XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

$$ - Estimates

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default $$ - Estimates

Having a few things done, checking on reasonableness of these quotes - I'm in the Detroit area.

Trans pan/gasket/alum bolts remove and replace - $660 (indie mechanic - dealer $800+).

Parking lot dings and misc dents - repair and respray rear 1/4: $350, repair dent and respray hood: $500.

General update - purchased this XKR with 27K miles a few weeks ago, it's my daily driver till August - CTEK working great. Have not installed windscreen or remote top/back window kit yet. It's been raining in Detroit for about a month straight (seemingly) so no rush....

Enjoying the forum and the car - it is fantastic. I'm getting a lot of exercise from remote parking spots now.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Default Forgot fob...

Also - at dealer, second fob quote: $180 for key, $124 for programming (said it takes one hour). Sound reasonable? MKMc

Old 05-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by mkmccoy
Having a few things done, checking on reasonableness of these quotes - I'm in the Detroit area.

Trans pan/gasket/alum bolts remove and replace - $660 (indie mechanic - dealer $800+).

Parking lot dings and misc dents - repair and respray rear 1/4: $350, repair dent and respray hood: $500.

General update - purchased this XKR with 27K miles a few weeks ago, it's my daily driver till August - CTEK working great. Have not installed windscreen or remote top/back window kit yet. It's been raining in Detroit for about a month straight (seemingly) so no rush....

Enjoying the forum and the car - it is fantastic. I'm getting a lot of exercise from remote parking spots now.
Hey there. Is your trans pan or mechatronic sleeve leaking? If not, are you having transmission problems? I ask because The ZF recommendation for fluid change is 80,000 miles and you're nowhere near that.
There is little magical about changing the trans pan, it's the refill that's a #$%*). If they are both quoting the standard drain and refill using ZF lifeguard fluid, the prices for both are typical.

I have no valuable input on the body work.

The additional FOB seems in line

Old 05-02-2017, 12:34 PM

Sean - thank you for the feedback - at the pre purchase inspection, there was noted a small leak from the 'trans pan gasket' (I believe I'm recalling that correctly). It's not hitting the floor that I can tell. My understanding is the pan, gasket and aluminum bolts all get replaced for $660.

I don't think I'm having and trans issues - there is vibration/semi-grinding noise when going between Park and Drive - hope that's 'normal'....

Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Sean - thank you for the feedback - at the pre purchase inspection, there was noted a small leak from the 'trans pan gasket' (I believe I'm recalling that correctly). It's not hitting the floor that I can tell. My understanding is the pan, gasket and aluminum bolts all get replaced for $660.

I don't think I'm having and trans issues - there is vibration/semi-grinding noise when going between Park and Drive - hope that's 'normal'....
OK so it's a leak. Yes you are correct, the filter is incorporated in the pan so they are treated as one unit and the bolts are replaced. In addition, the transmission has to be refilled to spec with fluid. This results in a "partial transmission fluid change as they are only replacing the fluid in the pan. This is a normal procedure. The fluid is very expensive @ around $20 liter and you will use between 5 -7 liters.

If you bought the kit online, you'll pay about $350 for it. Add standard markup and labor and $660 is comparable to most indy shops from what I've read by others on the forum. $800 is a bit much but dealers have higher overhead. Just the nature of their beast.

For grins, get a quote from a local Hyundai dealer. They have a few models that use the exact same tranny/ fluid. They may have a decent price.

Have you ever known vibration/ grinding noise to be normal? I'd address the leak first. You could be low on fluid and that could be impacting your shift out of Park.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I have done the pan change on two Jags including XK for around $500

Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

The pan is plastic and mine was leaking at 20K miles.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

I also did the pan and changed the plastic to aluminum

Old 05-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

regarding dents/door dings - I've had excellent results using "paintless dent removal". I've used them on a few cars and have been amazed with the results and pricing was great! Two cars, many panels, ran me $200 total. I have a VERY discerning eye and couldn't see any spots where they worked on it. If a shop is going to repaint I would HIGHLY doubt those estimates you got will result in anything that resembles decent work... as I recently had a quality shop quote me $1200 just to repaint a minor scratch on a fender you'll either pay to get it done right or you'll get work that is obviously been hacked.

