury saloon car in a party frock. Turbine like and silky smooth and powerful but over 200lb heavier up front than the 6.
My current car is the 1990 pre facelift 3.6 with the Getrag 5 speed manual and up to 70 MPH keeps up easily with a V12. i.e 0-60MPH in 7.1 secs. My car has the sportspack with tighter springs and definately feels sportier than a standard V12. The AJ6 6cylinder cars are reputed to be the most reliable engine ever produced by Jaguar and can comfortably be tuned to
300 BHP +.
Saying that, everyone should own the V12 once in a lifetime - Just for the hell of it. You are lucky gas is so cheap in the States. My 5.3 HE used to average 13 - 14 MPG on a run. The 3.6 averages 22 and cruising in 5th returns 29 mpg. In my case this is the difference between using the car for special occasions only and driving it regularly just for fun.
In fact I just got back from a 50 mile trip and took these snaps.
Double click the image and double click the larger image for full page pic.
Good luck with your search.