Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07-09 XKR Dynamic Mode Engaged

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I had to plug the fuse back in today. The ride quality was too sucky for everyday use. Now the drive is pretty floaty and mushier, though.
Just an FYI, from the 4.2L workshop manual:

The ADCM uses a combination of information from other system modules and data from the acceleration sensors to measure the vehicle motion and driver inputs. Using this information, the ADCM applies algorithms to control the dampers for the current driving conditions.

The ADCM receives signals on the high speed Controller Area Network (CAN) bus from the following system components:

• Vehicle speed - Anti-lock Brake system (ABS) module
• Brake switch status - Engine Control Module (ECM)
• Brake pressure - ABS module
• Gear position - Transmission Control Module (TCM)
• Lateral acceleration - ABS module
• Throttle pedal position - ECM
• Power mode - CJB via instrument cluster gateway
• Steering wheel angle - Steering angle sensor via ABS module
• Steering wheel speed - Steering angle sensor via ABS module
• Engine speed - ECM
• Engine running status - ECM
• Car Configuration File (CCF) Data - Auxiliary junction box via instrument cluster gateway
• Master configuration identification - Auxiliary junction box via instrument cluster gateway
• Vehicle information parameters - Auxiliary junction box via instrument cluster gateway.

The ADCM monitors the input signals and operates the damper solenoids. The input signals are compared against algorithms with the ADCM and preset speed thresholds.

The vehicle speed signal is the main input for the ADCM. The ADCM contains upper and lower speed thresholds at which the dampers are set to the firm setting. The gear position signal is also used to determine longitudinal detection and, along with the speed signal, is compared against algorithms to select the appropriate damper setting.

The firm setting has a higher priority than the soft setting. This is because the firm setting provides better vehicle control in any driving condition. The dampers are set to firm when driving at high speed or if a system fault is detected.

When the vehicle is stationary with the engine running, the dampers are set to the soft setting.
So, it appears that (for the on/off 4.2L CATS dampers) the primary factor is speed. The 5.0L system, with continuously variable dampers, has more inputs and more sophisticated logic.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was having a similar issue: Soft-floaty, suspension. Read my most recent post below:
I hope this helps.
Richard.

So, I finally got my suspension dialed back in. I'll chalk this one up to "divine intervention" or the "universe looked graciously upon me". I had a floaty suspension after a front strut replacement. Then, I had the ADCM unplugged and drove like that for a few days but the ride was way too harsh for my taste. Then, I had the ADCM reconnected and was promptly right back to my floaty drive. Then, I decided to turn off the Dynamic Stability Control and something magical happened: The car became much more responsive and the suspension stiffened. I did this exercise a few times, and here's the magical part: My suspension calibrated itself and somehow dialed itself back to my original setting! I guess putting the suspension through the exercise of DSC off, then resetting, then off again,etc. it finally found its just place. Leave it to British technology. What would we do with out it!!

Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 07JagXKR
My suspension calibrated itself and somehow dialed itself back to my original setting! I guess putting the suspension through the exercise of DSC off, then resetting, then off again,etc. it finally found its just place.
Damn, I wondered if that might be the case, but there was no mention in the workshop manual of any 'learning' so I decided I must be wrong. Yes, makes perfect sense - the default setting is 'supersoft', then the ADCM recalibrates itself based on how you drive. When you switch DSC off, you must be a hooligan, so the ADCM stiffens things up.

That's going to be a bit of a pain for those installing a switch to disable the ADCM - they're going to have to do DSC off/on cycles to get 'normal' suspension performance. Did you need to drive the car with DSC off to get the recalibration, or does just switching it off & on do the trick?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I plugged my ADCM fuse back in and the suspension immediately returned to normal. I don't understand why there would be a problem with the switch.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default DSC Off one touch or 10 sec press

Hi 07JagXKR,

Are you one pressing the DSC or doing the full 10 second press to fully turn it off?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I plugged my ADCM fuse back in and the suspension immediately returned to normal. I don't understand why there would be a problem with the switch.
A couple of people have reported that the car felt soft & wallowy after reinserting the fuse - i.e. softer than it had felt prior to removing the fuse, I assume. When 07JagXKR reported that his car reverted to its normal feel after switching DSC off/on, I had to take him at his word that the car felt different after just replacing the fuse, and normal again (i.e. not soft, but not as hard as with ADCM off) after doing the DSC toggle.