@27K miles you definitely shouldn't be needing a tranny pan change, get a second opinion or see for yourself after cleaning the area well.

Key fob - if that price is from the dealer that is VERY reasonable as keys usually run @ >$300, labor quote is ballpark.

Bought mine in Detroit drove it back here to San Diego... how the hell can anyone drive those roads there?!?!?! Unreal how terrible they were with potholes and such. Not a good place for anything remotely exotic there especially with any low profile tires/wheels

The following users liked this post:
robtroxel (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:30 PM

Leeper - good stuff. I'll have it looked at by Dent Wizard (local mobile paintless dent co recommended by dealer).

This is the second place I've had the trans pan gasket looked at - about $200 less than dealer.

I though key fob number was pretty good as well.

The roads here have been a political football for 20 plus years, with no end in sight. With very few exceptions, they are horrendous. I actually use routes that I know are in good shape to avoid wheel damage and flats. Ive been doing that well before I started running around on these 20s/Sentas. I'm just hoping to get out of here unscathed before I move to Missouri in August.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Banned

Check out Yelp reviews on various PDR places, I found one here in San Diego with glowing reviews and I have nothing but praise for their work. Saved their card and would definitely use them again in a heartbeat. Lastly when you call be sure to specify that you need work done on an aluminum body car as some don't have that experience.
YMMV

Had Senta's on my car, truth be told had I known about the condition of Detroit's roads I would have quickly reconsidered buying anything from the area... anything short of a lifted 4X would suck there. Chalk the road conditions up to poiticians and unions greed at the usual expense of progress and efficiency. It was a good test of acceleration to see how fast I could leave that town... I stayed in a very expensive highrise condo in the heart of downtown offered to me by the car's owner surrounded by nasty. That whole city needs an enima

Old 05-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Leeper, can you PM the PDR info you have here in San Diego? I have need of a decent PDR person. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

Just shot that to you via PM - Dent Time here in SD. Ask to have Myke come out if possible, as with anything service is as good as the person doing it and Myke surpassed my expectations and worked on both my cars (one being aluminum bodied). He quoted over the internet via sending pics, his actual charge was less than he quoted.

Also for excellent maintenance, should you ever need any, I highly recommend "Coventry", they're an indi place specializing in Jags right at the 5 in PB. They were good.

The following users liked this post:
Bill51sdr (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks & I got your PM.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Op here - Trans pan, gasket and bolts removed and replaced - $620 at indie. I took a look and it was leaking - needed to be done.

Also checked out another collision shop in Royal Oak (B & B) which has been there many years and has a lot of stellar recommendations. They do PDR and he says he can go over the whole car (dings/dents/scratches) for about $500. I'm going to drop it there Friday before heading out of town for 5 days.

The sun came out today - 60 degrees - first drive with top down. Fantastic.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Also checked out another collision shop in Royal Oak (B & B) which has been there many years and has a lot of stellar recommendations. They do PDR and he says he can go over the whole car (dings/dents/scratches) for about $500. I'm going to drop it there Friday before heading out of town for 5 days.
That's a great price for the whole car. You'll be amazed how straight they get the car. Had it done on a few cars.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Little Help Please.....

Has Anyone recently changed an antenna on a XK with a New antenna from Jag?

Purchased a 2007 Jaguar.....Antenna just popped out of the mast and dragged the ground for some time before a considerate driver signaled me that there was some attention needed to the rear of my car....LOL. The antenna mast is easy enough to replace. you can get one on ebay for less then $20.00 Do not pull the whole antenna mast Assy. from the car, as I did....it's not necessary to replace the mast....My problem now is that.... there was NO antenna retaining nut screwed onto the top of the antenna mast to begin with......and you can't buy one. Has anyone purchased a full antenna mast from Jaguar or aftermarket.....if so you will have an extra antenna Mast retaining nut I would be happy to purchase from you.....or does anyone know of a place where one can be purchased ....Thank You