XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Resurection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 AM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Resurection?

After far too long and some unexpected delays today I will try to get my car started.

The headliner is not back yet but it is done. Transporting it in a Mustang just won't work. lol

Yesterday I put five gallons of gas in the car and double checked all the fuel system hose connection clamps to ensure there are no leaks. The last thing n the world I want is a fire in the trunk.

I also got the Dayton wire wheel center cap back from the machine shop. I had to have the threads re-tapped and centered. He used a larger bolt that interfered with the axle hub grease cap so I has to cut it down to fit. I also used some JB Weld to ensure the bolt doesn't back out.

I have cleaned both the main tank and sump tank and coated them with a protective lining. I have a new fuel sending unit, fuel pump, fuel filter, and sump tank filter installed along with a new battery. All the hoses have been replaced and gaskets on the sump and main tank. Bottom line everything has been re-done and double checked multiple times. The entire trunk compartment looks almost brand new.

Assuming everything goes well today the next steps will be to get the car into the shop to replace the oil, change the coolant, bleed the brakes, and replace the rear end fluid.

Mechanically I still need to get the A/c and cruise control working. I did get a new cruise control unit off an old XJ6 and tested it. One of the actuators works, the other one doesn't. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I put some penetrating oil on them to see about freeing them up?

After that at some point I'll remove the air injection plumbing but that will probably have to wait until next fall or winter. I just want to get the car back on the road at this point.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by BradsCat
. I did get a new cruise control unit off an old XJ6 and tested it. One of the actuators works, the other one doesn't. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I put some penetrating oil on them to see about freeing them up?
I don't see why not; you don't have anything to lose

Cheers
DD

Old 04-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Could not resist a word play opportunity!!!

Tis Easter, the resurrection of all times....

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Doug (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 07:18 PM

A quick update, some good some not as much.

The good news. No fuel leaks or starting issues. Victory!!

On to the head scratcher. Took the drivers door mirror off to replace it. It vibrated to the point of not being able to see anything. Was told a spring or something internal was shot. When I took the mirror off the wiring fell back thru the hole. I got the four pronged connector out but couldn't get the two pronged connector so today I took the door panel off. Pulled the wiring harness thru and discovered that there is not a two ponged connector on the harness, only a single black and wire with a black connector plug in but no way it matches up with the two pronged connector on the mirror. This seemed odd so I took the passenger side mirror off and found out that side only has the four pronged connector.

Can anyone shed some light on what I should be looking at. I am fairly certain that the one time I had the mirrors off before there was a female end to the two pronged connector on the mirror wiring harness.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 PM

Got the Jag started today. It took a bit and I had it hooked up with jumper cables to my other car. After cranking on and off for about 15-20 it finally started to catch. One it did it was very rough for about another 15 minutes or so and then slowly started to smooth out and quiet down. After about an hour of idling with periodic throttle movements by hand to run the rpms up and down I finally shut it off. No leaks or drips to that was another very good sign. Tomorrow I should be able to finish putting the console back in and then all that is left is the headliner which is finally back from the shop. I'm not finished yet but getting it started is a major step forward.

The following 3 users liked this post by BradsCat:
Doug (04-22-2017), Greg in France (04-23-2017), orangeblossom (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM

More progress today. The kitty cat started much more readily today. I took her for a 10 mile test drive out to the gas station for more fuel and to fill the tires with air. Everything seemed to functioning pretty normally.
Voltmeter gauge reads just under the mid point at 13V so I am guess it is about 12.7/8

Temperature gauge is showing perfectly normal. Actually just a hair toward the cool side so that's very good.

Oil pressure gauge comes up to normal at driving speeds and drops down at idle. An oil change is at the top of the list once I get the car all put back together.

Gas gauge has me a bit concerned. The car now has about 10 gallons of gas in it yet the gauge is only reading about 1/4 tank. I installed a brand new sending unit after cleaning the tanks.

Another potential gremlin is that the brake light (not the parking brake light) popped on and off intermittingly as I was driving down the road for a stretch of about 4 miles.

The car is idling a bit high, about 800 rpm in Park, but it is smooth. It drops to about 600 rpm at a stop light. I am sure after all these years a little timing re-set will be in order. I've forgotten how to do it but I so seem to recall that it is a two person job.

Last but the biggest issue. As I was re-installing the cruise control bellows and attaching the throttle cable to the bellows plate I noticed a drip from the 1A fuel hose connector where it attaches to the fuel rail. The hose isn't cracked but it did squirt fuel out when I moved the hose a bit on the connector. Not good. Obviously this has to be fixed quickly. Luckily I spotted it before it had the opportunity to source an engine fire and spoil all of my hard work and fun.