XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS 1991 not reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XJS 1991 not reverse

Hi,
I got a new trouble with my jag - no reverse at low rpm. I guess it started about a year ago when on reverse car was moving not very smoothly, slightly shivering, like something stuck in the wheel (more noticeable if you turn right moving backwards). My mechanic put in some additive and told me to ride several circles in reverse telling me this is a common problem if you don’t use car too much. It improved the situation and for a year everything was ok, but couple of days ago I shifted to reverse and the car wasn’t moving until I accelerated to 3000rpm. If the engine is cold it is not moving in reverse at all, if the engine is hot after a small ride it gets better.
One more thing that bothers me on top of the reverse gear. When I was riding on the highway 60mph with slight acceleration (3000-4000rpm) it didn’t up-shift to 3d gear, so I had to stop accelerating at all till it shifted to the higher gear.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Fluid level checked and OK?

Sometimes the seal at the filter pipe will fail and fluid can't be sucked into the filter. This is particularly common when cold...the rather infamous TH400 morning sickness. Have to drop the pan to check for this....which might reveal more clues

If the fluid level and filter are Ok I think there's a transmission overhaul in your future.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Doug,
Fluid level is ok, but the color is not bright (as far as i remember dextron should be red), though oil was changed only 2000miles ago.

Hope it is filter pipe...