XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Remove spring from Koni

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 08:32 PM
Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Remove spring from Koni

I have a new set of Japanese KYB shocks for the 88 convertible. The car came with Koni shocks, not sure how long they have been there but the ride does not seem up to Jaguar standards of comfort.
The problem is I am not sure how to remove the top eyelet to get the spring off the old Koni units. I spent over an hour on Google and Jaguar forums. Lots of info on adjusting a Koni, lots of info on removing the nut that seems to be on the top of nearly all the Koni units I found. Nothing at all on a Koni with eyelets both ends.
I hope the top of the shaft on my Koni is not threaded. If it is that could be a struggle to lock the shaft while turning the eyelet. Anybody know the answer ?
The KYB has a slick way of attaching the top spring retainer with a slotted disc.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by richardsjags
I have a new set of Japanese KYB shocks for the 88 convertible. The car came with Koni shocks, not sure how long they have been there but the ride does not seem up to Jaguar standards of comfort.
The problem is I am not sure how to remove the top eyelet to get the spring off the old Koni units. I spent over an hour on Google and Jaguar forums. Lots of info on adjusting a Koni, lots of info on removing the nut that seems to be on the top of nearly all the Koni units I found. Nothing at all on a Koni with eyelets both ends.
I hope the top of the shaft on my Koni is not threaded. If it is that could be a struggle to lock the shaft while turning the eyelet. Anybody know the answer ?
The KYB has a slick way of attaching the top spring retainer with a slotted disc.

I don't have Konis but from memory they were the same as stock, the bottom seat is held by a split collet set up. Compress the spring then move it toward the top along with the lower spring seat. The two halves of the collet will then come away from the circlip on lower damper body.

The circlip for retaining collets can be seen on lower damper body.

Last edited by baxtor; 01-01-2024 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:31 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

In the picture the spring compressor seems to be holding the lower plate of the shock, try to compress just the spring, this might let you se the "collets", something like the way some head valves are held... I hope I am being clear.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

I recently discovered that the split collets on mine were stuck in place. I loosened them up by spraying with brake cleaner, then hammering a thin cold chisel into the gaps between the collet halves, to get them sliding around. Then I compressed the spring using the method in the photos below with two old brake rotors and threaded rods. The first photo shows the method I learned from this site, the second a similar approach that employs something short and strong to hold the damper’s bottom eyelet to under the rotor. Either way, the idea is to push the lower spring seat off the collets by tightening nuts on the threaded rods. Jag rear rotors are good for this as the hub bore is big enough to let the collets drop out.

Old 01-03-2024, 01:50 AM

Thanks for replies and suggestions.
The collets are indeed under the lower spring retainer. In my Google and Youtube searches I did not see that.
Used a borrowed spring compressor which is not quite ideal, the idea of using two hubs or similar at either end to compress the spring is probably better.
In any event, all buttoned up and ready to go with grease and Loctite on all items as appropriate. This car has 131,000km on the clock, only done 13,000km since bought 16 years ago.
Never, ever, driven in rain since I bought it and pretty much rust free.
Next job is to replace front shocks, and that should be easier.

Koni collets

Koni Collets

KYBs fitted and ready to go.

The following 2 users liked this post by richardsjags:
dangoesfast (01-04-2024), Mkii250 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Lookin’ good! I didn’t think the spring compressor you had would work—good to know it’s ok.

Old 01-04-2024, 03:17 PM

That style of spring compressor is marginal. I borrowed it from a friend.
The claws that wrap around the spring coils make the internal clearance to fit the new KYBs very tight. I only just got the KYBs to fit. The other style using 2 old hubs or similar is better.

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 06:45 PM
Received 358 Likes on 211 Posts

When I got to that point on my project I decided it was something I wasn't comfortable with. So I took the old assembled shocks and the new shocks in their boxes to a local shop and asked them to mount them. They had the proper equipment and the knowledge of how to use it safely. I picked them up the next day and paid about $40. Well worth it in my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (01-05-2024)