XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Unicorn (aka rear window motor) in hand, but what's THIS light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Unicorn (aka rear window motor) in hand, but what's THIS light?

My girl is with her new best friend (my mechanic) again. This time for...wait for it...A WINDOW MOTOR!!! YES! I finally got one! Of course, it will take until next week since it has to be installed, the plug needs to be spliced and even though it was tested and I'm assured it works and has a six month warranty, we allll know none of that means anything.

But, on the way over there, the ABS warning light came on?! Never seen that before (and the manual says the brakes work fine so I just merrily drove). I'm hoping that's just because it's very damp and a connection was wonky. Mark said "maybe" to that, so I'm hoping....wish me luck.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Good luck, keep us updated

Any pics and ideas of cost may be helpful pointers to to others too....

Old 10-31-2013, 01:27 PM

The part is used, tested and warrantied for 6 months. Or so I'm told. The plug was cut off, however, so we'll have to splice the current one on. It cost $250 plus shipping for the part alone, from Johns Cars, Inc in Texas www.johnscars.com .

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Eaa
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gkazimir
My girl is with her new best friend (my mechanic) again. This time for...wait for it...A WINDOW MOTOR!!! YES! I finally got one! Of course, it will take until next week since it has to be installed, the plug needs to be spliced and even though it was tested and I'm assured it works and has a six month warranty, we allll know none of that means anything.

But, on the way over there, the ABS warning light came on?! Never seen that before (and the manual says the brakes work fine so I just merrily drove). I'm hoping that's just because it's very damp and a connection was wonky. Mark said "maybe" to that, so I'm hoping....wish me luck.
I had the ABS light come on once, with no obvious reason or noticeable effect on the brake's operation. I was near my destination already, after getting there and doing whatever I was there for, restarted the car and the light didn't come on. It hasn't come on again yet. If it had remained on, or the actual "brake" warning light was on, I would have been much more worried. Don't know if you had the opportunity to "reboot", and did the light stay on?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:46 PM

The light never came back on...at least not so far :-). We're pretty sure it was just a classic "ick! It's WET out here!" Jaguar electronics moment, or at least that's what her new best friend (my mechanic) and I have agreed to consider it. I'm just so thrilled to have, at the moment, four working windows!

I was warned that the red "brake" light takes a bit longer if it cool in my mechanic's estimation, but he feels it's an air temp issue with the pump just taking a bit to warm up (and we're talking seconds here). He did warn me if that light comes on and stays on I should NOT drive since stopping could be a problem, so I'll add that to my mental checklist. And I wonder why my husband won't drive my girl!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Eaa
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

If my car has been off for some time the brake and abs lights do take several - maybe up to ten - seconds to go off, and if I remember correctly the red brake light does usually take a second or two longer to go out than the abs light. To me it seems that the system just needs to pressurize after not running for a while. Is that what you meant? That behavior has been pretty consistent since I've had the car, a little over one year, hopefully its normal and not a sign of trouble coming.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eaa
If my car has been off for some time the brake and abs lights do take several - maybe up to ten - seconds to go off, and if I remember correctly the red brake light does usually take a second or two longer to go out than the abs light. To me it seems that the system just needs to pressurize after not running for a while. Is that what you meant? That behavior has been pretty consistent since I've had the car, a little over one year, hopefully its normal and not a sign of trouble coming.
Yup, that's it...and in cool weather it takes a bit longer to pressurize also. Nothing alarming, just an observation to be aware of. My mechanic does a good job of letting me know EVERYTHING he sees - not all (in fact, not much) of it is anything he feels he needs to address, but he informs me so I don't worry if I see something, and also so that if I notice a change I can address it before it becomes a problem.