XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJSC ignition coil question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJSC ignition coil question

Hey all,

A few months ago I did a spark plug and dist. cap job on my 87 xjsc. After completion, the car wouldn't start. Took everything apart again to see if a wire broke or something and everything was kosher. Bought a new coil and ignition amp. Haven't tested the amp yet but did try to start the car with the new coil...same result. For my benefit, could someone tell me the ignition coil wiring sequence. I have the white/black wire connected to the negative post and the two white wires running to the positive post. Am i correct in this configuration??

Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Hi LSX, Post your question under the model section here: XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Jamey is right, but here goes from memory, and that is NOT as good as I sometimes think, and mine is 100% rewired so colours are MINE.

The +ve should have 3 wires. 1st will be ign 12v. 2nd will be to the map. 3rd will be to the +ve of the secondary soil out the front.

The -ve should have 2 wires. 1st will go to the amp. 2nd will go to the same -ve of the front coil.

General rule of thumb, even for Jaguar, is any black trace wire is switched to earth, so I reckon you are OK with what you have.

I am assuming it ran before you fiddled, so keep on that THIN line, what did I fiddle with that has caused this issue, as appossed to just throwing "junk" at it.

Turn ON the ign, and ensure that you have battery voltage at the +ve post of the coil, if so, something else is hissy.

If you only got one coil, some do, then the 2 wires I mentioned above going to the "front coil" will not exist.

Make sure that the carbon brush inside the cap is IN place, as I have had them drop out, not common by any means, but it wont start without one.

If you are still in the dark, lets know, I will dig out my factory wiring diagrams and post the colours here for you.

The following users liked this post:
LSX fan (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:13 PM

thanks grant! yes the secondary coil on this car was deleted and it did run before my tinkering, albeit not very well. that is what prompted me to do the job. as of right now i have the black trace wire from the ignition amp running to the -post and the white wire from the ignition amp running to the +post. the other wire which i assume is the 12v wire running to the - post. further suggestions are welcome.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:31 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX fan
thanks grant! yes the secondary coil on this car was deleted and it did run before my tinkering, albeit not very well. that is what prompted me to do the job. as of right now i have the black trace wire from the ignition amp running to the -post and the white wire from the ignition amp running to the +post. the other wire which i assume is the 12v wire running to the - post. further suggestions are welcome.
OK, not sure if that is a "typo" when you say "the other......... running to the - post". That wire should go to the +ve terminal.

You are going to need to have a digital volt meter (DVM) to further test this thing.

Unplug the "odd" wire from the coil, by that I mean the one that does NOT go to the amp, plug the red wire of the DVM into it, and earth the black lead, set the DVM on 20v DC or whatever its got at or above 12V, and turn ON the ignition, and ensure you have battery volts in that wire. If so, connect it to the +ve terminal of the coil, which is where it should be.

Lets know what happens.

If that is NOT a typo, still ensure you got battery voltage to the +ve terminal of the coil with the ign ON.

After that we will further diagnose many bits of the system, one at a time.

The ignition amps are generally OK, and unless it was removed to do what you did, I doubt it has just gone "legs up", I may be wrong of course.

The following users liked this post:
LSX fan (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:53 AM

grant, you were correct in reading the typo...i will report back after i get my hands on a dvm.