What 'Font' did Jaguar use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default What 'Font' did Jaguar use?

Hi

I was thinking of getting a House Sign made, that looked a bit 'Jaguar-esq'
Not going into production Lol, just for my personal use.

And was wondering if anyone knew what 'Font' they used and well as the Shade of Green that was used for the background.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:17 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,177 Posts

This is what came up using Google

Jaguar Font and Jaguar Logo

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

As you probably know, Jaguar are incredibly protective about their trademarks. In the UK, in recent years, they have proposed legal action against a lot of Jaguar parts and after-market service providers for using the Jaguar font, leaper etc. I can appreciate, to some extent, their approach, but think there is possibly a halfway position where they could licence the use of teh name and images.

Anyway, they are hardly likely to come after your house name!

Jaguar designed the font specifically to use on their literature etc. The website and referenced font that Vee has identified is close, but not identical, to the real font. However you could use that font and photoshop off some of the character tails etc to get very close to the real font.

Paul

orangeblossom (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

As you probably know, Jaguar are incredibly protective about their trademarks. In the UK, in recent years, they have proposed legal action against a lot of Jaguar parts and after-market service providers for using the Jaguar font, leaper etc. I can appreciate, to some extent, their approach, but think there is possibly a halfway position where they could licence the use of teh name and images.

Anyway, they are hardly likely to come after your house name!

Jaguar designed the font specifically to use on their literature etc. The website and referenced font that Vee has identified is close, but not identical, to the real font. However you could use that font and photoshop off some of the character tails etc to get very close to the real font.

Paul
Hi Paul

I've suddenly gone right off that idea for some reason, so I think I'll design a different one of my own.

leo newbiggin (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 05:42 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

just park it on your driveway in the sunshine. That will give everyone the information they need.

orangeblossom (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leo newbiggin
just park it on your driveway in the sunshine. That will give everyone the information they need.
I don't park her anywhere and definitely not in the driveway! Lol

Old 04-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

yeah a lot of makers of products have taken on a fierce defense of their trade names and logos. Kleenex, an old brand name, filed to do so and it became generic for tissue!!! Same for XEROX, it became generic for copiers and copies from any machine.

Ford for example has licensed it's logo and trade name to various companies making replacement parts for old Fords.

But, an individual making a sign or statuette for personal use and not for sale would probably violate nothing or draw any notice and ire.

Gee, sounds like Jaguar would like the free advertising!!!

At one time replacement Ford hub caps were sold. The script on them was suggestive of the Blue FORD, but quite different. Not a name or even a word. Blue, though....

I've contemplated a Jeep figure as seen in old Popeye comic strips.
My Jeep just oughta have a hood ornament.

I've thought of one for m y mail/post box. I've an unwanted telephone hand set n the form of a black pre face lift XJS. Gutted on a pedestal? Were it in the form of an series 3, XJ6 it would be there....

Carl

orangeblossom (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
yeah a lot of makers of products have taken on a fierce defense of their trade names and logos. Kleenex, an old brand name, filed to do so and it became generic for tissue!!! Same for XEROX, it became generic for copiers and copies from any machine.

Ford for example has licensed it's logo and trade name to various companies making replacement parts for old Fords.

But, an individual making a sign or statuette for personal use and not for sale would probably violate nothing or draw any notice and ire.

Gee, sounds like Jaguar would like the free advertising!!!

At one time replacement Ford hub caps were sold. The script on them was suggestive of the Blue FORD, but quite different. Not a name or even a word. Blue, though....

I've contemplated a Jeep figure as seen in old Popeye comic strips.
My Jeep just oughta have a hood ornament.

I've thought of one for m y mail/post box. I've an unwanted telephone hand set n the form of a black pre face lift XJS. Gutted on a pedestal? Were it in the form of an series 3, XJ6 it would be there....

Carl
Hi Carl

This is a project for the GF who has come up with the answer.

Which will be a round wooden plaque with my spare growler bolted in the middle.

If I can find it!