XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Throttle linkage bush

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Throttle linkage bush

Moin (a Northern German word meaning "Good morning, good day, hello, hi, good evening, how are you?, ..." pronouced "M-oi-n")!

I've got a little question regarding the bushes of the V12 throttle linkage.

The spindle on which the butterfly valve sits and is turned, runs from the throttle body housing to the rear corner into a bracket. The spindle is held in place by a rubber bush (at least in my case). this bush though is VERY loose. I know I bought some new ones and fitted them but I can't remember them being so loose. They can move AT LEAST 2-3 mm in the bracket (around the hole).

That can't be right or at least I assume that can't be right, as that would cause a tolerance in the linkage resulting in a possible imbalance between both throttle bodies... I am talking about part number 18. That is C34388

Throttle linkage bush-mb4911b.png

Meaning one of three things:

1. the hole in my brackets (part 17) has been widend (most doubtful)
2. the rubber bushes are/were too small (even though the shaft sat well)
3. the rubber bushes are supposed to be that size (dunno)

May I ask someone to check on their car, if the rubber bush is so loose or if it is nice and tight?

Cheers

Damien

PS: anyone got any tips on how to get yellow-zinc-plated materials nice and shiney again without them changing colour again within a few days?

Last edited by Daim; 12-02-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

The bushes should be a tight fit into the metal bracket and a nice non-binding fit onto the throttle spindle shaft. If anything can flap about by 2 or 3 mm then an incorrect part, or poor quality or a failing part is in there. JCP still have them, I feel sure. Lots of guys fabricate bronze ones, to last for ever, or special plastics-like synthetic materials (? Delrin whatever that is!). Maybe a friendly machine shop would do some for you?
Greg

The following users liked this post:
Daim (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The bushes should be a tight fit into the metal bracket and a nice non-binding fit onto the throttle spindle shaft. If anything can flap about by 2 or 3 mm then an incorrect part, or poor quality or a failing part is in there. JCP still have them, I feel sure. Lots of guys fabricate bronze ones, to last for ever, or special plastics-like synthetic materials (? Delrin whatever that is!). Maybe a friendly machine shop would do some for you?
Greg
Cheers Greg! I thought it seemed way to sloppy. The parts I used were aftermarket and show that they are rubbish. I'll either buy original (they don't really add much to the cost) or have something made up...

The spindles really do need a solid guide... I noticed an imbalance between the left and right sides as I got the car (and then the bushes were loose too). At least that will go now!

Again, cheers Greg!

Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Guten Tag? Lost Or should it be Guten Morgen. And, possibly a local contraction of Morgen.

English version of Good Morning. Mornin...

I forgot shy, but I made a pair. From brass coupling. Drill press. Inner and outer dimensions drilled and filed to fit. Oh, I remember. The well worn throttle shaft in the carb for my turbo Corvair. I think a ruined a few before I got a pair that would work.

Carl

Daim (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

A pair of brass door pin bushings from the auto store will work as well just take measurements with you. I wrapped teflon tape around the shaft to create a perfect fit.

Daim (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

My experience is that, besides the bushings, wear in the entire mechanism can create a stack-up free play.

Easy to fix....or easy to get around, I should say.

Just adjust your throttle rods so they exert a tiny amount of tension against the bell crank. This will take up any slack down the line.

Funnily enough I just went thru this yesterday. Now that my V12 is up-and-running I have to sort a hundred small details...one of which was a slight hesitation on opening the throttle. A few minutes snugging and synchronizing the throttles eliminated the problem entirely. Everything should be so easy.

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Daim (12-01-2016), ronbros (12-03-2016), warrjon (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Guten Tag? Lost Or should it be Guten Morgen. And, possibly a local contraction of Morgen.

English version of Good Morning. Mornin...

I forgot shy, but I made a pair. From brass coupling. Drill press. Inner and outer dimensions drilled and filed to fit. Oh, I remember. The well worn throttle shaft in the carb for my turbo Corvair. I think a ruined a few before I got a pair that would work.

Carl
It would be "Guten Abend" or "N'Abend" now At least here

I'll see what works best for me

Originally Posted by JigJag
A pair of brass door pin bushings from the auto store will work as well just take measurements with you. I wrapped teflon tape around the shaft to create a perfect fit.
Hmm, that'll be hard to find, as German auto stores tend to only provide German car parts. As I wanted an oil filter for my X308 they said "we don't sell them"... Luckily Amazon does...

