XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Wayne,
NO...I appreciated your answer. I absolutely agree and understand. I was trying to interject a little humor. I just want to do something about the cats, and am not going to pay the crazy amount of money they want for new ones. I will probably end up gutting them, since that seems to be the cheapest way to go.
Sorry for any misunderstanding...Jimmy

The following 2 users liked this post by JayCee:
orangeblossom (03-28-2016), paulyling (03-28-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I have an extra set of air cleaners I cut open for intake noise, and I would consider straight piping the mufflers if I could keep the originals to switch back.

Just beware, the 3 speed blows and is really bad about creating drone. I can't really drive above 60 with the intakes cutout because of the drone. Most roads around here are 35-45 so it isn't a big deal, but I'd put the regular intakes on if I was going on the highway.

I can't imagine the exhaust being loud and more difficult to swap back. That is why my idea on XJS exhaust, that the 3 speed creates too much drone and that sometimes a Jaguar should just be silent, leaves me thinking the only good solution is electric cutouts. For now I would prefer to fix stuff than spend a bunch on something like that, but for me cutouts are the way to go unless I get a manual trans.

The following 2 users liked this post by sidescrollin:
Old 03-28-2016, 12:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake buster, any chance of you getting us a video of your car running so we chan hear what she sounds like? Thanks

The following 2 users liked this post by Highflyer:
Old 03-28-2016, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Highflyer
Brake buster, any chance of you getting us a video of your car running so we chan hear what she sounds like? Thanks
Yes! That is also something, that I would love to hear as I have nothing to compare mine with.

I also made a Video of my Car Starting Up and Running till the AVC cut out but unfortunately it came out 'Upside Down' (not kidding here!)

It was made on my 'Smart Phone' so that is probably why, so I'm going to make another one with my DSLR but there's a Storm going on at the moment, so I have to wait a while for better Weather.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

My 94 v12 has the first clamp after the second cat, so I assume I would need to completely remove the header/ downpipe to gut these 2? The third cats should be easier to get to? If I get these gutted, I assume a local muffler shop can legally remove the mid mufflers and install some better tail resonators?
I'm just trying to determine the complexity of the job.

Thanks...Jimmy

paulyling (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

something i put on the other thread, hopefully it comes out ok ?

i will try for a bonnet up version while i blip it a little next weekend, lol

BB

The following 2 users liked this post by Brake buster:
Highflyer (03-29-2016), orangeblossom (03-29-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Brake buster
something i put on the other thread, hopefully it comes out ok ?
i will try for a bonnet up version while i blip it a little next weekend, lol

BB
Nice BB

Heh I notice you have twin exhaust both sides. Did you add that or did your particular model always come with that arrangement? What year is your beauty?

orangeblossom (03-29-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
Nice BB

Heh I notice you have twin exhaust both sides. Did you add that or did your particular model always come with that arrangement? What year is your beauty?
I believe it's got the double tail pipes because it's an R-S like mine, they were installed as standard on our sport models.

Rich

The following 2 users liked this post by Beavis:
orangeblossom (03-29-2016), paulyling (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 04:52 PM

IMG_0053 by MyPix on Talk Photography

BB

Does anybody know when the Black Manifold Intake Plates were installed and when the Red ones came about (ie. what year and models?)

I know the 85 XJS did not have them. I always thought it was a facelift model thing.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:08 PM

only the ' facelift ' XJR-s models had the red ' Jaguarsport ' ones , mostly the 6ltr versions from 1992 onwards which had different intake manifolds

but a popular addition to any V12 , especially the standard black ones

BB

orangeblossom (03-29-2016), paulyling (03-28-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 AM

only the ' facelift ' XJR-s models had the red ' Jaguarsport ' ones , mostly the 6ltr versions from 1992 onwards which had different intake manifolds

but a popular addition to any V12 , especially the standard black ones

BB
Cheers for the info BB

So what about the Black Ones?

What models came out with them or were they simply an aftermarket addition?

