XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Threaded Hole on Top of Vee

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts
Question Threaded Hole on Top of Vee

Now that my spark plug wires have been replaced with new Denso ones, their neater routing has shown that there's a mysterious hole on top of the engine, in the vee. It appears to be threaded, but nothing is in there. Am I missing some vital part, or is this quite normal? I'm understandably concerned about things dropping down there, if they haven't already.

Here's the general location:

And here's a close-up. It's right under the cruise control linkage:

Any suggestions about what this is and whether it is a problem will be gratefully received. If it needs plugging, it shouldn't be too hard, but I don't want to block something vital either.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Nope, lost me there.

Poke a wire down the hole, and if its a blind hole, move on, maybe something to do with Pre Marelli cars, but I cannot think of anything at the moment.

If the wire goes straight through, plan "B". I somehow doubt that coz there is NO oil spewing out of it.

I dont have a V12 here to go and look at, so someone will oblige eventually.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks very muchly. A bit of engine design that Jaguar kept because they couldn't afford to reshape the engine block, perhaps? Could be. I'll see what poking does. I don't think it's too serious, as the car has clearly run with it open for more than 50,000 km, but without the "roof" of the cables tightly above it, it's certainly more vulnerable....

Old 03-30-2017, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

It's a raised mounting point that's also unused on my '86. Like the mysterious mounting points on the throttle capstan side it was purposeful at some point.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Most reassuring, thanks. I guess something would have been screwed in there at one point. Maybe even on the E-Type. So it's basically an appendix....

Old 03-30-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Probably a part left over from the E-Type/XJ carbed version...

Old 03-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

I agree, just a remnant from a previous iteration. Someone decided it was easier/better/cheaper to just leave it there rather than change the manufacturing process.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

I think I may have tracked it down. The grey ribbed thing, perhaps some sort of cooler, in between the vee on this E-Type engine might be what this hole was designed to fit.

E-Type V12

Source: Jaguar E-Type V12 Engine and Gearbox - Bridge Classic Cars

The following users liked this post:
Doug (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

I think that is an amp for the OPUS ignition... Not quite sure but I think it is and as said, on the carbed engines...

Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Oh a side note, after looking at several dozen E-Type V12s, they look so much easier to work on than the XJS one. Thanks to both fewer additional bits, and far better access with the entire bonnet lifting up (why don't more cars have that?).

Old 03-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Well, they aren't though really... Sync 4 carbs properly... That is VERY fiddly. Then you want to make sure the fuel lines have the same supply, the pump(s) need to run properly.

The XJ-S has better under bonnet servicablity as the bonnet is removed a lot easier than that of the E-Type. Grill out and then 4 screws, undo the struts and out. All easily accessable and then you can work everywhere easily I do the same on my X308. Bonnet off is easier than working around it. Just lining it up is a fiddly bit...

The E V12 only looks easy to work on, as it has less electrical stuff (which improves power and economy, compare a carbed V12 to any EFI V12)

Old 03-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

I guess the key thing here is "looks" easier....

I always imagined bonnet-off jobs were basically when you needed to do some serious, hard-core work, and didn't realise it was that (relatively) simple. That would also make the front much more accessible as well, though having a rear-hinged bonnet with the grille also rising up would have been simpler, methinks... even though I know why (or think I know why) they didn't....

Old 03-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Some say that the appendix does indeed have a function, although we humans can manage sans it. So, not quite vestigal.

However, the bottom end of our spines, the coxyx (sp) is indeed vestigial. And, as I vaguely recall, we might even have some vestigial remains of what might have been gillls !!

My LT1 has a blind threaded hoe an the front of on head and the rear of the other. Heads on SBC's are vastly interchangable.

It drove me nuts for a bit, thinking it was access for an oil galley port.

As the one in question seems blind and not an opening to some galley, it is harmless as is. I'd be tempted to put a bolt in it, just to 'clean things up".

Carl

Old 03-30-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
I guess the key thing here is "looks" easier....

I always imagined bonnet-off jobs were basically when you needed to do some serious, hard-core work, and didn't realise it was that (relatively) simple. That would also make the front much more accessible as well, though having a rear-hinged bonnet with the grille also rising up would have been simpler, methinks... even though I know why (or think I know why) they didn't....
I've had a few different bonnets so far... And worked on some with even weirder ones

Ford Fiesta MK II. Bonnet opens forwards. The engine bay is accessed easily from both sides. Everything can be removed within minutes and without hurting your back.

Volvo 740/760/940/960. Bonnet opens "normally". Grill stays on the car. Okay to work on. Best thing: no bonnet removal needed to take engine and tranny out. Lift the bonnet the workshop setting (little lever on the hing and it opens to a 90° angle). Bonnet off is awkward.

Skoda Estelle. Bonnet is technically a boot lid. Opens SIDEWAYS. IF there was an engine in there, it would be rather well accessable from one side and the front, as the bonnet can also open to a 90° setting, you could technically get to the other side well as well...

I'd say the "standard" opening being hinged at the rear is easier to work on as such but the front hinged is safer and if needed, you can take it off.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Some say that the appendix does indeed have a function, although we humans can manage sans it. So, not quite vestigal. 
However, the bottom end of our spines, the coxyx (sp) is indeed vestigial. And, as I vaguely recall, we might even have some vestigial remains of what might have been gillls !!
Carl
True, the appendix has recently been discovered to hold bacteria that can repopulate the gut after some illness for example has eliminated them. And I remember reading once that there are some muscles that attach to the coccyx.
However, if you will permit me to quote Wikipedia, the appendix is still apparently considered vestigial as it no longer functions to digest anything:
A classic example at the level of gross anatomy is the human vermiform appendix — though vestigial in the sense of retaining no significant digestive function, the appendix still has immunological roles and is useful in maintaining gut flora.
Seems you were right about the gill slits, though only in embryo form:
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress...mbryos-a-hoax/