XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJS Brake Problem

I have a 1992 XJS Convertible and the left front brake caliper is not working. When brakes applied car pulls to right. I changed the pads same issue. I tried to bleed the brakes but not fluid is going to the left caliper. I was thinking it may be the ABS system not allowing fluid flow or a faulty valve, ect. I was going to perform a diagnstics through the ECU but I can not figure out how they number the pins for reference. Any suggestions on iether the ECU pin numbers or why I am not getting fluid to my lefet Cailper. Remaining brakes work fine. I do not have any Brake light or ABS light illuminated ect during start-up

confused

Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Received 10,290 Likes on 6,810 Posts

Probably a bad hose to that caliper. I have had them where they break down inside and block fluid. Or they expand when pressure is applied to the system, NOT your issue, coz you say "no fluid to that caliper".

If the system has NOT been fluid flushed on a regular basis, most have not, you could have fluid "gunk" build up that is blocking flow. This looks like black mud. Now that could be in the hose itself, or in the caliper, or worse case, in the steel pipes.

It could be as simple as a blocked bleed nipple, which of course will make bleeding impossible, and fluid in the caliper all gunked up. Take the nipple out, and ensure it is clean in both holes.

No simple fix in my opinion, we are talking brakes here, but I would remove the hose and see if it is clear, if it is clear move on to the caliper, apply air pressure CAREFULLY to the caliper inlet with the bleed nipple OUT, and see if the "gunk" blows out, be carefull here as brake fluid is a top paint stripper, and not nice in the eye either.

The last would be the steel line to the master cylinder/ABS connector, easily tested with the hose removed, push the pedal, see if fluid comes out of the pipe, simple.

Of course the whole brake system will require bleeding afte rthe fault is found.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you ever figure this out? My car is doing the exact same thing.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by wesmc2
Did you ever figure this out? My car is doing the exact same thing.
I just had the same issue as well. I found all fluids were clear but pad wear on the inside front caliper was higher and rotors were dragging. This was an indication that pistons were not retracting well.

Pulled the caliper off and found that the outer dist covers had perished and allowed more dirt and water in to the gap between the piston and caliper.

Removed all 8 pistons, cleaned them and the caliper bores etc. and replaced all seals. Pistons move in and out much better now and brakes are firm and not dragging or pulling one way.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

first troublshooting step would be to pump fluid and take steps through each connection.

Check bleed valve. If nothing, remove bleeder valve.
Check connect to caliper. If nothing check connection to steel line.
Check steel line to abs. If nothing, its probably the abs.