XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Resto Lump

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Received 492 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Typhoon
When I am making parts up or fitting new components, I try to make one item do several jobs or simplify installations. A few of my main goals with the vehicle have been neatness of installation, ease of maintenance and simplicity and to use parts that fit the location and intended purpose properly, rather than just grabbing whatever and making it fit, which is what absolutely ruins most conversions.
I feel ya. When you've got so many projects at once it's hard to be patient and not rush to get it done.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

One of the advantages of getting older is patience. Not that I'm truly old, but I have a lot more patience available to get things done than I did when I was younger. 10 years ago, a project this long would've seen me lose interest.
I actually find having a few things on the go at one time helps with things, it allows me to take a break from one or wait for parts and allows time to think about problems on other projects and come up with solutions.
I currently have a motorcycle build going on at the same time as the XJS- it is also fairly heavily modified!
I must have a sickness!

Originally Posted by bullittandy
I feel ya. When you've got so many projects at once it's hard to be patient and not rush to get it done.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (10-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:05 PM

I agree with everything you say about lumps Jeff.
To be honest, I don't quite understand where the idea that swapping an engine that needs a rebuild out for a conversion is cheaper came from. From the numbers I've crunched, at best it is equal in cost if you are paying someone to do the conversion.
Unfortunately, most backyard conversions are done with cost as the major concern, so as long as the engine is kind of secured into the car and runs, it is completed. Ugly, unsafe, unreliable, but done!
The only way engine conversions make financial sense is if the car was free or almost free and most of the labour is also free. I certainly wouldn't be paying someone to do this!

Originally Posted by Broken_Spanners
No worries, I know what you mean, just trying to offer suggestions, which may not be of help.

BTW, you're not building a "lump", you're building a brand new car - so re-title your thread would ya!!!!! ;-)

You've likely seen my snarky posts about lumps, and if I had owned one of your caliber, I would'nt have such a bad rap in my brain. Unfortunaltey the former owner of my old lump took a well running carb'd V12 XJ12L and had a certain outfit in TX have their way with it and got a blooming Chevy van back in return.

Total waste of money, time and ruined a car in the process. You on the other hand are actually engineering out problems and doing top shelf fab work, vs. simply dropping in a SBC for zero residual (fun) value. I'm sure I'll get flamed by others for saying so, but I say "go Typhoon" or leave the damn Jaguar engine in place.. HA!

Well done, the project is great, right down to the color (keep the Kent alloys IMO BTW)..

Jeff

Old 09-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Jeff. Don't let your 1 experience with a poorly lumped XJS fool you. My XJS is lumped and it's done properly. its a great combination of power and handling.
I had two V12's that where crap. That doesn't mean all of them where crap. Just that mine where crap. I'll buy another 89 V12 convertible someday.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BCXJS
Jeff. Don't let your 1 experience with a poorly lumped XJS fool you. My XJS is lumped and it's done properly. its a great combination of power and handling.
I had two V12's that where crap. That doesn't mean all of them where crap. Just that mine where crap. I'll buy another 89 V12 convertible someday.
Unfortunatley it wil BC (XJ12L in this case not an XJS), but at the end of the day, it's your car, and far be it for me to get (truly) upset at whatever one desires to do.

I am just a Jaguar (powered) fan, didn't start that way (could have cared less honestly), but have really grown deeply rooted in that manner. I don't believe the V12 is a perfect motor, far from it, in fact, as compared to its comparatives, it's too quiet, too slow (stock) and our beautiful yank govment nutered the poor the thing with smog crap.

Having said that, I love it, the quirks, I love wrenching on it and I adore it when folks mod the hell outta the things, it's a neat lump.

Dollars to doughuts though, the XK (6) is the crown jewel, and I'll defend that motor until my dying day. I've just done too much with it, the capabilities are literally endless and the reliability is (aside from a few late rough years), nearly bombproof. Anyone that disagrees, just give me an afternoon, a full tank of petrol and 7K RPM's and I'll change ANYONE's mind.. ;-) I understand lumping the V12, especially with drop-off qotes over $20K now, but not a six.

Cheers and enjoy your car. I'm sorry to say that my old lump was sold on, overheated for a third time (ironic) and it's rust free body was made into pop cans (before I could intervene and buy it back) as no-one wanted to give it another chance. I'll never forgive myself for that.

Jeff

Old 09-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Swapping out a decent running V12? why??

Swapping out one with a coupe of dropped valve seats or a top end burn, mebbe.

I used that guy's kit and did a decent job. Cooked my decent 4.2 DOHC 6. ) in all holes.

The LTI with 4L60E is light years ahead of the veteran DOHC and "antique" BW three speed.

Mine is not the best install, but it is quite decent and sans bodges!!! Only drilled about five small holes. O'wise used existing holes to locate the added stuff.

The purr of a V8 is enticing....

Carl

Old 09-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Swapping out a decent running V12? why??

