XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Steering wheel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Wink Steering wheel removal?

I've got a 91 xjs and I put new rack bushings and it's my understanding that if the wheel is no longer straight after the installation you can remove the wheel to reposition it. Thing is if this IS the correct way then how does it come off.I removed the two bolts on the back but it doesn't budge plus there's a plastic flap on the back that when folded down says something like "to disarm refer to the service booklet" I'm sure they're referring to the airbag, but I don't know how to do that. Anyone else know. Everything on these cars is a major task! Sheesh! I'm gonna buy a punching bag, put jaguar emblems all over it and beat the living crap out of it. That way I'll only pet my cat! Bud

Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately you need a special tool to disarm the airbag. If you go to this site and watch the video's of the wood trim replacement, they show it in some detail. Also another member, his name is Thomas Lampe (newguy) posted some instructions on the facia replacement and has a section on removing the wheel. Hope this helps

XJS Fitting Videos : Myrtle Productions, fine wood car interiors and luxury steering wheels

Last edited by magredvet; 10-19-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Moving the steering wheel is not the correct way to fix an off center wheel. You toe has changed as a result of new rack bushings. Get an alignment and do it right. Otherwise you are not actually "fixing" it you are covering up a symptom. There is a way to center the rack. Then if the wheel is straight when the rack is centered you need an alignment. If the rack is centered and the wheel if off center you need to move the wheel to the proper position.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Wink Centering

Greg Thanks for the info. Do you know how to center the rack. Will it be in my chilton manual? Thanks Bud

Old 10-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

STEERING WHEEL ALIGNMENT: If your steering wheel is cockeyed when driving in a straight line, your problem may be in the relationship between the steering wheel and the rack, or between the rack and the front wheels. Jaguar has provided a nifty method of determining which. If you remove the grease fitting from the steering rack, a dowel (or special Jaguar tool no. 12279) can be inserted to engage a notch in the rack. When the notch is lined up with the grease fitting hole, the rack is centered. The steering wheel can then be lined up properly. Once this is done, a misalignment when driving straight (be sure you’re on a level road, and not in the right lane of a road that is crowned) calls for correction at the tie rods. If the correction is minor and you are confident that the alignment is otherwise OK, this can be done by carefully marking both tie rods and adjusting both of them the same amount.
Franck Guilloteau says “that "special tool" can easily be replaced with a screwdriver (torx T20 for example) that has the same ID of the zerk (sp?) grease fitting on the steering rack - remove the fitting, insert the screwdriver - move the wheels until it drops in a rack groove - the rack is centered!”

This is copied from Kirby's book. I am sure the Jaguar manuals have this info too. As for Chilton I would bet not but you can look. The procedure is called centering the rack and pinion. If you do not have Kirby's book I highly recommend you check out the "other" forum too. Also the factory manuals are available on DVD from JDHT's website. Worth every penny.

The following users liked this post:
buddyluv (10-20-2012)