XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Running "Hot"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 03:02 PM
Received 364 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Gareth
I am in full agreement with Doug on driving it.
Having done that expansion tank hose test, I suggest:
Ensure the radiator purge system is unblocked by blowing through all pipes and tubes. Be SURE the thermostats have the bleed holes upwards, are opening in hot water, and all purge tubes are connected properly; post photos if not sure. Refill all (sequence: both caps off, radiator bleed plug out, header tank full to brim filling it slowly; cap on header, fill central spout SLOWLY until bleed plug running bubble free, bleed plug on, fill spout until full). Have car pointing uphill if possible.
Put the heater on defrost, start car, loosen bleed plug and continuously top up, spilling plenty no doubt but do not worry. Replace bleed plug.
Heater still on defrost take car for 10 mile run. let it completely cool and do not open anything. Then before opening any caps undo bleed plug and top up if needed. Replace bleed plug, remove expansion tank cap and top up tank, replace and do spout top up. repeat 10 mile run and let cool as before.
Then repeat the top up sequence and report back.
If loads of coolant loss on second go, pressurise system cold and see what happens.
I have just finished the second drive. There's a really nice local loop that's 8.5 miles, so I've been using that. It took a lot of coolant the first time, but only a little the second. At least 3/4 of a gallon in total extra. I'm feeling more confident that the system is either full or close to full. Almost ran out of gas the first run, coasted to a stop at the bottom of a hill. But the car scraped together enough gas to get me up the hill to home, and now it has a full tank. Figuring out why the low fuel light didn't come on can wait until spring. I'll check the coolant level again in the morning.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (12-03-2021)