XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

shopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shopping

hey folks,

new to the forum. I'm a Euro bike guy more than a car guy, but I became interested in Jags when I started reading about the '05+ XJ8's. The critics seem to love them. However, on a completely different note, I came across a 1986 XJS recently, sitting for the longest time (overpriced) with a Jag dealer. I see the model as a high maintenance girlfriend waiting to happen. However, this one appears to have had two owners, sat in a garage for some time, was traded in on another Jag, and has been sitting for a year, I'll bet. No service history available, other than the dealer's recent service, consisting of replacing all rubber, hoses, and an a/c condenser. About 40,000 miles, clean as a whistle. Cooling system looks original, not good, I know. Haven't dug under the carpets to look for rust. A coupe, they are asking ten grand, tall money perhaps. I'd pay for a good diagnostic off site first, and do some haggling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As to bikes, I think the modern Triumph company is the most interesting bike company on the planet, on several levels, and I'm a 30 year veteran of riding. thanks much.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Welcome aboard :-)

In one of the sticky threads at the top of this section is a buyers guide that has some basic info.

$10,000 is tall indeed. That oughta buy the very best 80s vintage coupe on the planet. Unless this is that car I wouldn't waste too much time without having a heart to heart with the dealer about what he's really willing to let the car go for. I'm thinking $5-6000 for an extra nice example. Just a couple days ago one of the fellows here bought what appears to be a more-than-decent '86 for $4000.

But, what you pay is your business so I'll not say anything else about it :-)

The high maintenance girlfriend comparison is apt but a well sorted XJS is worth the effort. Magnificent cars. Very unique feel.

As a rule you'll spend some money and effort getting all the loose ends tied up and then have a nice reliable Jag with only occassional tinkering. Getting over the hump takes a bit of time, though. Most XJS owners enjoy the work. A well loved Jag rewards your effort in more than equal measure.

Getting back to girlfriends I'm reminded of this saying "Owning a Jag is like dating the world's most beautiful super-model. Great to be seen with but could care less if you live or die" :-)

Another, and it's so true, is "A well kept Jaguar is a purring kitten. An ill-kept Jaguar is an unforgiving bitch".

Well, you didn't ask for mindless palaver so I'll sign off for now. Post back if you have more questions. Pleny of guys here will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello from a fellow new member! My XJS has been sitting in my garage for less than 48 hours at this point, but I'm really excited to have it. And these forums are invaluable.

In particular, as another new Jag owner I'd point you to the stickies right here in this subforum, specifically the Buyer Guide PDF. Assuming you know some basics about general used vehicle buying, it is pretty helpful in pointing out a couple of XJS specific things to look for.

Given what you say about the car, I do not think it'd be worth 10k. Oddly enough I did see one fairly local that was worth that 10k, so here's some details on it for comparison. It was:

100% original, garaged entire life. 18k miles, original tires even, original owners manuals, etc., not a single blemish. Guy asked for 10k, and I didn't go look because, well, it was red. I did call him about it though, and he sold it to the first person that came, the same day he put the listing up.

I would have to say what you describe above does not sound like that car. And if you check NADA guides, you'll see that, depending on exact year, the high side of values for the XJS is around 10,050.

Originally Posted by Doug
Just a couple days ago one of the fellows here bought what appears to be a more-than-decent '86 for $4000.
Hey, I think you're talking about me! (Thanks for your help in my own threads, BTW).

Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought this one for $1700 cdn. a month ago.

Attached Thumbnails shopping-100_0550.jpg   shopping-100_0553.jpg   shopping-100_0545.jpg   shopping-100_0555.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased mine for $4,300 just couple of weeks ago. Everything is in great condition, except wear/tear on hood and trunk.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 AM

For close to a year, these guys asked $17,000....don't ask me what they were thinking. The price was dropped a week ago to ten grand. The mileage is actually 37,000 miles. If cleanliness is an indicator (I realize it's but one of many), it's a pristine example.

Attached Thumbnails shopping-xjs5.jpg   shopping-xjs6.jpg   shopping-xjs1.jpg   shopping-xjs2.jpg   shopping-xjs3.jpg  

Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Pristine cosmetics are worth a lot...because it is SO expensive taking an average-condition car up to the same standard.

OTOH, if you're satisfied with "good" or "very nice" cosmetics there's no point in paying for "pristine" . That's something we each have to decide for ourselves.

These things are a tough call.

Personally, I think I'd be willing to go $10K for a 37k mile, pristine example but certainly not $17k !

Cheers
DD

Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM

By the way, Doug, I enjoyed your blather....thanks.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 AM

So Doug....there's a private wrench-turning shop not far from the dealership that's known for wrenching on exotics, including Jags. I wouldn't make a move without bringing this cat to them, paying them a hundred bucks to get into it for an hour, and giving me a verdict. Where these guys also restore and sell stuff, including Jags, they would be inclined to pronounce a harsh judgement if they can.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I would most definitely get a mechanic to give it a thorough going over. These cars like to be driven, when they have been sitting idle all sorts of things can go wrong. Make sure you take it for a long test drive, at least half an hour, longer is better. Test every switch and button is working as some are difficult and/or expensive to replace plus it might give you some more bargaining room if you find something wrong

Good luck, looks like a nice car.

Allan

Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate at $10K if it is as it looks.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM

Greg, even the damn headliner is as it should be. As one of the other fellows points out, though, machines aren't meant to sit idle for a long time. I've been down that road buying bikes, and experience has told me I'm much better with a machine that's been used and maintained regularly, rather than one which has not.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Low miles can be a problem if the car has sat unsued in storage for long periods, yes. If the owner put 37k miles on the car in 3 years and then let it sit for 23 years, watch out! It's dead-storage that really hurts.

OTOH, if the car was driven a few times each year and just never accumulated many miles there shouldn't any cause for undue worry.....but naturally age-related faults can crop up no matter how many miles are clocked.

A real bonus would be proof that the owner had fluid changes and normal upkeep tasks done *even though* he wasn't clocking up many miles.

Personally, I'd gladly tolerate replacing some dried up hoses and seals and some fluid flushes in exchange for pristine cosmetics. I can fix the former myself.... but have to rely on others ($$$$) for the latter :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 07-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Oooh, Doug, the rubber hoses and fluids have been flushed. Alas, I'll never know what happened with its past, I don't think. The Jag dealer has been sitting on this puppy for a year, he's got to be tired of looking at it.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by throbenotoid
The Jag dealer has been sitting on this puppy for a year, he's got to be tired of looking at it.
Maybe you should channel your best Marlon Brando and make them an offer they can't refuse

Old 07-11-2013, 08:04 AM

I like haggling and horse-trading, actually, it's half the fun. Dead Presidents in hand, signed agreement, pending independent inspection that reveals no issues costing more than $500 to correct, which would render the agreement void pending further negotiation. Just like house-shopping. I've got a number in mind. Keep in mind it's a Jag dealer....