XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Radio troubleshoot guidance needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Radio troubleshoot guidance needed

Hi all,

I have a 92 coupe with what I believe is an original jag radio, where the security light will flash but that is the only sign of life. I was told that means it is getting power but I do not know which wires to test or supply power to for testing. I do have a security code from the prior owner, but the radio had been removed from the car previously. Mis-matched screws holding it in.

Where would you begin? Assuming this is an original radio, with original wiring, what is the troubleshooting process?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
Hi all,

I have a 92 coupe with what I believe is an original jag radio, where the security light will flash but that is the only sign of life. I was told that means it is getting power but I do not know which wires to test or supply power to for testing. I do have a security code from the prior owner, but the radio had been removed from the car previously. Mis-matched screws holding it in.

Where would you begin? Assuming this is an original radio, with original wiring, what is the troubleshooting process?

Thanks in advance.
I don't have an electrical wiring manual in front of me but for most radios, there are two inputs to the radio for power. One is from a switched source, usually through the ignition switch in accessory position. The other one is a "keep alive" source from the battery or "HOT" all the time for the station preset memory. The Electrical manual will have the exact plug pin configuration but if you want to experiment, you can pull the radio out and probe the plug for power and ground. With key off, probe the plug pins and you should find at least one pin with battery power. That should be the HOT Batt for keep alive memory preset when the radio is turned off. Then turn key to accessory or run and probe for switched power. This will be a different pin and this is the actual operating power pin. Back to off and probe for a good ground one or two of the pins. The other pins are the speakers. There may be a single wire for the security light but that has nothing to do with radio power or operating the radio. Hope that helps.

Last edited by carsnplanes; 12-03-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
I don't have an electrical wiring manual in front of me but for most radios, there are two inputs to the radio for power. One is from a switched source, usually through the ignition switch in accessory position. The other one is a "keep alive" source from the battery or "HOT" all the time for the station preset memory. The Electrical manual will have the exact plug pin configuration but if you want to experiment, you can pull the radio out and probe the plug for power and ground. With key off, probe the plug pins and you should find at least one pin with battery power. That should be the HOT Batt for keep alive memory preset when the radio is turned off. Then turn key to accessory or run and probe for switched power. This will be a different pin and this is the actual operating power pin. Back to off and probe for a good ground one or two of the pins. The other pins are the speakers. There may be a single wire for the security light but that has nothing to do with radio power or operating the radio. Hope that helps.
I have probed the wires to the round 7 pin connector which looks like the power supply. I get 0.6 volts at two of the pins and nothing on any of the others regardless of where the ignition key is positioned. I think my radio is not getting any power. The fuse (#7) is not blown. What else could be causing this?

Old 12-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch

I have probed the wires to the round 7 pin connector which looks like the power supply. I get 0.6 volts at two of the pins and nothing on any of the others regardless of where the ignition key is positioned. I think my radio is not getting any power. The fuse (#7) is not blown. What else could be causing this?
You have a strange radio . According to the diagram, the seat heater needs to be on for fuse 7 to be hot. it's strange, but try it for giggles.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:41 PM

Today’s I had an aftermarket radio installed" . The original was dead. Wiring was good, and as a bonus they hooked up my replacement power antenna. So now I have Bluetooth hands free and mp3 capabili and supposedly connects to my google maps. All better....