XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Stering kicks to the right

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Stering kicks to the right

Hi all.
Recent purchase (95 XJS 4.0 2+2 Conv) December last year, and just now really getting a chance to drive it as the weather is getting warmer in the Northeast USA.
Just what the post title says, car drives straight but any imperfections in the road, dips, drains, etc, and the steering and suspension kicks right. I know i need shocks in the front but not convinced that would cause a kick to the right tendency, unless anyone thinks differently. Could even a straight tracking steering with excessive toe- out cause what is happening? Can you have a toe- out condition and still track straight? Any worn suspension parts cause this condition?
Any advice or experience with similar, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2018, 05:41 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

My findings with too many Jags over too many years.

Rubber components at 18 years and beyond are in need of renewal, and it has nothing to do with distance traveled. Lower inner wishbone bushes are #1, followed very closely by the upper inners.

I have always simple done balljoints and rubber bits within the 1st month of any "new" Jag joining the fleet. Sounds over kill, but I have said many times, do it all, do it right, repeat in 15 years.

Binding lower balljoints are a common thing I have had on near all mine with the same symptoms you mention.

YES, geometry badly set up is also a concern, and getting that spot on is paramount, and not always the easiest to find the right guy to do the right thing.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-07-2018 at 04:18 AM. Reason: spelling still sucks
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same issue on my 1996, which is at 80 K. there are 2 succinct causes:

1. The lower A arm bushing, front one had no rubber bushing material left. I was able to remove it without taking the spring and the lower A arm out. i was lucky, I was able to slide the inner metal part of the bushing off the long bolt. Then froze the new bushing and tapped - pried - pressed with a lever until it got in far enough to use the nut to seat it.

2. The alignment was totally toed out. I am sure some genius sold the previous owner an alignment with bad bushing. I adjusted the toe to specs and now it tracks perfectly and does not wander when brakes are applied.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (06-07-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 05:40 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by unimoged
Had the same issue on my 1996, which is at 80 K. there are 2 succinct causes:

1. The lower A arm bushing, front one had no rubber bushing material left. I was able to remove it without taking the spring and the lower A arm out. i was lucky, I was able to slide the inner metal part of the bushing off the long bolt. Then froze the new bushing and tapped - pried - pressed with a lever until it got in far enough to use the nut to seat it.

2. The alignment was totally toed out. I am sure some genius sold the previous owner an alignment with bad bushing. I adjusted the toe to specs and now it tracks perfectly and does not wander when brakes are applied.
Good info!. Tell me, because you did the lower bushings in situ, and with spring still installed, I assume you had to withdraw the long bolt to get the bushings out. Did you have to slide in another bolt in its place as you withdrew the original one? I just had my two front tires replaced because I discovered extreme wear on the inside shoulder of the left tire. See pic. Is this indicative of both toe out AND lower bushings shot? I d have weak shocks as well but I'm more concerned about extreme camber due to possibly worn lower bushings causing a spreading out of the lower arms. Anyone seen this type of wear before? I had a chance to wiggle the wheel after the car was put on the ramp for wheel replacement. I did feel play but it seemed like only bearing play. Perhaps I would not be able to really feel anything if the lower bushings were bad if the spring is putting tension on the parts. Bearing play was easy to detect but not sure such play would cause the tire wear I'm seeing.
Thoughts?