By the way, I just purchased mine off Jaguar Heritage (black version) and the cam cover stickers. Can't wait to get them

Turned out to be only £61.12 which is about $116 AUD. That includes postage and the two cam cover stickers. I am surprised it was actually cheaper from Jaguar Heritage than Ebay and other sites. On average they wanted about $150 for the plates (a pair) before delivery!

And finally, what is the best adhesive to stick the plates onto the manifold to?

Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

The "black ones" we're not an "option" they fit on the later model manifolds and came that way on all cars after a certain vin Jaguar changed the intake castings and eliminated the heat sink fins and built them with a rectangular opening that the plates fit in, standard issue on all v12's of that era. Any V-12 you see with the plates "glued" to the top of the heat sink fins was done by the car owner and not jaguar. http://jaguar-parts.jagbits.com/ebc2843 Below is two pix, one with the castings as came from Jaguar, one as someone "added" the plates. Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl-image-4247009350.jpg Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl-image-2233649812.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
orangeblossom (03-29-2016), paulyling (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:33 AM

Cheers JT

So in saying that, what is the best and most reliable adhesive to use to stick the plates on the older style manifold with fins?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:51 AM

Cheers JT

So in saying that, what is the best and most reliable adhesive to use to stick the plates on the older style manifold with fins?
they come with a full double sided adhesive tape already attached

and they are very good ,

congrats on buying them , and especially from Jaguar direct , these are genuine original Jaguar parts that you have bought , and will be of the highest quality , and they will make a noticeable difference when you open the bonnet at car shows etc,

though as stated above, they are stuck on by the owners, but are not pretending to be anything other than what they are , and for the most part fully accepted by other owners

one this you probably don't know, they are fully polished chrome badges with the black section in relief , so the chrome is proud by about 1mm , looks really nice in the flesh........ and tactile

enjoy

BB

orangeblossom (03-29-2016), paulyling (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Ok, well in the spirit of the Thread's title, here is my plan for upgrading my exhaust to hopefully get a "Euro growl".

Many thanks to a good mate (fellow forum member) for helping me come up with the plans.

Now...just gotta save up the funds and make moves towards getting her sorted.

(I only hope the exploded view of the exhaust is pretty much what I got under my bonnet as currently I am on the other side of the continent working at sea)

Attached Thumbnails Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl-intermediate-rear.png   Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl-take-2.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice

paulyling (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 732 Posts

Ok, well in the spirit of the Thread's title, here is my plan for upgrading my exhaust to hopefully get a "Euro growl".

Many thanks to a good mate (fellow forum member) for helping me come up with the plans.

Now...just gotta save up the funds and make moves towards getting her sorted.

(I only hope the exploded view of the exhaust is pretty much what I got under my bonnet as currently I am on the other side of the continent working at sea)
Not sure that will do it Pauly.
I am running 2.25" on my 6 litre back to original straight through rear resonators. No mufflers and with windows up no noise at highway speed unless l plant the foot. If you are replacing those straight through resonators with mufflers l would assume it will be less not more.
May l ask the reason for X pipe on V12?

paulyling (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by baxtor
Not sure that will do it Pauly.
I am running 2.25" on my 6 litre back to original straight through rear resonators. No mufflers and with windows up no noise at highway speed unless l plant the foot. If you are replacing those straight through resonators with mufflers l would assume it will be less not more.
May l ask the reason for X pipe on V12?
Hi Baxer

I am still but a learner so my honest answer is I am not entirely sure yet, however my friend who help me come up with this plan has just upgraded his XJR and it sounds fantastic, so I have faith

Still, our plans were done back and forth on the web so I may of got something mixed up in translation. In saying that, if there are any errors it will be from me, not my mate lol!

