XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

rusty seatbelt mounting point

Old 03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts
Default rusty seatbelt mounting point

another of my rust removing and replacement projects on my 1989 V12 XJS

as with all XJS's the seatbelt rail mounting points will rust out, this is due to a gap between the strengthening plate under the car and the actual floor, this gap traps debris and water and rots out the section under the bolt , this is an MOT failure
first, pix of the rot and damage , the spot welds on the rear seat mounting post have been drilled out ready for removal for access

seat post removed , now the whole extent of the rot can be seen, the strengthening plate goes from the two fixing holes to the seatbelt mounting point , the bolt sheered off at this point...

rusty section removed along with the rusty plate

this strengthening plate is not available from Jaguar, and it comes as part of the chassis section, so i had to make my own, made a template, cut and bent it from sheet metal, drilled the fixing holes and welded new nuts to the underside for the fixings

continued in part two....again 8)

BB

Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts
Default RE: rusty seatbelt mounting point

part two....

now its time to start welding, after everything was set in place, sorry no pix of the plate going in, was very busy at that point , lol, this pic shows the repair section to the floor tacked in for position, the whole thing was then seamed welded to the existing floor

then the rear seat post was refitted and welded back in

and was then painted up with rust inhibiting paint

i then cleaned up the whole area and installed dynamatt sound insulation over the whole floor, cut new rubber sections for the recesses and reinstalled the existing wine red carpet and handbrake mechanism

i also did a similar job on the passenger side, but the plate was not required to be replaced

once again, thanx for looking,

all this work has been over a three year period so far, but all the welding is now done

BB