XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What next to try?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts
Default What next to try?

I’m trying to get my v12 back running after a major overhaul. We established the a bank fpr was not working and with grants advice deleted it and ran a direct line to the fuel rail. I have pulled plug 4a tonight and definitely have a spark. After deleting the fpr fuel also seems present. So why won’t she fire!,

Old 02-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Have you checked the coolant temperature sensor and crank position sensors?
There are numerous posts on here about them.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Brinny

Just a couple of things you could try until 'The Wizard' returns

(1) Is the Spark Plug Wet with Petrol or Bone Dry?

(2) Are you getting Fuel at Pressure just before the Fuel Pressure Regulator on 'B' Bank as unlike the FPR on 'A' Bank the FPR on 'B' Bank definitely needs to work

(3) Have you checked the Fuel Cut Out Switch on the Passenger Side Door Pillar?

(4) Have you got the right Coil Plugged into the 'Correct' Bank of Cylinders?
The Lower Coil (The Red One) Plugs into 'A' Bank

The Upper Coil (The Yellow One) Plugs into 'B' Bank

If you get those the wrong way round She won't Start! Ask me how I know, or rather don't!

That should give you something to do until 'Greg' and 'The Wizard' get back

Don B (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks lads . I will check all of those. Some very good suggestions. I have grant on the case too.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Brinny

I had a very similar No-Start Problem with my XJS V12 'Cherry Blossom'

This was right back at the beginning of getting 'Cherry' back on the road, after a layup of around 14 years, where at the Time in question I knew even less than I do now!

There was only one thing for it and that was to send for 'The Cavalry' in the shape of 'Greg' and 'Grant' who between them must have forgotten more about XJS's than most people would ever know!

So to paraphrase a Quote from myself I had such Faith in those two Guys, that I clearly remember saying that:
"If they can't get her Started, then the Engine must be missing"

So all I did was to follow everything that they told me to do, which I might add wasn't easy for a non-mechanic like myself, who probably holds the Record for taking 3 days to change the Spark Plugs

Which was about as easy, as Building a Ship in a Bottle, with a Blindfold on!

But eventually we got there and She Started!

So if you want to see a Step by Step of everything we did, have a look at Page: 11 (onwards) of my 'Cherry Blossom' restoration thread and here is a link to that Page: How 'Greg' and 'Grant' Fixed my XJS with just a little help from me, as I was the one with the 'Spanners!'

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "What 'Greg' and 'Grant' don't know about XJS's, you don't need to know!

Have a look 'Brinny' something useful to you might roll out

Grant Francis (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

You said back running after an overhaul, so does this mean it was working prior? If so make sure the ignition leads go to the correct place.

First the plug lead positions on a Marelli dissy are different to a Lucas, make sure these are correct.

Check the leads from the ignition modules to the dissy are correct, eg if you swap the inputs from the ignition modules to the coils the car will not start because the ECU will be firing the wrong coil. Same if you put the HT leads from the coil to the wrong input on the dissy.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
You said back running after an overhaul, so does this mean it was working prior? If so make sure the ignition leads go to the correct place.

First the plug lead positions on a Marelli dissy are different to a Lucas, make sure these are correct.

Check the leads from the ignition modules to the dissy are correct, eg if you swap the inputs from the ignition modules to the coils the car will not start because the ECU will be firing the wrong coil. Same if you put the HT leads from the coil to the wrong input on the dissy.

you may may have a point warren. I tried again last night, and it wouldn’t start. This time though it backfired once and it is as if the timing is wrong. I have checked the ht leads are correct as per ob suggestion and I think the amp are ok on the front. However I may have got the coil plugs wrong? I will swap them around later and try again . Thank you.

orange blossom, thanks for the input and encouragement. The link is helpful , and as you say the great minds and willingness to help from the generous folk here will hopefully get her over the line.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member

Car was running ok before overhaul.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Brinny

With the help I got from 'Greg' and 'Grant' we worked through every component 'one at a time and slowly' and then it finally got to the Stage where we had almost run out of ideas

Except for a long shot so far away from any real reality, that it almost didn't seem to be worth trying which was swapping the Coil leads around from 'A' Bank to 'B' Bank

As when I was putting the Engine back together, it some how never occurred to me that which Coil Lead went to which 'Bank' would make any difference

This was really getting close to the last throw of the dice but when I swapped those Coil Leads around, She instantly fired up and ran like a bird

With the Benefit of hindsight, in a way I'm glad that I 'Screwed Up' as I don't thing I will ever make that mistake again!

Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Just an update on my car. After a couple of weeks of questions , some of which felt a bit daft I went to the car today and swapped a couple of wires around and hey presto!! All 12 fired up as if to say thank god for that.!. The main reason of this post is to publicly offer great thanks to the forum members who have helped me so much over the last 3 years. Grant , Greg, and warren, the only thing as endless as your patience and knowledge is probably my stupidity. That said , with your help I’ve stripped and rebuilt all the suspension front and back , pulled the engine and gearbox and put it back and got it running. Daim and orange blossom have both been kind enough to assist whenever they can. Our friends in the USA have also contributed on regular occasions and all in all it makes for a great forum. Anyone new to these cars need fear not, this is the place to be.

The following 3 users liked this post by brinny:
Grant Francis (02-20-2019), Greg in France (02-21-2019), orangeblossom (02-20-2019)