XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rubbing noise in rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rubbing noise in rear

HI All,

I have recently purchased a 94 XJS (possibly an Insignia Edition) and the back tires were eaten down to the chords nearly on the inside of the tires. I put some used ones on the back just figuring the car had set around and wasn't very well maintained.

In driving around town I have been hearing a noise in what I thought was the passenger side rear hub area. I thought that my brakes were maybe catching and not releasing or the hand brake was not fully disengaged. I took i to a shop today and they showed me that driver side rear tire rocks a bit in and out. The otherside does not.

Could this also be the source of the noise?

Any help is much appreciated.

Tony in NM

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me. If it rocks that much get the bearing changed ASAP and check the differential to make sure there is still fluid. Just my humble opinion.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Agree, if it rocks - probably bearings. I am a new owner, never worked with hub yet, but from pics our cars use pair of cone bearings that are usually long lasting and 'adjustable'. (Either by tightening the nut or by adding spacers). So there is a small chance bearings are not destroyed.
Once play is eliminated - check wheels alignment.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:29 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Had the same rocking on my 2007 Chevy pickup and a week later rear end went out. Would not go forward or reverse just made a very loud grinding noise. Dropepd the rear end went into the diff, it was bone dry, no evidence it ever had oil in it from factory just some Molly on the gears. Bought it new and lasted 45,000 miles. Complained to dealer several times about a noise that they said was normal also took it to a different dealer and they said noise was normal. 5 year warranty went out then the rear end went out. I paid 800.00 dollars for another rear end put it in myself. Could have gone to court but did not want the headache.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by dtony
HI All,

I have recently purchased a 94 XJS (possibly an Insignia Edition) and the back tires were eaten down to the chords nearly on the inside of the tires. I put some used ones on the back just figuring the car had set around and wasn't very well maintained.

In driving around town I have been hearing a noise in what I thought was the passenger side rear hub area. I thought that my brakes were maybe catching and not releasing or the hand brake was not fully disengaged. I took i to a shop today and they showed me that driver side rear tire rocks a bit in and out. The otherside does not.

Could this also be the source of the noise?

Any help is much appreciated.

Tony in NM
Hi Tony

Just out of curiosity and to widen the bank of knowledge on the Forum.

What makes you think your Car might be an 'Insignia' are there any Special Plates or Markings anywhere?

Old 04-08-2016, 05:34 AM

Interestingly enough I was unaware of such a thing as an Ensignia Edition. I bought the car about a month ago and posted some pics in one of the XJS forums. Someone pointed out that the seat covers looked special order and may be an ensignia. I have been trying to verify that, but so far nothing. I don't see anything on the car or in the paperwork that would support that so I am thinking it is NOT. I sent the Vin to someone in the Jag Heritage, but thus far have not gotten a reply.

Tony

Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 AM

Also, I bought the car via a lien sale and it has a "Salvage" title. So any value that may come with being an "Ensignia" is likely neutralized by being totaled in the past. Hope springs eternal, however.

Tony

Old 04-08-2016, 06:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony,
I have to say those are great looking seats... Dave

Old 04-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Tony

It was me who thought your Car 'Might' be an 'Insignia' so Sorry I didn't make the connection with your latest posting.

But in any event I'm hoping you get Good News.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Banned

Who could possibly sit in the back seats besides a newborn baby ? LOL

Old 04-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

What ever it is it sure is a nice car.

Cars are totaled and get salvage titles for weird reasons as well
as for serious damage. Mostly, it is just dollars at work A simple formula. If the ACV of the car less junk value is close to or is less than the cost to repair, it is a "constructive" total.

Almost anything can be repaired and done well for enough money.
But, does it make monetary sense? that is the question.

Roller bearings certainly wear. If one compares a very experienced one, intact of course, to a new one, the fit of the rollers in the cage
will be apparent.

As servicing two rollers in a Jaguar hub isn't easy, it makes little sense to reuse the old and merely reduce the slop. Quality new bearings and seals are not that expensive. Fix it right once......

Apologies for the "soap box" work.
Carl

Old 04-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Those are really nice seats. Lucky bugger. Lol

Old 04-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

An Insignia usually has distinctive emblems on the front fenders.
Then, trim was very much up to the order as it was bespoke.
Usually, it had specific colours and was fully trimmed with Autolux leather:
Here are a few pics of my Insignia, a Coupé 4.0 of 1994, Amethist blue with pale stone leather and dark stone piping.

Attached Thumbnails Rubbing noise in rear-p1100662.jpg   Rubbing noise in rear-insignia2.jpg   Rubbing noise in rear-p1090819.jpg   Rubbing noise in rear-p1090957.jpg  
orangeblossom (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
An Insignia usually has distinctive emblems on the front fenders.
Then, trim was very much up to the order as it was bespoke.
Usually, it had specific colours and was fully trimmed with Autolux leather:
Here are a few pics of my Insignia, a Coupé 4.0 of 1994, Amethist blue with pale stone leather and dark stone piping.
Your Car looks Amazing!

Especially the Interior, which really has the Wow Factor!
So now we know what to look out for in the future.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Banned

Are the rear seats functional ?

Old 04-10-2016, 11:08 PM

I like the seats also in my car and my original intent was to do a rear seat delete, put a cubby box in (that I have already gotten) and make it into a two seater. Those seats look so neat, however, I am having second thoughts about that. If it turns out to really be an "Insignia" (which I really doubt) I will leave it as is.

I got some new tires the other day and while the car was on the lift I could see a bit of scaring on the edge of the half shaft and part of the muffler. I suspect that the sound I am hearing is a bit of contact between the two when the car is cruising with the weight even from front to back. When I accelerate the sound stops until the nose settles back down.

We are due some rainy weather here in Albuquerque for the next couple of days so when I can crawl under and see what is what I hope I can just tie up the exhaust and that will be the end of the rear end noise.

I also saw a bushing out of place under there as well. I suspect it is for the fuel line but didn't have but a moment to look. It could be a suspension for the exhaust.

Will keep everyone informed.

Tony

Old 04-23-2016, 08:27 AM

HI all,

think that I have narrowed my wheel rocking issue to the need for spacer(s). I was able to crawl under yesterday and take a close look. It appears that where the half shaft meets the differential has a bit of space between them. I have included pics. Will inserting a spacer do or is there some other adjustment?

Tony

Old 04-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Assuming the driveshaft nuts are done up tight to the studs on the diff output flanges, spacers have nothing to do with it. I think it would be best to ask a friend to rock the wheel while you look to see where the movement is. If the diff output shaft bearings are so shot the output shafts are moving in and out of the diff sides, then it is an absolute necessity to rebuild the diff bearings, if not the whole diff, before something guastly happens.

orangeblossom (04-24-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi Tony,

I would say it's almost definitely not an Insignia. As mentioned, it doesn't seem to have the badges or the bespoke paint finish. In addition, all the Insignia that I know of have the special high-back seats which Insignia had before they were made a production style on all XJS. You can't tell an Insignia from the VIN but Jaguar can tell it from the build record.

Nice-looking car, all the same!

Paul

Old 04-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

There should be a spacer about the thickness of a disc rotor in there as Jaguar used the same parts for OB rears, infact the spacer was still there in the X300.

These spacers are available in different thicknesses to set rear wheel camber

Quick Reply: Rubbing noise in rear