XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Sound system idea! has anyone else tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,760 Likes on 2,604 Posts
Default Sound system idea! has anyone else tried this?

My XJS is fitted with the original pull out Radio with Tape Player and to tell the truth I was thinking of fitting a new Stereo/CD Player.

But the guy I spoke to in the shop came up with an idea which I decided to try, as this would preserve the Cars originality.

You can buy for just a few dollars a thing called a Cassette Adapter, which looks just like a Cassette Tape with a mini jack wire coming out of it.

Plug this wire into the outlet of your MP3 player or your phone, with all your Tracks on and away you go!

Preserving originality and saving megabucks on a new Stereo.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Use the one from monster cable, I got mine at Best Buy.

You will not regret it.
I use mine everyday the sound quality is great and that monster cable one just lasts forever.

Cheap ones tend to be finicky. The monster cable one I have has lasted 5 years so far. I originally got it for my truck.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Windows down and BORLA!

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagfixer:
orangeblossom (03-31-2014), pitifulpluto (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

My son uses one in my '88. Sometimes, one side plays louder than the other when using it.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Why cling to the past? Get a nice understated Nakamichi, Blaupunkt, or classic Alpine with green square buttons to match the interior, with all the modern conveniences.

Cassette adaptors come with all the inferior qualities, namely tape hiss plus an ugly wire hanging out of the deck, like a snake swallowing a too large rat.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pitifulpluto
Use the one from monster cable, I got mine at Best Buy.

You will not regret it.
I use mine everyday the sound quality is great and that monster cable one just lasts forever.

Cheap ones tend to be finicky. The monster cable one I have has lasted 5 years so far. I originally got it for my truck.
I'm not what make mine is but with my ipod nano, in the center console it sounds great, plus I've upgraded the speakers.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagfixer
Windows down and BORLA!
Could not agree with you more!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagZilla
My son uses one in my '88. Sometimes, one side plays louder than the other when using it.
Not had that problem at the moment, thank goodness.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Why cling to the past? Get a nice understated Nakamichi, Blaupunkt, or classic Alpine with green square buttons to match the interior, with all the modern conveniences.

Cassette adaptors come with all the inferior qualities, namely tape hiss plus an ugly wire hanging out of the deck, like a snake swallowing a too large rat.
I'm certainly thinking about it but I'm a bit spent out at the moment, so this will have to do for the time being though if I decide to go that way I want one that has USB & Bluetooth.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,516 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Not sure the brand matters.

A long time ago, Sirius Radio sent me one of those tapes as part of some class action lawsuit settlement. It was a no name brand to be sure.

It lasted every bit of 5 years, if not much much longer.

She finally had to buy another one since the original cheapie went bad. Basically the wire finally started to crap out because it was bent down out of the tape deck in her Honda Pilot for a long time.

You can also catch hepatitis C in her car because the kids trash it up so often...

I was never a big fan of Monster products. They don't specify gauge sizes, I think they charge WAY too much for their cables, etc. I don't believe that there is anyone on this planet that can hear any difference between two equally sized cables.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I bought one of these.

Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X3 Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Enhanced Clarity Technology for Wireless Handsfree Calling , Audio / Music Playback , and USB Charging in Your Car or Vehicle ** Includes Micro USB Charger & 3.5mm Audio Cables! **: Elec Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X3 Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Enhanced Clarity Technology for Wireless Handsfree Calling , Audio / Music Playback , and USB Charging in Your Car or Vehicle ** Includes Micro USB Charger & 3.5mm Audio Cables! **: Elec

It works great with my iPhone or nano. It has the added advantage of providing bluetooth handsfree calling too which would be essential in UK. It routes the phone call through the speakers and has a built in mic. Works great with the top up.

Sound quality is excellent, actually better than the standard radio and almost CD quality. It also has a built-in USB port to charge phone/ipod or any other device.

The only thing I don't like is the white colour All in all a pretty good value at $60 (40 quid)

Sound system idea! has anyone else tried this?-flexsmart-v3.jpg

Old 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
Not sure the brand matters.

A long time ago, Sirius Radio sent me one of those tapes as part of some class action lawsuit settlement. It was a no name brand to be sure.

It lasted every bit of 5 years, if not much much longer.

She finally had to buy another one since the original cheapie went bad. Basically the wire finally started to crap out because it was bent down out of the tape deck in her Honda Pilot for a long time.

