X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny kicks coming out of turn

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny kicks coming out of turn

Anyone have this happen to them? I just bought a 2005 x-type a month ago. When I slow down approaching a 90 degree turn (usually right, maybe because I take them a bit faster) and then accelerate out of it, I feel a kick. It doesn't sound good, but that's really the only time I notice it. Sometimes if I go around a car stopped or parked in the street and go left followed by right it kicks a bit. It is a Select edition so its supposed to have a warranty. Should I take it to Jaguar and find out whats wrong or my mechanic and see what he says first. Also I think the lemon law might cover it for another couple of weeks so I might be able to bring it to the guy I bought it from.

Does this sound like a tranny problem? transfer case problem? something with AWD? I've never had AWD before so I don't know if that's some type of typical disengage/reengage action.

Any help is appreciated for a new Jag owner... Thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same problem, and yeah it happens to me when i accerate a bit to hard, but i've learned to be gentle with it

Old 05-06-2009, 08:28 AM

I dont want to learn to be gentle with it

Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM

Same issue - I think its a power-transfer issue - this car seems to have that-type of problem. Funny I have never experienced on any other AWD platform- only other car that had this problem was a Ford Crown Vic. Might be a deeply rooted Ford issue

S. Chapman

Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PeelsOnWheels
I dont want to learn to be gentle with it
Then you are freakin idiot and you need to walk..

Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

colt man... ease up....

Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Colt
Then you are freakin idiot and you need to walk..
What.. Are you joking me?? I've driven the crap out of my 2 Mitsubishi 3000GTs, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Avalon, Dodge Ram Pick-up, Chevy van, and Honda Minivan over the course of the years. I did burnouts, floored them constantly, did handbrake turns and reverse 180s (except the pick-up and chevy van), and have gotten 2 to 3 feet of air crossing various railroad crossings and raised cross streets. Now, I don't drive that way anymore... I was young and stupid then... But none of those cars ever had a transmission problem, or any engine trouble after the crap I put them through.

You want to tell me I'm an idiot because I want to take turns at 20mph instead of 10mph, (explitive removed b/c jimmy is a nice guy and i dont want to disrespect this forum). Cars were built to be driven, not to be babied. So far I've had no problems with previous cars I've owned and I drove them hard. I bought this car because I take the train to work every day and wanted something nice to drive when I got home. How is it that a car that was originally $40k+ in 2005 isn't worth $10k now. If it's because it breaks down with any out-of-the-ordinary driving maneuver, then why bother. You don't need to be rich to buy it, you need to be rich to own it. Don't get me wrong, I really like this car, but don't call me an idiot for wanting to drive worry-free ....

Last edited by PeelsOnWheels; 05-06-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only thing I might say is, "you have been warned about the jag", or "i told you so"
it is a good car for performance, but that means keeping the tires stuck to the pavement. Use the AWD and handling to do the fast corners without breaking traction.

try to drift or spin, on an X-type and you are asking for $$ repairs.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM

thanks jimmy

thats all i was looking for. i guess ill just have to drive it like a luxury car, more than a sports car.

If nobody knows what it is, I might just take it to the dealer since I supposedly have a warranty. I dont trust warranties b/c ive heard of everyone somehow getting screwed over when they go for a repair.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not expereinced this on my X-type (also AWD) and to be honest I've not really looked underneath to check the geometry at the rear...
... However what you are expereincing could be a perfectly normal reaction in a car with independent rear suspension and rear wheel drive....
... Some years ago I had a Triumph 2500S it was strictly rear wheel drive and had independent rear wheel suspension, coils and trailing arms. Under acceleration out of a tight corner or bend the car would squat and the drive shafts would lock in position while under load. coming out of the bend with the first gear change, the load on the driveshafts would be released and the suspension would readjust itself and the car would give a nice little kick in the rear, bit like a spirited mustang kicking up its hooves.
... If I'm guessing right, what you describe happens with a gear change... and is likely to be a similar reaction.

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats what i guessed wat, and that guy arguing has a good point, bu i have done drifts ( winter only) and one drft in summer, and its a lovely car, im 16, and saved 5 years to buy it, im amazed but whatever,its a nice car, i like it, who cares what people say.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The harder you drive...the less mechanical problems you have.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed the same problem and I hate to say it but this is an old mans car and doesn't like to be driven too aggressive. I have found that using the j-gate does eliminate this but I would hate to make the trans do somehthing the computer wasnt telling it to do. But on the other hand a bunch of the auto trans I have driven do the same thing, almost like it doesn't know what gear it should be in...

Old 05-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens to me. I just use J-Gate 95% of the time and problem is solved. Plus its a bit more fun. (I wish I had a manual ) Just leave it in auto when you are tired and are just cruising without being aggressive. Then it works fine.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of like a j-gate tiptronic...

Old 05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that this car has to be driven (hard within limits) when under warranty. Over the last near 7 years, I've driven my car across the US fully loaded (4 and luggage), up Pike's Peak, fast across the dessert in 140F temps.... ya my X-Type has been everywhere! With that said I've had my transmission, transfercase, half shafts, A/C, a multitude of sensors, etc, replaced under warranty. It was a hard fight with Jaguar, and EasyCare to repair everything, but I do the maintenance and drive it withing Jaguar limits, and if it fails I expect them to fix it. So now I feel like I'm driving new car and probably in better shape than it was when new.

So I say report the problems, keep driving within Jag limits, and if it breaks get them to fix it. BTW when bringing it in, read the exclusions within the warranty.... find a good group of guys to do the minor maintenance and when it breaks take it to them first so you know what it is and if your covered.... I've been to many dealerships that have tried to surprise me with non covered items (hoses, rust, etc) to blame, but with the second opinions you'll always win in the end.

Oh... with the transmission the dealership tried to blame it on the cooling hoses flexing and loosing pressure, thank G for pre-inspection which showed no problems (they wanted $600 to change the hoses) - it turned out to be the electronics (switches) that damaged the whole transmission....

Cheers.

Last edited by canman; 05-08-2009 at 03:18 PM.