If the DSC thing does make a difference, then just switching the ADCM off & on won't restore the car to normal operation. It's not a "problem", but you'd have to do the DSC toggle as well.

Fortunately I'm not in a position to test it myself, since my car has the later continuously variable dampers and the Dynamic Mode switch.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't installed a switch yet but after removing the fuse and re-inserting it a couple times, my car felt completely "normal" after. No need to reset anything with DSC on/off. Very easy to install a switch btw. Two wires going into the car fuse holes attached to an independant fuse box attached to an on/off switch. Voila.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

When I said my suspension went mushy after I plugged the fuse back in, I meant back to how mushy it was before I had removed it. The stock setting is pretty mushy.

I bought some 16 gauge primary wire, a rocker switch and an inline fuse holder. Hopefully I can make something work!

Amazon.com: WirthCo 30103 Tapa Circuit for ATM Mini Fuse Blocks: Automotive Amazon.com: WirthCo 30103 Tapa Circuit for ATM Mini Fuse Blocks: Automotive

I'll probably buy this for a more permanent solution.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 09-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 AM

I drove the car with with the DSC off a few times. In my case, every time I swithched off the DSC, and drove it, it incrementally resetted to a stiffer, more rigid ride. I probably did this excersise about 4 or 5 times, which did the trick. Now, I'm fascinated by the perfect blend of grip and the lack of body roll while still being a comfortable ride. My car is back to awesome!
Best of luck to you!
Richard.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Hi Mike,

I literally shut the DSC off by pressing and holding the button down for around 10 seconds, When you do that, you get a chime and a light on the dash warning that the DSC is off. Then, my car hunkered down just a bit, the suspension felt more responsive and rigid, the engine reved higher, the shifts were quicker, and throtle more sensitive. It's Awesome!
Regards,
Richard.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if there is some sort of malfunction with your car that is causing it to do that. Is that supposed to happen?

Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Received 95 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you know if theres a way to do this with the 5.0? I unplugged my ADCM but I get an E Diff fault
(For reference, I'm removing my CATS suspension)

Old 07-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

The e-diff talks to the ADCM. From the workshop manual:

The DLM (differential locking module) operates the motor of the electronic differential under the control of the ADCM (adaptive damping control module)
If the e-diff doesn't see the ADCM, it complains.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
The e-diff talks to the ADCM. From the workshop manual:

If the e-diff doesn't see the ADCM, it complains.
Yeah I thought as much

So is there no option for me? I've tried so many options!

Old 07-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know - it's possible you can leave the ADCM active and 'fool' it by messing with the damper connections. I expect the ADCM will yell if it doesn't see any dampers at all, but perhaps connecting a resistor across the connector will keep it happy.

I know people in the US have replaced their stock shocks & brings with aftermarket coilovers, but the ones I can find on the Jag forums seem to be 4.2 cars or use systems that have been created for the 5.0 and have ADCM connections (e.g. Spires).

Old 07-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I don't know - it's possible you can leave the ADCM active and 'fool' it by messing with the damper connections. I expect the ADCM will yell if it doesn't see any dampers at all, but perhaps connecting a resistor across the connector will keep it happy.

I know people in the US have replaced their stock shocks & brings with aftermarket coilovers, but the ones I can find on the Jag forums seem to be 4.2 cars or use systems that have been created for the 5.0 and have ADCM connections (e.g. Spires).
I've tried resistors, the shocks read around 2.5-2.6 ohms and I tried a 2.5 resistor and 3.5 (to see if that would do anything) but did nothing. Not sure how the shocks communicate with the ADCM.
I tried looking through the SDD but you need to be online to configure the ADCM. Literally out of choices now!

Old 07-11-2019, 02:25 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
Hey, that's awesome! Looks like my thought process took the long way a round and you got the best solution djgold.

I saw someone mount a switch for something else in the middle of the cup holders where they form a V. Could be the ideal location for the "07-09 dynamic switch".
I saw someone put a switch in the cigarette lighter recess. Thanks for posting.