XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Trip computer replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJS Trip computer replacement options

My XJS has the trip computer in the center of the dash... it works, but seems a little unnecessary...and a little dated... has anyone replaced this device with something else?

Like a GPS of some kind, or DVD player?... I did replace my original radio and speakers with a more modern CD player, just not sure what to do with the space for the trip computer...

Ideas?

Old 10-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

It would likely be too shallow to put anything meaningful there. I suspect you don't have much more than 2" behind that faceplate.

You could put a satellite radio receiver there, I suppose, but I'd rather just have something that was integrated into a head unit already.

Perhaps plug in a better trip computer, like ScanGauge?

Old 10-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

IMHO the clock option looks much better/stylish then the trip computer.

http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk...itch-3-6-litre

Old 10-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I have a triple gauge pack where the computer was. Much more accurate than the factory gauges

Old 10-11-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you send a pic or the specs on the guages... I like the idea of this.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

Gauges are probably your best use for that space. I put two Auto Meter temp & a oil pressure gauge. Installed sensors in each water rail. Keeps an eye on each head.
I used a pod that fits into the opening. Its not flush though. My gauges are 2 1/8". There's a man on JagLovers installed Sun gauges that are 1 3/4" & fit flush, really look good, he has pictures.
Lawrence

Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A compass, a vacuum guage, engine oil temperature, transmission oil temperature,
ammeter...

Too bad that most of the surplus WWII aircraft gauges are now gone. they looked "official".

But, an "up to date" with larger numerals would be slick. I rarely pay any attention to the gobbleygook the one in my lump produces, other than the time of day...

The one in my Jeep does a lot of neat things, including a compass. MPG in real time is fascinating....

Or room enough for a GPS??

Or a "smart" phone? Rig to use the car speakers and a remote mike????

Carl

Old 10-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

You can probably tell that I'm a gadget/gauges dude if you have seen my cokpit. I once had my digital sound processor in the trip computer slot, but I later realized that the trip computer is what belongs in that spot and I really like (use) the info. I have always thought that the trip computer is one heck of a lot better device to have there than just the un-stylish clock; AJ16 owners got short changed, except fot '95 V12 owners. The trip computer rules...

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
Flint Ironstag (12-11-2021), Jonathan-W (10-14-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

I've seen LCDs displaying rear view cameras & other information fit in that space.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:44 AM

Since the dash gauge's have a reputation of not being most accurate & driving a v12 requires keeping one eye on the road & the other on the temp gauge is why I installed the two Auto Meter (AM) coolant temp gauges. For example, when my dash gauge reads in the middle of the "N" my AM gauges read about 210 F in the water rails, oil pressure is around 35lbs. IMOP considering the limited space in the XJ-S & driving in Florida heat, these gauges have priority over cameras, compass or other irrelevant toys.
Lawrence

Last edited by 44lawrence; 10-13-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Maybe its me...But l like the trip computer.

The following 4 users liked this post by malc4d:
bknorwood (06-19-2020), csbush (12-09-2021), Flint Ironstag (12-11-2021), smgdata (06-05-2020)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

I think thinking the single clock is "un stylish" is a matter of opinion, there is a nice later clock that. fits with the leaper on it and (only my opinion) that trip computer looks like something from a bad 80's sci fi show. I'd much rather have the unstylish clock then that chincy looking gadget. In my XJ6 series III I opted for the euro dash with single clock and ditched that trip computer, made the car look less "I love the 80's" 😉

Old 10-13-2015, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I think thinking the single clock is "un stylish" is a matter of opinion, there is a nice later clock that. fits with the leaper on it and (only my opinion) that trip computer looks like something from a bad 80's sci fi show. I'd much rather have the unstylish clock then that chincy looking gadget. In my XJ6 series III I opted for the euro dash with single clock and ditched that trip computer, made the car look less "I love the 80's" 😉
Sorry to disagree...
My fuel gauge is only a reference because fuel gauges are typically very non-linear, so what i use routinely is the digital alternative that I'm lucky to have. It's also nice to have a device that reminds me of instant and/or ave gas mileage, especially after possible work or changes done from engine to tires. Needless to mention the many times that I have enjoyed being able to read codes to address an on-going running gear problem. There must be a reason why, on the 1995 models, the more expensive V12 features the trip computer and the less expensive six did not...

