rear breaks locked on my xjsc A REG

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear breaks locked on my xjsc A REG

MY jaguar xjsc rear breaks are locked up how do I free them

Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

On the Inboard brake system of what I think you have, 1983 in your profile, the use of the Park Brake is the most common reason.

BUT,

Its an XJ-S, so maybe the "drop down" mechanism of the in cabin lever is giving grief. Raise that lever, and whilst holding it in the raised position, push the button IN and lower the lever, ALL in one fluid movement. That "should" release the rear caliper cable.

If that is unsuccessful, at least the cable is now is the slack position, so lay on the ground, just in front of the LHR wheel, reach under the car, FEEL around for the Park Brake Left hand most arm, up on top of the LH brake assembly, and PULL, and I mean a STRONG PULL, towards the LHR wheel, and if the Jag Gods are with you, it might just move enough to release the Park Brake.

You may have to raise the car a tad to get under, depends how "stout" you are built. I needed to raise one a whilst back, to do that for my nephew, when his jammed, after I told him NOT to use the Park Brake, but the female with him muddled his processing unit, and he applied said brake. It took some SERIOUS pulling to move that caliper enough so he could drive home.

Once released, the cradle needs to come out, and the Park Brake calipers serviced and lubed, and reset.

I never used the Park Brake on any of mine, the "P" worked just fine, BUT, I know that MOT requires it to be operational.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr jag lover
MY jaguar xjsc rear breaks are locked up how do I free them
Welcome to the forum Mr jag lover,

I've deleted the duplicate of this thread which you posted earlier.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

And if it is not the handbrake, try undoing the flexible that connects the brakeline from the front of the car to the cage. This is only accessible from under the car, and is on the [LHS] CORRECTION RHS (ie UK driver's side) of the axle cage at the top. If it has never been renewed, it collapses and acts as a non-return valve.
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 04-26-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Grant Francis (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

This just happened on my 89. No warning. Set the parking brake one day, came out the next and released it. PARK BRAKE light goes off like it should. Started down the road and the car just felt "heavy."

I proceeded to drive it for a full month and then put her in for other work. While they had it up on the rack, I get a phone call: "We need you to come look at something."

It took everything we had to make the rear wheels turn by hand with the car in neutral. You could budge them just a little bit. Looked at the pads, they appeared fine. The shop is scratching their head and I said, "check the e-brake." Sure enough, the calipers had released just enough to let the car roll but then stopped. They popped the e-brake cable off and the car rolled freely.

I hate -- and I mean HATE -- ratchet-style e-brakes. They're useless and cause more trouble than they fix.

Jess

Grant Francis (04-27-2017)