XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Removing interior panels

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing interior panels

2 part question:

1) Has anyone attempted to fix their windows by taking off the panel and adjusting the glass? My passenger side window stops about 1/2" before reaching the top when fully closed. Is this just a matter of adjusting the glass once the door panel is off?

2) How do I remove the interior rear side panels to replace the courtesy light bulbs? I've noticed these turn on about 30% of the time.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

1) No, but there is a very detailed procedure in the JDHT CD that I've been recommending you to buy. Please buy it

2) You don't need to remove them, you just pry the lights out from the front using a screwdriver, again, this is shown in the manual.....

Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 AM

1) I'm have a mac....the only make these discs windows compatible.

2) Every time i pry something off I end up breaking it (i.e., hazard button)

Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by JagVilly
Every time i pry something off I end up breaking it (i.e., hazard button)
Tell me about it the plastic breaks down over time and becomes brittle

Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JagVilly
1) I'm have a mac....the only make these discs windows compatible.
I am a Mac guy too. The discs are readable by a Mac. The difference being you do not get the fancy interface to click what you want. You just have to dive through the various folders. I just took the disc and copied what I wanted to my hard drive in my own folders.

Buy the discs they are worth every penny. It will save you a ton of time on here asking questions.

The following users liked this post:
JagVilly (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Mine is an 83, so I don't know if there are any changes or not between the years. I just had my door apart a few days ago because the window had popped off the track. I don't recall seeing any adjustment for making the window raise any higher.

As mentioned, the manual CD might be your best bet.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey JagVilly, I'm not being critical here, but, I am kind of wondering if you're making any progress with your car. You seem to be all over the place with your questions and I am concerned that you are getting over whelmed or are trying to fix everything at once. I am sure that everyone on the forums has at one time or another been a little daunted at the scope of a project. These cars can be a real headache, but, once they are up and running and reliable enough to take on a Sunday drive, you forget all the trials and tribulations.

I still have a list of things to address on mine. My first project was the silicone squirt, no performance increase, no visual improvement, no instant gratification, but, it allowed me to relax and enjoy driving........while keeping an eye on the temp gauge of course.

Hang in there and take one thing at a time. Get it running right and reliable and enjoy it while you fix the little crap. I like mine a little more every time I drive it.

Trending Topics

Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 PM

HI Terry,

Thanks for your concern. Yes, I am making slow progress. I've been having to do a lot of staring and head scratching to figure things out, along with everyone's help. Its a bit daunting, but I'm up for the challenges..otherwise, I wouldn't have bought the car. I've been blessed with new cars and never had to deal with these issue before. There are tons of things I want to update, but the most pressing (which I've been posting on here) all have to do with drivability or safety (driving - turn signals/temp gauge; safety - turn signals/window closure). Getting help under the hood was to ensure I was looking at all the right places for preventive maintenance.

As soon as I can get these turn signals working I will feel much safer on the road , then will finally be able to wash the car and sleep better at night knowing my window is closed all the way.

Thanks for your help so far!

BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND:

After reading Ed Sowell's site, I have a sneaking suspicion the turn signals are being affected by the hazard button that is wonky. I picked up a spare hazard switch at a Jag graveyard. Any hints as to how I remove the switch/button from the dash?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Maybe very simple, maybe not but

Worth a try.I don't know what terry meant by (a silicone squirt) but he may have something there. My 82 xjs had that same problem till I discovered that the rubber guides that the window slides up and down in wear and the window itself becomes loose or wobbly in the track so when the lift mechanism tries to lift the window it sort of tilts to one side and eventually jams halfway up or goes very slow to the top. If this is your case, spray,lithium grease down the guides front and back. Work the window up and down till it moves freely. You'll have to wipe of the excess and every now and then relube, but this should cure the prob. P.S. Don' use wd40 or such, these lubes evaporate and your stuck again. Hope it's this simple. Odds are against it with these autos. But now and then...... My horn and blower motor fixed themselves! Lord above!!!! Bud

Old 06-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The silicone squirt is the fix for the Marelli distributor cap and rotor. I was using that as an example of fixing things that you can't see or get a feeling of accomplishment by just driving. No evidence of anything done except some peace if mind.

I will try the lube in the window channels, mine work pretty well, but, it might keep things working smoothly.