XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Time to clear the valley-what else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time to clear the valley-what else?

I have spent the last several months refurbishing my 86 XJ-S Coupe (about 80K on the clock).

While I have much to do and realize this is a long term project, my next task is to perform some baseline maintenance which will require removing the intake manifolds. My plan is as follows:

Replace valve cover gaskets and half moon seals (bad leaking)
Replace intake manifold gaskets and eliminate air rails (already removed air pump)
Replace spark plugs and wires
Replace distributor cap and rotor
Replace all belts and coolant hoses
Drain and replace coolant

How about the timing tensioners?

Is there something with the distibutor that needs attention on these cars?

I have already replaced oil lines and both oil pressure sending units.

I need to replace the AC compressor, which is currently beltless as the air pump is gone. Before investing in the compressor, anyway to tell what other AC parts are broken? I have heard from a local expert that there is something in the firewall that a local AC shop charged $2,800 to access and replace.)

Any advice while I have this thing apart is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagxjs
I have spent the last several months refurbishing my 86 XJ-S Coupe (about 80K on the clock).

While I have much to do and realize this is a long term project, my next task is to perform some baseline maintenance which will require removing the intake manifolds. My plan is as follows:

Replace valve cover gaskets and half moon seals (bad leaking)
Replace intake manifold gaskets and eliminate air rails (already removed air pump)
Replace spark plugs and wires
Replace distributor cap and rotor
Replace all belts and coolant hoses
Drain and replace coolant

All good.

I'd add the following:

Replace all engine bay fuel hoses
Replace throttle bushings
Clean throttles and adjust gap; synchronize linkage
Repair/replace all iffy vac hoses, wiring, connectors
Repair/replace injector harness

How about the timing tensioners?

Unless you suspect a problem, I'd say "no". AFAIK they don't have a history of giving problems.

Is there something with the distibutor that needs attention on these cars?

The mechanical advance often seizes up. Plan on cleaning and lubricating to restore operation.

The vacuum advance cannister may be inoperative. They often air. Check and replace if needed.

I need to replace the AC compressor, which is currently beltless as the air pump is gone. Before investing in the compressor, anyway to tell what other AC parts are broken?

Not without some preliminary info, and problems can be tricky to diagnose even on the best of circumstances

Step one: do you hear a whirring noise when you change the temp control from hot to cold? You should.

When selecting full hot, does the air flow switch to the footwell vents? It should.

When selecting full cold does airflow switch to the center dashboard vent? it should.

I have heard from a local expert that there is something in the firewall that a local AC shop charged $2,800 to access and replace.)
Probably a reference to the evaporator core. If leaking, it would have to be replaced. They don't have any particular history of problems, though.

I've sorta convinced myself that repair shops who don't want to pull their hair out on an inoperative Jaguar climate control system mention evap core replacement as a worst case scenario. It scares customers off....which is the exact intention. :-)

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jagxjs (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I am elbow deep in this exact thing. Hoses, flush, belts etc., clean up the valley and I find myself saying it's just a few more bucks. I have the radiator out and the a/c condensor. The oil cooler looks good cleaned out the fins with a vacuum and air. Condensor is good cleaned it up will repaint and reinstall. I removed the smog pump and it will be replaced. I am also replacing the a/c compressor, it took a dump. I will replace anything in there that looks questionable or is difficult to get at when things are back together.

Now for my first real obstacle. I have read here on the forums numerous times about undoing the compressor bracket, lifting it out of the way and gaining access to the front plugs. I have the hoses disconnected, yes, I had the freon bled off at the radiator shop. I removed the 2 compressor to bracket bolts, the 3 bellows to compressor bolts and the 2 bracket to block bolts. I can't see anything else attached, but, it doesn't seem to want to lift out or pull forward. I am very hesitant about putting too much strain on it, but, I want to use enough force. I realize this thing is going to be in the neighborhood of 40lbs or more.

Does it sound like it should come out of there or am I missing something??

I have been a life long subscriber to, More's Law and the BFH approach, but, I am trying to change my ways.

Thanks, Terry

Old 03-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry
I removed the 2 compressor to bracket bolts, the 3 bellows to compressor bolts and the 2 bracket to block bolts. I can't see anything else attached, but, it doesn't seem to want to lift out or pull forward. I am very hesitant about putting too much strain on it, but, I want to use enough force.

There TWO brackets. One front, one rear. From your description I'm not 100% certain you got all both of 'em.

Each bracket has four bolts: two compressor-to-bracket and two bracket-to-engine.

I leave the brackets attached to the compressor and remove the four bracket-to-engine bolts...but that's a matter of choice

Cheers
DD

Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM

Thanks Doug,

I found the 2 rear bracket to compressor bolts, took 'em out and what do you know. From the angle I was looking it didn't look like a bracket.

Thanks again, Terry

Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry
Thanks Doug,

I found the 2 rear bracket to compressor bolts, took 'em out and what do you know. From the angle I was looking it didn't look like a bracket.

Thanks again, Terry
I found unbolting the rear bracket from the engine made lining up the belt a real PITA.

BTW the later 6.0L used a Ford compressor much lighter than the A6 GM

Last edited by warrjon; 03-24-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon
I found unbolting the rear bracket from the engine made lining up the belt a real PITA.

BTW the later 6.0L used a Ford compressor much lighter than the A6 GM
I didn't loosen the rear bracket so I may be good to go on that.

I think I'll spring for the aluminum compressor, supposed to be 20lbs lighter.

This is like remodeling a house, one thing leads to another and you end up saying what the hell, it's only another $XXX.