XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New shocks and springs for my XJS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New shocks and springs for my XJS

I ordered the Sport Spring Set from the Driven Man.com for my 1995 XJS 4.0. I installed the front springs and my new Bilstein shocks over the last couple of days. I used the threaded rod method to remove the first spring, after 2 hours of wrenching, the first spring was out. I figured I would try a floor jack to assist with the install, I kept the threaded rods in place, jacked the spring up about 1/2 way, threaded the nuts up to the bottom of the pan then jacked up the rest of the way and secured the spring pan in place, this took less than 1/2 the time as the removal. I also replaced the shock. Thanks to AllanG for giving me the torque spec for the eye bolt nut.
The new springs dropped the ride height from 15 1/2 to 14 1/2 inches. The ride quality also increased.
The one thing I did notice, is that I now get a squeak from the suspension. I removed the shock and tested, still had the squeak. Don't know what to do about the squeak, any thoughts.

I will do the rear shocks and springs in the near future and will report on that when done.
Keep it on the road.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:16 PM

Took the car for shakedown drive, she I got back looked like the suspension squeak is gone.OTE=EJ Garity;937168]I ordered the Sport Spring Set from the Driven Man.com for my 1995 XJS 4.0. I installed the front springs and my new Bilstein shocks over the last couple of days. I used the threaded rod method to remove the first spring, after 2 hours of wrenching, the first spring was out. I figured I would try a floor jack to assist with the install, I kept the threaded rods in place, jacked the spring up about 1/2 way, threaded the nuts up to the bottom of the pan then jacked up the rest of the way and secured the spring pan in place, this took less than 1/2 the time as the removal. I also replaced the shock. Thanks to AllanG for giving me the torque spec for the eye bolt nut.
The new springs dropped the ride height from 15 1/2 to 14 1/2 inches. The ride quality also increased.
The one thing I did notice, is that I now get a squeak from the suspension. I removed the shock and tested, still had the squeak. Don't know what to do about the squeak, any thoughts.

I will do the rear shocks and springs in the near future and will report on that when done.
Keep it on the road.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Good work !

Cheers
DD

Old 03-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very interested in your results!

I also have a 95 XJS 4.0, and had looked into the Driven Man system but I kept hearing that it lowered the v12 car and not the 4.0 car. SO I removed the two shims on each front side and got about 3/4 inch out of it. I really wanted to get all new shocks/springs as well as improve the stance but everyone seemed unsure of the best way on the facelift cars. I attached a pic of my car currently. Please fill me in as you complete the install and the details of exactly what you purchased!! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails New shocks and springs for my XJS-img_1092.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (03-26-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

the xjr rims look great!!

The following users liked this post:
ajyiii (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 08:31 PM

Like I mentioned earlier, after I did the front it lowered about an inch. I was having a tough time finding a place to put the springs on my new shocks so I bit the bullet and spent 35 bucks on one from O'Reillys, I tried it on one last night, worked good. I'ok just keep plugging along.

UOTE=ajyiii;938256]I also have a 95 XJS 4.0, and had looked into the Driven Man system but I kept hearing that it lowered the v12 car and not the 4.0 car. SO I removed the two shims on each front side and got about 3/4 inch out of it. I really wanted to get all new shocks/springs as well as improve the stance but everyone seemed unsure of the best way on the facelift cars. I attached a pic of my car currently. Please fill me in as you complete the install and the details of exactly what you purchased!! Thanks![/QUOTE]

Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Possibly your Squeak could be coming from your control arm rubbers, because you have lowered your car they are rubbing/sitting at a different point and probably not worn in there? Have you changed them, or are they still original? If original I would recommended changing them. Note: It's an utter Bastered of a Job but uppers are easier but the lowers forget it, I did it off Jack Stands never again thats why I bought a hoist!
Good Luck

Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the input. I did not replace the control arm bushings, was not feeling that adventurous, I am sure they are still original. After a shakedown drive, the squeaking subsided.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by ajyiii
I also have a 95 XJS 4.0, and had looked into the Driven Man system but I kept hearing that it lowered the v12 car and not the 4.0 car. SO I removed the two shims on each front side and got about 3/4 inch out of it. I really wanted to get all new shocks/springs as well as improve the stance but everyone seemed unsure of the best way on the facelift cars. I attached a pic of my car currently. Please fill me in as you complete the install and the details of exactly what you purchased!! Thanks!
Looks good, may we see some more pics of your vehicle?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check the Photo Albums

There is a couple more photos in the "Photo Album" section of the site. The car is out getting an upgraded exhaust system right now and having the paint buffed out proper, when it gets back I had planned on really photographing it.