XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

08 XKR Convertible Top Lock Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 08 XKR Convertible Top Lock Up

OK...I have had this sort of thing go wrong on the previous model (K8) but when the top got confused and then wouldn't do anything I was able to use the hex tool and continue the top down and complete the top deployment and wah lah...everything was OK after that.
Well...the 08 xkr got confused and won't do crap. In all fairnness apparently the rear window cable sounds like it jumped track and I was trying to manually pull it up to get to the dealer when all of this clap trap transpired. When everything stopped working on the top I used a hex key to try and complete the manual closing and lock down the top. I was putting so much torque on the fitting that I am scared that it will break before I extinguish the top open warning light.
Sooo....any suggestions on how to get this feller back operating so I don't have to make an unplanned stop at the dealer? The back window tho an annoyance I was able to raise it by pulling up on it after the cable gave...any help is appreciated...
Guy
PS Oh yeah...I also tried disconnecting the battery to reset everything as well...nuthin...notta...still doesn't work.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well...top problem solved. Out of frustration I went back to the owners manual (imagine that)....anyway the difference between the xk8 and xk are certainly keeping me on my toes. By cycling the top manually (opening the hydraulic valve for manual operation) and then dropping the top with all of the assorted hi jinks of the automatic tonneau and such...the top mysteriously (magically) reset itself. Oh...how you have to love those devils that run amok in the cat...gotta go now...its time for me to go get a warm beer from my Lucas refrigerator...