XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Alarm Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XJS Alarm Problem.

Hi,

My first post and I hope you nice people can help!

I have a 1995 XJS Celebration Coupe 4.0

It has done about 20,000 miles and is in pretty good condition.

My problem is this.....

My key fob has stopped working and I am unable to switch the factory alarm off! I have no spare (although annoyingly I was in the process of ordering one)

When I go to unlock the doors with the key I get the warning tone from the alarm.

Of course as soon as I open the door the alarm sounds.

Can you tell me how I can stop the alarm/siren till I get this sorted?

Is there a fuse or relay I can disconnect until I get it sorted?

The alarm stops as soon as I disconnect the battery (so no battery backup?),

I have looked at other posts and I have no valet switch or override switch (unless it's hidden)

It also appears that when the car was sold to me I am missing the security manual so that doesn't help either!

But it's definately a factory system (jaguar key fob, the square one with the gold band running around the edge, large clear button with the jaguar head logo on it)

I had to drive home from work on Friday with the alarm going nuts! lol

Any help would be appreciated.

And yes I have put a new battery in the key fob.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Andrew

This advice worked for a 93 car, so not sure if it's applicable to your later 95.

The alarm control unit, as well as a back up battery are located in the trunk, on the right hand side, just under the aerial. You should be able to unplug it to silence the alarm.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under the XJS FAQs there is a link for recoding your fob.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=33577

Hope it helps

The following users liked this post:
Lucielle (09-03-2021)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:24 AM

Thanks for that guys,

I'll have a look after work tonight and see if I have any luck.

I did see the picture showing the alarm system in the boot area but as the alarm doesn't seem to have a backup battery I'm not sure what's there.

I did look at the key fob reprogramming procedure but it only seems to list for XJ6 models. Were they the same as my car?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I managed to get the car into reprogramming mode, by

1. Turn the car on (not engine)
2. connect the yellow w/white stripe wire with the black wire (I used two twist ties to make the connection from the back of the harness plug)
3. Turn the car back off
4. quickly tap the two wires together several times (somewhere between 5-8 times)

You'll hear some wacky noises come from under the hood. Difficult to hear with the windows up, so make sure they're down.

I could not, however add a new remote. It would only recognize the original remote. I did have to press it in 5 times. I don't know if the used remote I bought in eBay works or not.

I think you should try this for your car...if it works, I would love to know. Then I can assume the second remote, is in fact, dead.

Lucielle (09-03-2021)
Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in giving an update but thought I would say what I've done with things on the car and it's alarm.

I have stopped using the key fob (for the time being anyway), it's very troublesome!

Tried disconnecting the harness plug to the alarm ECU that connects to the siren, but although that worked it also activated the immoboliser so I could not start the car. Looks like the siren is buried behind the bumper?

Anyway, lots of swearing and pressing of the remote later suddenly it worked and the alarm switched off.

So at the moment I'm just using the key to lock the car and I'm not using the fob at all.

Saving up for a new one, and I'll update when I've learned it with the car's alarm.

Very frustrating situation, but at least I'm mobile.

Thanks for all the help.

I've got a few more questions about this car and my Dad's Daimler which I'll post later.

Thanks again.

Lucielle (09-03-2021)
Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Yes, please keep us posted, I am particularly interested in what you learn from all of this. I only have one FOB as well. I am planning to bite the bullet and have a new one programmed by...yes...the dealer.

I hear that some specialty locksmiths can do it as well...but you'll have to buy a used FOB somehow.

I'd be most curious with what you end up paying for your final solution. I wouldn't ignore this for too long, you never know how that alarm might reinitialize itself...maybe when you switch the car battery or something.

Lucielle (09-03-2021)
Old 10-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Unlock and enter the vehicle (the alarm will start to sound)

2. Place the key into the ignition

3. Turn ignition switch "ON" but do not start engine

4. Turn ignition switch "OFF"

Repeat 3 and 4 five times and the alarm will disarm.

Lucielle (09-03-2021)
Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I was having similar problems with my one and only FOB for my 2000 XJR for the past few weeks but I've now dramatically improved the fobs performance by following some advice I saw here on the forums.

I went to Frys electronics and bought a "silver contact" pen that is supposed to be used in the printed circuit board industry. Basically this pen deposits "ink" that is conductive, so you can use it to draw circuit lines which will conduct.

I opened up my key fob and applied a drop of this stuff to the rubber contact part on the back on the push button. This contact is what creates the circuit against the open tracks on the PCB inside the fob.

I also replaced the batteries. The result is that my fob works great even at long range. I am hoping this holds up for a while. This is the rubbery button part from the back, with the silver stuff on it. (There are 4 buttons on the XJ keyfobs, but you get the idea)