Swapping out one with a coupe of dropped valve seats or a top end burn, mebbe.

I used that guy's kit and did a decent job. Cooked my decent 4.2 DOHC 6. ) in all holes.

The LTI with 4L60E is light years ahead of the veteran DOHC and "antique" BW three speed.

Mine is not the best install, but it is quite decent and sans bodges!!! Only drilled about five small holes. O'wise used existing holes to locate the added stuff.

The purr of a V8 is enticing....

Carl
Carl,

Some ham fisting corner shop guy couldn't get her carbs setup and talked her into a John's conversion. I bought the car thereafter on her complaint of poor mileage and proceeded to dianose a burnt valve in about two days of ownership. I found out what shop did the work and went searching for the 5.3, but it was thrown in a dumpster. I read him the riot act based on the screw job he laid on this poor women and "thanked" him for (now mine) wonderful conversion.

Come to Colorado, I'll rekindle your love of the 6, and yes, Jaguar's choices of auto boxes be in Detriot Gear, BW or early THM, skinned many a poor cat..

Lots of resaonable very usable 4.2 out there now (would love to lump a S3 XJ with a 4L or even 3.6 and nice ZF box). Not suggesting you unlump of course, glad you enjoy your car.

Jeff

Last edited by Broken_Spanners; 09-21-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:48 PM

The XK is a great engine. I'd love to stuff a 3.8 (to avoid the deck cracks) and manual trans into an XJS.
I would put the S3 EFI on it though, controlled by a modern ECU, and that would be the problem- I think the XJS engine bay wouldn't allow enough room for the intake manifold. The bonnet wouldn't be a big problem, but the firewall bracing would for sure get in the way. Of course, the AJ6 is an easy and obvious swap, but that engine has no soul!
I did think seriously about putting an XK into my car, but decent used engines aren't easy to scare up, and by decent, I mean maintained well enough for me to be comfortable with them. Sadly, Jaguars cost too much money for normal people to justify spending on their maintenance, so it gets put off till there are cascading failures, and by that time it's all over.
Interestingly, the photos of the XJS mockups at the factory had 4.2 badges on the car....

Old 10-17-2015, 08:15 PM

Finally resolved the air cleaner issue in a reasonably neat, period style sort of way. Used a Range Rover classic air filter box and universal 180 degree U bend:

As is common with early XJS's, the front bumper reinforcement on this car was a horribly rusted mess, the whole bottom half was hanging off it. I hadn't taken the bumper cover off the parts car and assumed it would be the same, but I really lucked out. The parts car had an immaculate front bar reinforcement and what is also odd is that it was raw, unpainted finish. I think it must've been replaced early in it's life or something.
Anyway, bar reinforcements painted. They are also fitted to the car now, giving some much needed protection in the garage:

And I've started in on the interior, laying underfelt, which is not a very glamorous job, but must be done! My favourite magnet holders coming in very useful yet again:

My plan for the floorboard carpets is to make the underfelt and carpets as separate pieces with vinyl backing on each, to reduce water ingress off feet and so they can be lifted out easily for drying out.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:19 AM

Again, I feel like we are in parallel universes. You jumping between air intakes, bumpers and carpet underfoot. I'm recovering seats, polishing paint and repairing dash cracks.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Jeff:

Thanks. I bought my car and liked it a lot as a DOHC. Intriguing to me as a genuine
car nut. It looked really good. Ran well. Adequate power. The BW's three speed was OK. Missed the power and fourth gear of my Tbird, but tolerable.

Had it not o'heated, why, I'll never know and cooked ????

I did a lot of deliberation as to fixing it or "lumping" it. I was still working and time was at a premium. So, I chose to lump. Not easy, by along shot.

But, it is still here, gets driven regularly and escaped "Jaguar Heaven". Ironicly, a
real Jaguar Heaven exists in Stockton, CA. That is where my calamity happened.

I enjoy all critters of the IC specie, whatever they may be.

Carl

Old 10-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

The project before the Jaguar conversion was far more extensive, but primitive.
A "Hot Rod of the Forties ". Ground up from scratch??? Model A frame, Z'd at the rear.
A axle, dropped by Mordrop. Reversed and reworked springs. Hydraulic brake conversion. Souped up 46 Ford V8. 35 Ford 16" wire wheels. And a fiber glass 27 roaster body. I was happy with all but the last. And the search was on for an affordable steel body. Unsuccessful, unfortunately..... But, although semi finished, it looked cool and ran like stink....

