XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

'07 XK convert front-end bounce?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 XK convert front-end bounce?

Quick background... I'm in the process of trading a 2000 CLK430 cab for an XK. Was close to buying a loaded 09 with a clean carfax, etc. -- until I had it checked out by a local shop (that found 2 cracked headlight mounts, faulty ECM, bent front quarter, new rear axle shaft, new drive shaft and new rear differential). Nice, huh?

Anyway... now looking at a nice '07 (different dealer). During test drive on highway, it felt a bit like a SEMA trick car as front end bounced noticeably between 55 and 75 mph. Made the service mgr take it out on same stretch of road (who of course said 'car is fine... it's a sporty suspension'). I'll leave that stupid comment alone for now, but... in looking thru many threads here, I couldn't find any mention of front suspension or similar issues on '07+ xk's.

I'll probably have this one checked out by the local shop too, but just wondering if anyone has experienced or heard of a similar issues? Thx in advance for sharing any thoughts or ideas.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No, our cars do not inherently have a bouncing problem. You are buying a used car, so some are going to be well maintained and others not so much. It is very likely that you are looking at a car that needs it struts replaced. From the sounds of it, you have a sleazy sales person.

Good luck on your search moving forward. If your experience is anything like mine, You will get excited about driving the car every time you walk up to it.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SPiDi
No, our cars do not inherently have a bouncing problem. You are buying a used car, so some are going to be well maintained and others not so much. It is very likely that you are looking at a car that needs it struts replaced. From the sounds of it, you have a sleazy sales person.

Good luck on your search moving forward. If your experience is anything like mine, You will get excited about driving the car every time you walk up to it.
Thanks for the thoughts. Not sure re: struts given no noise and no 'bounce' at lower speeds and over speed bumps (at least during test drives) -- but like you, very excited by the prospect of calling this triple black xk mine. Hope it all checks out in the end...

Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

It is very difficult to say anything until you describe the "bounce" with more details. To me "bounce" implies an uncontrolled up-down movement of significant suspension travel. Such would indeed be the sign of bad struts.

If, however, the "bounce" is more of a vibration characterized by no significant vertical movement, that would open up more suggestions. (tire balance, tire pressures too high, etc).

Some road surfaces also cause a sense of "bounce" simply by their worn out textures and repetitive dips. Does the car "bounce" on all surfaces where other cars do not?

The XK actually has a decent ride but, will feel stiff and choppy over less-then-perfect road surfaces simply because of its 19 or 20" wheels/tires. If you are coming from cars that do not have these low aspect tires, it maybe the effect that you are feeling.

Albert