There are many things that look 80'sh on the XJS, why? Because the car was originally designed, well, before than that, like in the early 70's, only that this trip computer is supposed to be more modern, being a facelift part.
The trip computer (both, the older one and the newer one) is part of the XJS identity that completes the car's dash. The clock alternative on the 95/96 AJ16 is not bad, but a more stylish clock like the one on the XJR would be nice. BTW, I also use the trip computer in my XJR routinely, very convenient.

Cheers,

Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Sorry to disagree...
My fuel gauge is only a reference because fuel gauges are typically very non-linear, so what i use routinely is the digital alternative that I'm lucky to have. It's also nice to have a device that reminds me of instant and/or ave gas mileage, especially after possible work or changes done from engine to tires. Needless to mention the many times that I have enjoyed being able to read codes to address an on-going running gear problem. There must be a reason why, on the 1995 models, the more expensive V12 features the trip computer and the less expensive six did not...

There are many things that look 80'sh on the XJS, why? Because the car was originally designed, well, before than that, like in the early 70's, only that this trip computer is supposed to be more modern, being a facelift part.
The trip computer (both, the older one and the newer one) is part of the XJS identity that completes the car's dash. The clock alternative on the 95/96 AJ16 is not bad, but a more stylish clock like the one on the XJR would be nice. BTW, I also use the trip computer in my XJR routinely, very convenient.

Cheers,

PUSH the TIME button on the bottom right...

whoa.... 80/90's digital clock....

and the fuel gauge .... well mine was on red last time and I could only pump 16 gallons and it topped it off....

so I reset it at the last fill up and look at the fuel used this go around...

Old 10-14-2015, 11:47 AM

When someone buys a 12cyl anything the last question to be concerned about is gas mileage. Its like buying a Hummer & worrying about MPG. The trip computer in the xjs has more than 20 year old technology, (older than Apple 2GS) If you want to check your MPG/MPL try speedometer reading miles into gallons used (you don't have to be a math major) vs the trip computer reading. I'll bet the figures match........
Lawrence

Old 10-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 44lawrence
When someone buys a 12cyl anything the last question to be concerned about is gas mileage. Its like buying a Hummer & worrying about MPG. The trip computer in the xjs has more than 20 year old technology, (older than Apple 2GS) If you want to check your MPG/MPL try speedometer reading miles into gallons used (you don't have to be a math major) vs the trip computer reading. I'll bet the figures match........
Lawrence
But, gas mileage is not the only thing the TC displays.

So, then, what were Jaguar design engineers thinking by giving the '95 V12 owners that useless device instead of a ...clock, hmm.

But, worse yet, why did Jaguar repeat the same blunder again with the XJR? They put a trip computer on the XJR already knowing that the car's potential owners couldn't care less about gas mileage simply because, by being a supercharged engine, it makes it the highest fuel consuming engine of the range.

MPG/MPL, why go the longer route doing calculations (Is that while you're driving?) when the TC has it already figured out for you, right in front... and it so much looks the part.

Cheers,

Old 10-14-2015, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

I think the guy wanted TC replacement options NOT ( I could be wrong) sold on how great the TC is.

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (10-15-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

OOOPS my fault. I first said l like it.....sorry

Old 10-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

I was more concerned with the top left button...

FUEL USED.... as I do not like to run out....

Old 10-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I think the guy wanted TC replacement options NOT ( I could be wrong) sold on how great the TC is.
any thing that fits the void...

if you want you can go to banggood and find a display that fits the size and a they have touch screens and full HD color and you can progam a little computer to do anything and everything.... and display it there...

Quick Reply: XJS Trip computer replacement options