Carl

Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 PM

Yes, I saw your seats and they look fantastic! I won't be going with leather on my car, because it didn't come with leather upholstery and I find cloth seating more comfortable. My Daimler had the factory cloth and it was very nice indeed. I personally think Jaguar offered the cloth interiors to overseas markets that were hotter and more humid than the UK for a couple of reasons- leather doesn't do well in those conditions and leather is horrible to sit on in hot and humid conditions. I don't think it was a cost cutting exercise.
I feel it is important to remind people that the XJS didn't start life as a luxobarge and was originally of sporting intentions, and also that Jaguar has a long and proud history of making cars to be driven, not just ogled in a grassy field! Plus, people seem to forget that truly original cars (not like mine) end up being worth far more to collectors than ones modified, and that includes interiors that aren't stock.
I'm trying really hard to find proper period photos of the cloth/velour interiors of the early XJS's and can't turn any up.
I know Jaguar used a wool blend material and some of the 3.6 cars apparently had cloth interiors as well.
If I can't find any decent photos, I will probably use a tweed material for the seat faces and the rest in a correct looking vinyl, again, as the factory did.
The two interiors I have here are not good references, I have the obligatory bone vinyl door cards and the parts car has retrimmed black vinyl seats. That car is, um, interesting in it's interior, with foul green carpets and brown door trims with green carpet inserts....from the factory!

Again, I feel like we are in parallel universes. You jumping between air intakes, bumpers and carpet underfoot. I'm recovering seats, polishing paint and repairing dash cracks.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:55 PM

Been tidying up more loose ends.
A couple of photos of the bumper reinforcements on, really make the car look a lot more finished than it is:

Radiator support painted (in 2k flat for longevity), tube bracing and grille support panel finished:

Lower nose panels in epoxy primer. These will be painted with the bonnet, which will be one of the last things fitted, to make life easy in the engine bay:

Detail photo I took of the "mess" that is the XJS fuel and battery system. I have obviously moved the fuel pump and replaced it with a Bosch unit. A custom cover for this area will be made, similar to the original style:

I got tired of debating the high pressure power steering hose in my mind, so ordered some fittings and hose and made my own. Ended up being stupidly simple!
Cut through the hose with an angle grinder. Just let the cut move slowly, this abrades everything neatly:

Thread outer nut onto hose:

Insert outer nut into vise, coat all surfaces with oil, start inner nut:

Tighten:

Voila:

Note that I marked the outer hose to ensure the outer nut did not back off and to align the hose end where I wanted it.
Loosely installed onto P/S pump:

More electrical connections. I have been using the GM Weather pak connectors (on left) in the engine bay, they are simple to use and very reliable.
However, the electric cooling fan needed a higher amperage plug than the Weatherpak can handle, so I am trying a Deutsch connector in that application. It is also weatherproof and good for 25a continuous:

The following 3 users liked this post by Typhoon:
BCXJS (10-31-2015), bullittandy (11-02-2015), LnrB (10-31-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:24 AM

Today made what I am hoping is the last set of custom brackets for the car. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the build, but man I am sick of making brackets!
Additional trans cooler hanging off the grill support panel:

Old 11-08-2015, 05:45 AM

What's that trans cooler out of?

It kinda looks like one from a Ford Explorer. These are great junkyard parts, identical to aftermarket B&M coolers and cost $15 at local pullapart junkyard with dozens of choices of cars due to Explorer's popularity.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:37 PM

Yes, it's a genuine Ford external cooler. Ford Australia also used them as supplemental coolers when ordering a heavy duty cooling or towing pack.
In fact, my Australian built Ford Fairlane has one fitted from the factory.
I use them on all my cars, as you say, they are everywhere and cheap. Trans coolers never wear out, the oil prevents that.

What's that trans cooler out of?

It kinda looks like one from a Ford Explorer. These are great junkyard parts, identical to aftermarket B&M coolers and cost $15 at local pullapart junkyard with dozens of choices of cars due to Explorer's popularity.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:48 PM

I still had to sort out a remote coolant reservoir. I probably didn't NEED one, but the layout of the new engine did put the radiator fill below the coolant level of the engine in some places.
I looked at the usual suspects, the only thing Jaguar that would've worked is either an S3 XJ sedan or XJS 3.6 reservoir. As both are ridiculously overpriced and hard to find, I tried to make one.
That was a spectacular failure, although the concept was sound! I made it out of a piece of 3" stainless exhaust tube I had laying around and welded stainless sheet ends onto it and a stainless filler neck. The failure part was that I tried to use a flux core stainless steel wire with my MIG welder. It welded fine, but the parts were just too thin for it to be a successful weld. If I were to do it again, I'd just weld it up with mild steel, or tack it together and have it finish welded somewhere....
Anyway, I decided to buy a VW coolant bottle. They are cheap as dirt, available everywhere, a decent size and also have a low coolant level sensor built in:

That led to the problem of where to fit the bottle. I had initially hoped to hang it off the LH fender brace, but it was too big and hung too low.
After ages of more deliberating, I moved my uber master cylinder brace to the RH strut brace and fitted the coolant reservoir up behind the booster. Out of the way, high enough to be highest point of cooling system, and super easy to visually check and top up:

And I fitted the boot badges. They are the original badges, in near perfect condition after 40 years. Not even any corrosion pock marks! I bought new bushes to fit the trim as well. Really make the bootlid look nice!