Originally Posted by Doug
My experience is that, besides the bushings, wear in the entire mechanism can create a stack-up free play.

Easy to fix....or easy to get around, I should say.

Just adjust your throttle rods so they exert a tiny amount of tension against the bell crank. This will take up any slack down the line.

Funnily enough I just went thru this yesterday. Now that my V12 is up-and-running I have to sort a hundred small details...one of which was a slight hesitation on opening the throttle. A few minutes snugging and synchronizing the throttles eliminated the problem entirely. Everything should be so easy.

Cheers
DD
Well, the adjustments had been done by me before taking the engine apart. Though I always thought it was too much slack and as said, both throttle bodies opened slightly different. I put a mark on my pedestal to compare where which TB opened. It was a difference of about 1 mm which resulted in a few degrees difference...

Hence I want it all to open perfectly. Nothing niggles me more than when something doesn't work properly as it should!

warrjon (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Or:

Part of my service in Germany was served in a unit equipped with Half Tracks that had seen service in North Africa. Well worn. The one equipped with a 37 MM automatic gun flanked by 50 Cal Mg's used a unique qimi8ng system involving a parallelogram that had a flex joint at each corner. Very sloppy from much use.

GI ingenuity. A bucket full of condoms on the top kicks desk for soldiers going out on pass and hoping to get lucky.

Perfect. Place a couple on the linkage to take up the slack....

Survive in the V12 valleys inherent heat? Who knows....

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Grant Francis (12-02-2016), ronbros (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

On mine the sloppiness is mostly in the fit of item #11 below....

Throttle Linkage-5.3 Litre - Parts For Series III Saloon | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

....as the holes have apparently become a bit elongated

Cheers
DD

Daim (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
On mine the sloppiness is mostly in the fit of item #11 below....

....as the holes have apparently become a bit elongated

Cheers
DD
So many moving parts there to wear.

I did the same as you in taking up the slack with the connecting rod. I'll turn up some bushes when I get my new engine back.

Damien, If I were you I'd just buy the bushes from Jaguar, unless the bracket is worn they should fit.

Daim (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member

I'll try the factory parts first. If they don't work, then I'll move towards a brass or bronze bush...

Old 12-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Good plan

Daim (12-02-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Eaa
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I made these from hardware store nylon bushings - total cost less than 1us$ - they are held in place by the "e" clip between the two brackets so they can be installed without disassembling the linkage. It's working very well so far.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

mine are aluminum, a lathe, simple and effective!

Last edited by ronbros; 12-03-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:00 PM
Received 569 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaa
I made these from hardware store nylon bushings - total cost less than 1us$ - they are held in place by the "e" clip between the two brackets so they can be installed without disassembling the linkage. It's working very well so far.
I did the same. Kirby Palm tells how and what bushing to use in "The Book". Easy and cheap, no special tools required.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

never read Kirbys book.

i like doing my own thing, some people make things ,some people are part replacers!

Old 12-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
never read Kirbys book.

i like doing my own thing, some people make things ,some people are part replacers!
I'm anything but a parts replacer... But then there are some things, where some advice is handy. I could replace the entire throttle linkage assembly, but I just this one bush... That is the only thing that was getting on my nerves...

Old 12-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I replaced these with bronze bushings from an Oops! box from an autostore. The are usually sold for door hinges.

They fit perfectly and will obviously last a lonnnngg time. They are "hat" shaped, so they can't back out once they are in.

I realize you are not in the US, so it doesn't do you much good in terms of having something you can run to the store to get. But perhaps you can measure the diameter of your linkage and order some online?

The sizes in the package were:
Bushing Height: .370, .375, .305, .250
Outside Diameter: .490, .490, .420, .495 in
but idk which i used. Idk how much good this does you either, since you will likely be buying in metric.

ronbros (12-08-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 11:36 PM
Eaa
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
mine are aluminum, a lathe, simple and effective!
I could have used aluminum, but the nylon fit really well right out of the box, and I thought it would be good for reducing friction, though if I'd made it of metal it would have probably been brass. Really anything would have been better than what I had before, which was nothing! the original bushings were both completely gone!

Eric