XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

water pump or hose ?? 89 xjs v12 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Default water pump or hose ?? 89 xjs v12 convertible

Took my baby out of the garage and let it stand while running. Soon smoke and radiator fluid. Back into the garage on ramps. Looks like it is coming from the hose from the radiator to the water pump or the pump itself. Took the hose off, looks ok (how do you test a hose ?) Same for the water pump... Just guessing, buy a new hose and if that doesn't do it... must be water pump ??
BTW... the left (drivers side) fan only operates with AC on?? or should it run anyway ??
Thanks... Ken in Wild and Wonderful WV.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:26 PM

OK, I found the leak... It was coming from a tiny hose on top of the left radiator going to the water pump ?? or something else? that I don't know what it is.... but had to remove the air filter on the driver's side to find it. About a 1/4 inch hose that I should be able to find tomorrow. As soon as I start to understand my engine parts better, I will be able to describe what it was.....

Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Sweet find

The water pumps on the V12 are not a real common failure item, but "Murphy" does get in there from time to time.

My strong suggestion would be to factor in a COMPLETE hose change in as near the future as you can manage. I know its cooling down up there now, but the cooling system still works hard on these at anytime. It will take you a weekend. The blood will flow, as will the language, but not as much as an overheated engine would.

I generally remove the radiator, and get it professionally cleaned inside and out.

Replace the belts.

Replace the heater tap.

Others will add to the list I am sure.

The following users liked this post:
kenatofc (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
OK, I found the leak... It was coming from a tiny hose on top of the left radiator going to the water pump ?? or something else? that I don't know what it is.... but had to remove the air filter on the driver's side to find it. About a 1/4 inch hose that I should be able to find tomorrow. As soon as I start to understand my engine parts better, I will be able to describe what it was.....
This is the pressure feed hose from the water pump to the air extraction system on the top of the rad, that bleeds unwanted air out of the cooling system automatically and continuously. The high pressure goes into a T join in the thin steel tube you will see that runs along the rad top. This tube, at the T, runs into a slightly larger diameter pipe and from there back to the headrer tank, and the pressure drop thus caused between the two different diameters, causes the system to suck air up through the leg of the T from the banjo joint at the other side of the rad.

If I have understood you correctly, your hose is No 3 in this diagram:

Radiator - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Good luck with getting to know the car, it is terrifying at first, but after 10 years or so, a little less! Grant, by the by, knows everything there is to about these cars, and changing all the hoses is an absolute must.

Greg

kenatofc (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM

I will schedule some time this winter for Candance to get a "hose Job".... The radiator was replace by the previous owner less than 10,000 miles ago so see no need to remove and clean. How long should hoses last in the V12 high heat environment ?? BTW... anyone use or recommend the QuickCat K&N air system ?? thanks

Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by kenatofc
How long should hoses last in the V12 high heat environment ??

For years and years..... generally speaking.

The original hoses used by Jaguar were high grade as were the true Jaguar replacements. Nowadays, though, we're facing a general decline in the quality of replacement parts and even the Jaguar-labeled stuff isn't beyond suspicion.

Apparently Jaguar has handed over (at least some of) their replacement parts business, including hoses, to an outfit called "URO". Reviews of URO-supplied parts are mixed at best....and I'm trying to be kind here.

Shop carefully!

Cheers
DD

kenatofc (11-05-2013)