XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS from XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the console lid and drivers side arm rest from a 1994 XJ8 fit a 1994 XJS 2+2? Thanks

Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by YycXJS
Will the console lid and drivers side arm rest from a 1994 XJ8 fit a 1994 XJS 2+2? Thanks
What is a '94 XJ8?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:57 AM

The local wreckers is listing a 1994 Jaguar XJ8 in their inventory, but they charge money to get into their compound. I am wondering if these parts are interchangeable before I spend the money to have a look.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by YycXJS
The local wreckers is listing a 1994 Jaguar XJ8 in their inventory, but they charge money to get into their compound. I am wondering if these parts are interchangeable before I spend the money to have a look.
No such thing as a 1994 XJ8, it will have to be an XJ6 or XJ12

Bu the answer in any case is no, it won't fit

Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info I learned 2 things from this.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Well, another member here has fitted an XJ8 lid with cupholders in his facelift XJS, so it's possible with a little modification. The armrest I have no idea about.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Well, another member here has fitted an XJ8 lid with cupholders in his facelift XJS, so it's possible with a little modification. The armrest I have no idea about.
Well there is a big difference between interchangeable and modified to fit. I just looked at the armrest of my 95 XJ6 (which is near identical to the XJ8) and compared it to my 94 XJS and I can safely say the parts are not interchangeable, not even close. I think you would have to do a lot of modifying to make it fit.

One problem would be the length 14.5" on the XJ6 vs 13" on the XJS. Then also the shape of the front of the lid where it latches to the console is very different. It would be interesting to see how the member did the modification but it looks a lot of work to me. Of course anything can be modified

Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE= It would be interesting to see how the member did the modification but it looks a lot of work to me. Of course anything can be modified [/QUOTE]

@AllanG
C'est moi!

Yes, the X300 lid is longer, so I kind'a split the difference protruding, both, front and rear with the help of the generous, longitudinally slotted holes on the hinge that let you slide it front and back until you're compfy with it. The rear protruding can hardly be seen and in the front I did not work on modifying the latch because I needed a good, strong security lock, as the '94 XJS has no locking storage other than the trunk, so I can walk away from the car leaving the top down instead of moving valuables to the trunk every time. It has a large metal striker that operates in that square hole that you see in the picture and you'd need to destroy it open to force entry. Otherwise, it closes just by gravity or with my right arm always on top of it.

The new lid ends in the front at a 45 deg angle (pic from the right), which is perfect to access (with my fingers) the controls I have under the front lip of the lid (currently five items there); the knob is subwoofer control. That pic is from back, when I had moved the trip computer to the ski slope...

Notice how I increased the box's storage volume to fit more valuables in it. Makes a big difference.

Warning: As I have mentioned on another post here, unless you own an X300 or X308, you are not aware of how poorly designed the dual cup holder is on these cars; just too shallow and cups fly away whenever you have to stop a little harder than average, same with turning. On my XJR I keep my right hand on the cup until is empty; getting out of the car, opening the right door and going fishing to the end of the passenger foot well, plus finding lots of paper towels to soak the mess GETS OLD. At least on my XJS I have that nice $49.95 single holder that holds cups very firmly, plus how perfect can the color match be?

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails XJS from XJ8-dsc00083.jpg   XJS from XJ8-cimg2320-reduced.jpg   XJS from XJ8-dsc00082.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

OK, one of the pics disappeared, so here it goes again.
Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails XJS from XJ8-dsc00070.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Wow Reinaldo there's a lot of modifications going on on your center console!!

Question though, why do you have two trip computers? Also what did you do with your convertible top switch?

Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllanG
Wow Reinaldo there's a lot of modifications going on on your center console!!

Question though, why do you have two trip computers? Also what did you do with your convertible top switch?
Allan,
It's only one trip computer that I had previously relocated to the near end of the ski slope to make room for the sound processor control/display, so it would be right above the radio. I have concluded that the trip computer can, or better should, go back to its original location without losing sight or control of the sound processor operation, so I just swapped the units.

The '94 XJS has a "vacant" switch right next to the "Hazard switch", left of the steering column. That's where I moved the C.T. switch.

What goes on at the front lip of the center console box (more nowadays than the picture shows):
- The red push button (momentary switch) is the ECU reset (which I need to protect).
- The green mini toggle is the "Accy" switch (separate from the start button).
- The knob is for the subwoofer amp, in the trunk.
- There's a new "test" mini toggle for the start/stop system, just in case it ever fails. The thickness of the wires I had to cut to incorporate my system made me a little overly cautious...

Finally, I still need to negociate the incorporation of the new garage door opener circuitry into the box lid, and the alternate switch added to the front lip. I already had the garage door opener built-in, but a recent neighborhood-wide power surge took the unit out, along with ten more electrical devices, including a 60" flat screen, my two nice receivers, etc, etc. which was the case for the entire block neighborhood. Needless to say, the scare of my life, with lights going from over-bright down to orange low and back up, with popping sounds from behind the walls at 4;30 am. Not sure what a surge protector could do, as my next door neighbor had a surge protector for his office devices on a wooden table with a printer: the surge protector, the printer and the table were all fried in a big overly-toasted slice. The cause was a blown transformer at the end of the block.

Sorry about the non-car bore here...
Back to cars... I do need to do a nice re-design of that front lip minipanel to hold all the switches in a more elegant fashion. Will take pictures and post.

Cheers,