You can also catch hepatitis C in her car because the kids trash it up so often...

I was never a big fan of Monster products. They don't specify gauge sizes, I think they charge WAY too much for their cables, etc. I don't believe that there is anyone on this planet that can hear any difference between two equally sized cables.
Quite a few consumer programmes also seem to agree, that make doesn't matter.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllanG
I bought one of these.

Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X3 Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Enhanced Clarity Technology for Wireless Handsfree Calling , Audio / Music Playback , and USB Charging in Your Car or Vehicle ** Includes Micro USB Charger & 3.5mm Audio Cables! **: Elec

It works great with my iPhone or nano. It has the added advantage of providing bluetooth handsfree calling too which would be essential in UK. It routes the phone call through the speakers and has a built in mic. Works great with the top up.

Sound quality is excellent, actually better than the standard radio and almost CD quality. It also has a built-in USB port to charge phone/ipod or any other device.

The only thing I don't like is the white colour All in all a pretty good value at $60 (40 quid)

Attachment 78344
I have to agree, White is not the best color, it does look a bit distracting.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

this is good if you just want to listen to tunes of your own. Otherwise a FM transmitter and Cassette adapter willl always be Radio and cassette quality if not slightly less.

orangeblossom (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

I was desperately trying to hang on to the original radios on the XJS and E until I could no longer take it. I had the cassette converter and did not care for the sound. Upgraded both cars to an Alpine with HD, Sirius Xm, Bluetooth, Handsfree phone, usb and aux connections (fitted in the center cubby) and more. It is the best upgrade that I have done--ever---nothing beats being able to have Sirius, hands free talking and bluetooth. On these older cars it's easy to do.

On the other hand, my daily driver X type, the most modern car I have, has none of these capabilities, and it's almost impossible to change out the radio.

This is the ALPINE radio on the XJS:

Attached Thumbnails Sound system idea! has anyone else tried this?-34fe36bc-7e16-4fa5-bc37-fbe2e940d4f9_zpsxfsrlxol.jpg   Sound system idea! has anyone else tried this?-f81eb232-066c-420b-a060-a1a8ec26537a_zpsxvfir4vp.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
Forcedair1 (04-02-2014), orangeblossom (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
this is good if you just want to listen to tunes of your own. Otherwise a FM transmitter and Cassette adapter willl always be Radio and cassette quality if not slightly less.
Hi Sidescrollin

I'm more into Tunes when I'm driving, I very seldom listen to the Radio, so in that respect, the cassette adapter really works for me.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
I was desperately trying to hang on to the original radios on the XJS and E until I could no longer take it. I had the cassette converter and did not care for the sound. Upgraded both cars to an Alpine with HD, Sirius Xm, Bluetooth, Handsfree phone, usb and aux connections (fitted in the center cubby) and more. It is the best upgrade that I have done--ever---nothing beats being able to have Sirius, hands free talking and bluetooth. On these older cars it's easy to do.

On the other hand, my daily driver X type, the most modern car I have, has none of these capabilities, and it's almost impossible to change out the radio.

Wowie!

What an amazing piece of kit, I bet that outfit cost you a fair bit of dosh, I'd better start saving up!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga

Great decision, looks great and I bet it sounds great. I can really hardly agree with the preserving of originality concept in regards to the radio on lower value cars. On your E Type it makes sense because, with its higher value, anything could affect the price, but a $10K - $15K XJS?

A good number of the XJS that I see in pictures have nice after market radios and so does yours. Plus, it is such a fact that the OEM sound systems are of limited quality because manufactureres need to save every penny on what they put in the car. You have absolutely done the smart thing. Enjoy it!

Cheers,

orangeblossom (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

Thanks. I did the exact same set up on the E because I drive her regularly too. It's a safety issue too with being able to speak hands free on the phone. I using a "go groove" item just like the one pictured above for the X type because of how difficult it is to change it in that car

Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Sidescrollin

I'm more into Tunes when I'm driving, I very seldom listen to the Radio, so in that respect, the cassette adapter really works for me.
I just meant if you very strictly want to listen to YOUR OWN tunes then it will get you by. However MP3 FM transmitters and Cassette MP3 adapters sound like or worse than what they are going through.

sorry you misunderstood what I meant.

unless you aren't aware, they make a very similar product as the cassette adapter that broadcasts what is playing on your phone/mp3 player over a FM channel so you can just turn on your radio.

I was commenting how both work, but the quality is lacking