XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Update and brain ticklers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Update and brain ticklers

Hi All, time for an update with my '89XJS convertible(Marelli), since last posting have ordered a mess of new parts for her mid-life make-over, and done a little tinkering. First the new parts, I was turned on to Capt. Jaguar, a very knowlegeable man (Steve), who struck me a deal on a full set of 6 top line adj. Koni shocks for the rear (4), and front (2), and also a new set of rear springs. I also have a transmission mount bushing kit and front brake dust shields coming from Capt. Steve also.

I bought a quality set of rear (inboard) Brake rotors and ceramic pads, along with e-pads and a full set of diff seals, from my local NAPA store. I figured if we're going into the IRS, may as well do all at the same time.

From FasterJags, I have the Growler Air Induction kit bought, plus a full tune-up kit form the Marelli Ignition -Plugs & wires, dist/rotor.
Spaing out these purchases over the last month or so wasn't quite so painful in the pocket.

I changed the big fuel filter located behind the spare tire tonight, and now have my Pioneer CD/MP3/USB player completely installed, had it done once but missed the spacing of the mounting tabs on the sleeve by 1/4", which made the deck protrude slightly beyond the outside trim ring. A half hour removing deck, re-soldering the bracket tabs, remounting all, re-assembling the center AC/fan controls, final fit of the trim ring, looks great, and the Eagles sounds soooooo awesome with the matching four Pioneer round 6.5" speakers. I'm having a glitch with the power antenna, the fuse under the left side dash for the trunk lights/power antenna was blown, replaced it, wouldn't work. -fuse next to power antenna unit was also blown, replaced it, and it blew instantly- - not quite sure if mis-wired the antenna wire in the harness, or my problem lies with the antenna itself. -That is next.

While I was preparing to replace the fuel filter, I went on a sight-seeing tour inside the trunk, taking out ever bit of the carpeting, looking for more fuses. I found some relays on the right side up over the rear wheel, and the two bullet-proof aluminum electronic controller boxes, one on each side. I believe the left one is Antilock Brakes Module. It had a dangling 3-wire red female round connector coming from a bundle of wires next to this controller, and thinking it must've come out of it, I unsnapped it from the wheelwell, but it was sealed solid, and had no place to plug it anywhere - - -possibly a factory testing lead? -AND, on the right side, next to the other massive controller module, was another red four-wire, flat plug terminal, with a blanking cap plugged into it - - Again possibly a factory/dealer testing plug?
My prized kitty is still working very well, driving it to work at least three days a week, and Mumsie and I cruise in grand style most weekends. The only other immediate snag is I haven't gotten any heat from the heating system yet, I can hear the whirring of servos from turning the left AC knob. I picked up a heater control vacuum valve on e-bay, will change it over the weekend, after I see if I have proper vacuum.
Enough for tonight, I'll check in tomorrow.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Internal short on the aerial (antenna) is a common problem after a few decades... A lot of the time when the short first develops, it will only be a small but continuous current draw that will drain the battery over a few days or so.

If yours is shorted and causing the blown fuse you can check by (1) measuring the resistance across the circuit to the aerial or (2) unplugging the aerial in the trunk and seeing if that fuse no longer blows...

Aerial is the same powered antenna design common across mid-80s GM cars and there are plenty of aftermarket versions available in the $50 range. Cost for an OEM model is prohibitive, but some forum members have reported getting them at a good value on E-Bay.

Heater valve in the engine bay is another common failure item and will eventually seize shut or open... troubleshooting and replacement covered in detail in the Book.

Believe you may be referring to the ECU as the bullet proof aluminum box over the RH rear wheel well.

Cheers,

- Will

Last edited by macboots; 09-25-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default New Parts, Antenna fuse

Thanks MacB, The fuse that blew the second I put it in the holder (with the ig. key on and radio on, was the one located at the antenna itself, so I'm confident it is the antenna shorted somewhere. I'm removing it this weekend, and slowly going to dismantle it, to see if I can find and fix it. If not, I'll search out a new one, would love to find another original Hirshmann, but may need to settle for a universal.
Regarding the ECU and other (Antilock) modles, what had me puzzled was the two red plugs (wires) that were dangling there. The round 3-pin female connector even had an o-ring seal, which made me think it must've gone somewhere, danged if I could find where.

Mumsie and I are running down across the border into Maine in the Jag for a little shopping trip on the weekend, hope she keeps working sweet.