On mufflers and Resonators, Jaguar Heritage website just calls them silencers, but from my understanding, the rear ones are mufflers and the intermediate ones are resonators. Can anybody confirm? Have I got it a** about face?
From what I have learn't Resonators cut the high tones Mufflers lower the volume

The plan is to to leave the front section as is, then, attacking the intermediate and rear section as below, to the best of my understanding:

1) Delete items 1 and 2 (intermidiate resonators) and replace with X pipe:
Exhaust gas is pushed out harder as the engine spins faster. The X-Pipe pushes out the exhaust gases into two uniform streams, allowing a smooth flow from engine to tailpipe. Both streams keep each other up to speed, which draws even more spent exhaust out the cylinders. Will help to provide a boost in horsepower and a higher tone. More noticeably at higher RPMs.

As I understand it: X-Pipe = exotic car tone vs H-Pipe = muscle car tone

2) Run straight pipe to the rear mufflers and swap out the stock rear mufflers (item 13) with Lukey Vt(valve technology) sports mufflers.

3) Upgrade the pipes from stock to 2 1.4 in. The calculation my mate did based on the size of my engine and a bit of mathematical wizardry.

He told me once its on I may need small 300-400mm long resonators to cut any raspy sound so we are going to see how it goes.

I am aiming for a Euro Growl but definitely nothing like a muscle car.

Be patient....I am a beginner and encourage any feedback.

cheers

p.s We have been coming at it on the view point of two separate engines. One either side. 6 cylinders each side if that makes sense.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl-intermediate-rear.png   Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl-take-2.jpg  

Last edited by paulyling; 03-30-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,115 Likes on 5,367 Posts

Paul
The bigger items under the middle of the car are Silencers (aka by USA English as mufflers). The rearmost items in the tunnels each side of the boot are resonators. So A about F it is in your post!

In the UK they are all called silencers, resonators also being called "straight through" silencers. Subject to correction by experts, I think I remember from the very good book published by Roger Bywater (Engine Technology for the modern world, which I highly recommend as it is really informative and written for the interested layman) resonators remove certain sound frequencies and the bigger ones certain others. It is a matter of which design removed which frequencies best.

It all comes down to how much noise you can stand! If the middle silencers are removed then the noise will be substantially increased, I have heard an XJS with this done and it was basically deafening. I am NOT saying this is the case for all cars so treated, but it was for the one I actually heard accelerating away when I was standing outside it. If the rearmost ones are removed then drone results as those frequencies are unsilenced. There is no substitute for trying a few combinations and deciding what you like best, which is fun but potentially expensive.

I am pretty sure (again from the above book) that a cross pipe of whatever sort may change the tone of the exhaust; but will do nothing for power or efficiency, and may even make it a bit worse as the resonance required to generate the sonic waves that aid cylinder emptying on the exhaust stroke may be made less effective, depending upon where the cross pipes are placed.
Greg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (03-30-2016), paulyling (03-30-2016), ronbros (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Paul
The bigger items under the middle of the car are Silencers (aka by USA English as mufflers). The rearmost items in the tunnels each side of the boot are resonators. So A about F it is in your post!

In the UK they are all called silencers, resonators also being called "straight through" silencers. Subject to correction by experts, I think I remember from the very good book published by Roger Bywater (Engine Technology for the modern world, which I highly recommend as it is really informative and written for the interested layman) resonators remove certain sound frequencies and the bigger ones certain others. It is a matter of which design removed which frequencies best.

It all comes down to how much noise you can stand! If the middle silencers are removed then the noise will be substantially increased, I have heard an XJS with this done and it was basically deafening. I am NOT saying this is the case for all cars so treated, but it was for the one I actually heard accelerating away when I was standing outside it. If the rearmost ones are removed then drone results as those frequencies are unsilenced. There is no substitute for trying a few combinations and deciding what you like best, which is fun but potentially expensive.

I am pretty sure (again from the above book) that a cross pipe of whatever sort may change the tone of the exhaust; but will do nothing for power or efficiency, and may even make it a bit worse as the resonance required to generate the sonic waves that aid cylinder emptying on the exhaust stroke may be made less effective, depending upon where the cross pipes are placed.
Greg
Cheers Greg. You are certainly a wealth of knowledge my friend

So would this be correct now?:

Attached Thumbnails Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl-mufflersandresonators.jpg  
orangeblossom (03-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Upgrading Exhaust to get more growl