XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Wood Steering Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XJS Wood Steering Wheels

Hey All,

I have just purchased a 1994 XJS Convertible. It is is fantastic shape, but it’s missing something pretty key... a wood steering wheel. Now I’ve done some research and looked at previous posts, but a lot seems out of date now. This is what I have so far:

I’m looking for the lighter colored Carpathian Elm Burl (I believe this is the name of the dash colour) of the “airbag” type.

So far I’ve got Myrtleltd who will make me this in the airbag type if I want, it seems like a good match and a quality steering wheel, but I’d like a more recent review if anyone has received one. Their info is as follows:

https://www.myrtleltd.com/product/ja...el-non-airbag/

The next option was British autowood, They were kind enough to get back to me quickly, however it turns out they only refinish later model wheels. Their info is as follows:

http://britishautowood.com/

Is there anyone who knows any other companies in Canada or the US preferably who makes wood steering wheels for XJS’s? I’m also open to reliable Overseas companies. I’ve heard of one company that modifies your existing steering wheel, but I can’t find them.

Cheers in advance!

Old 09-03-2019, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Josh,

It's all about personal taste, but are not considering the factory wood and leather wheel as fitted to the Celebration models. I do think that looks better than an after-market all-wood wheel but that's just my opinion. I'm sure you could pick one up from a Jag breakers or ebay etc.

Good luck

Paul

Old 09-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Josh,

It's all about personal taste, but are not considering the factory wood and leather wheel as fitted to the Celebration models. I do think that looks better than an after-market all-wood wheel but that's just my opinion. I'm sure you could pick one up from a Jag breakers or ebay etc.

Good luck

Paul
Hey Paul,

I do like the celebration steering wheel, but I have looked everywhere and have been unsuccessful in finding one. Ebay is mostly antiquated wheels and I haven’t come across any Jaguar parts or wreckers that have one in stock.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I have been wanting the Myrtle wheel for a long time. I put it in the cart and don’t ever go further because I have other more critical items and also because I never hear of any recent reviews. Only poor reviews in the archives here, not of the wheel itself, but of Myrtle service after they get your money......... Unless you “know” that the Myrtle wheel is not OEM, it looks 100 percent original and like it belongs on the car IMO.....people parting cars want nearly 400 dollars for a used OEM 1/2 wood 1/2 leather one, and to me, at that point, it seems like you might as well put another 160 in and get a brand new product.

Actually, people parting cars seem to be charging more for XJS parts than for E type parts. As a matter of fact I have often found brand new OEM parts shipped to me cheaper thru JCP than people parting cars. But I digress.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
I have been wanting the Myrtle wheel for a long time. I put it in the cart and don’t ever go further because I have other more critical items and also because I never hear of any recent reviews. Only poor reviews in the archives here, not of the wheel itself, but of Myrtle service after they get your money......... Unless you “know” that the Myrtle wheel is not OEM, it looks 100 percent original and like it belongs on the car IMO.....people parting cars want nearly 400 dollars for a used OEM 1/2 wood 1/2 leather one, and to me, at that point, it seems like you might as well put another 160 in and get a brand new product.

Actually, people parting cars seem to be charging more for XJS parts than for E type parts. As a matter of fact I have often found brand new OEM parts shipped to me cheaper thru JCP than people parting cars. But I digress.
I tend to agree with you based on the availability of OEM celebration steering wheels. I have been in touch with Myrtle. They were relatively quick to respond to my email. They can do an Elm steering wheel of the airbag type. Somewhere along the way, I heard that a US airbag and a UK airbag are different, so I’m trying to get them to answer that question before I order. I’d hate to spend the money only to find the airbag doesn’t fit!!!

Old 09-06-2019, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Josh,

The airbags are absolutely different! And importantly so are the wheels! Do NOT buy a UK wheel unless you can get a UK airbag and (even harder) the splined adaptor collet that sits on top of the steering column, that is necessary to mount the wheel.

It is technically possible to drill the UK wheel to get a US airbag to fit and vice versa) You only have to drill it in one place if you know how to do it. And if you do buy one, by a weird coincidence, I have a spare UK adaptor collet, but I really need to swap that collet for a US one. I have a US Wood and leather wheel, and a US airbag(!) but have been waiting to get off my backside for 8 years to try and find the $5 US adaptor collet which I guess I'll need to try and find from a US breakers if I can't swap my UK collet.

Cheers

Paul

Old 09-06-2019, 06:35 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I was in the market for a wood wheel. I checked Myrtle out, and I could be wrong, but are their wheels not really wood? More of a printout/production.

I believe, and again, I could be wrong, they simply printout the wood look, adhere it to a wheel and clearcoat it.

That's what ended my interest in their wheels.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
I was in the market for a wood wheel. I checked Myrtle out, and I could be wrong, but are their wheels not really wood? More of a printout/production.

I believe, and again, I could be wrong, they simply printout the wood look, adhere it to a wheel and clearcoat it.

That's what ended my interest in their wheels.
I can’t imagine they are selling 600 wheels that are not real wood....but i guess they could be. I am curious now

Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

I had an e type back in the day and a guy drove into me, the wood split apart
With me and the impact holding the wheel, I have big scar still were splinters entered
My arm and wrist. So no more wood to hold for me.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:15 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-wheel-105796/

I think this is where I assumed they don't actually use wood

Old 09-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-wheel-105796/

I think this is where I assumed they don't actually use wood
That is wild if that is the case. Nearly 600 bucks for a wheel that’s plastic

Old 09-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
That is wild if that is the case. Nearly 600 bucks for a wheel that’s plastic
It sounds like there’s two price points. The “simulated” wood steering wheel seems to be sold at a lower price.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:02 PM

So I have been researching this for a while. I tend to be very thorough before I make purchases. Myrtle has told me they send a wheel specific to US Spec airbags. That means I can use my OEM airbag, Jaguar emblemmed airbag cover and it will have all the correct fittings. It seems their customer responses have gotten better.

Whether it is wood or not, I’m not sure... the majority of the wood in an XJS is veneer anyhow, so if the quality is good, I’m not overly concerned. The rather beaten leather black steering wheel isn’t doing a ton for interior styling as it is.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

I have had the myrtle wheel for a good few years now. From what I see its a painted walnut effect covered with an acrylic coating of some sort. Although its never real ly left outside in the Florida sun, the acrylic (?) coating has split in a fine lines round the wheel. It still looks ok from a few inches away but is it worth the price......hmmmm

Old 09-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Josh Knight
So I have been researching this for a while. I tend to be very thorough before I make purchases. Myrtle has told me they send a wheel specific to US Spec airbags. That means I can use my OEM airbag, Jaguar emblemmed airbag cover and it will have all the correct fittings. It seems their customer responses have gotten better.

Whether it is wood or not, I’m not sure... the majority of the wood in an XJS is veneer anyhow, so if the quality is good, I’m not overly concerned. The rather beaten leather black steering wheel isn’t doing a ton for interior styling as it is.
Did you ever find out if the steering wheel is wood or not? Or at least veneered?