XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1 Day old XK...coolant leaks Argh.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 PM
Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
Default 1 Day old XK...coolant leaks Argh.

Not off to a great start.

Wife picked up her 2013 CPO XK touring on Sunday from a Jag dealer with a 1 star rating for service online hahaha. Coolant light came on for the drive home. I told her to wait until morning and fill up to the bottom of the filler neck with distilled water, call the Jag dealer and let them pick it up from work.

Got it back yesterday still stinking of coolant (I understand that a coolant leak can still stink for a day or two after being fixed), here are the highlights from the dealer:
AJ89664 PIPE- OUTLET
C2P12405 HOSE
263105 ELBOW (cant find the part number for this...must be an internal code for work performed which kinda scares me) COOLANT OUTLET - CYLINDER BLOCK RENEW.

Its the 'Renew' part on the Cylinder block that makes me curious.....did they strip something? Frozen bolt that had to be drilled out? Aliens? Definitely Aliens!

"Vacuum bled cooling system and pressure tested, road test and burped system, topped off as needed."

This is rich, as the dealer missed the fact that the windshield washer tank was bone dry on their 163 point CPO inspection....and leaking coolant somewhere, but I digress.

She goes to work (10 miles) and the coolant light comes back during the drive home. Yup...still stinks of coolant outside and the Reservoir is about 30% full.

Sorry to vent. I replaced EVERY component on her old Vanden Plas including the 'Octopus' hose between the firewall and engine block.

I got some beer and a headlight......gonna try to find the leak before dropping it off at another Jag dealer in the AM.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.....but I have Chimay so make those suggestions snappy cuz my quality of work only goes down form here.

Christian

Old 06-29-2016, 10:23 PM

Deflated (me). There is a nice pool of Orange on the engine undertray under the radiator with some spatter. Thats telling me radiator, line in or out ro possibly water pump due to the spattering. But definitely in the front portion of the engine.

I went over the engine compartment and made a little checklist of stuff thats missing (grommets etc). Gonna drive it to another dealer in the AM.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I would not try to make any repairs yourself. The car is CPO under warranty....let the Jag dealer do the work.

Keep accurate records of repairs or see if the state or dealer you bought from has a return policy. Most states that the car can be returned within 3 days of the purchase. I am assuming you bought the car in California.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/c...r_rights.shtml

This is all bad omens and may lead to other problems. With a return policy, act quickly, take it back get your money and find another XK. There are plenty available on the market, just be patient.

Why screw around with a car that has trouble from day one.

Last edited by richzak; 06-29-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Christian,

The dealer should have replaced the water pump, as it is a well-known defect on the 5.0L engines. I'd take it to another dealer, since CPO Jaguars can be serviced by any Jaguar dealer. You're in L.A., and I'm sure there's more than 1 dealer in the metro area.

See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-pump-120768/

Stuart

P.S. Be sure to take a couple of gallons of water with you tomorrow when you go to the other dealer, just in case your car overheats en route. Don't open the radiator cap - you will get scalded; be safe and add water only through the overflow tank. Better than that, if it does overheat, stop immediately and call the closest Jaguar dealer to pick it up and give you a loaner car. You don't want to damage the engine.

Last edited by Stuart S; 06-29-2016 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 PM

Thanks guys. Topped it off with distilled water and drove it to Galpin Jag. Went over the defects with the service advisor told him my theory (waterpump due to splattering/location) he agreed and wrote it up correctly. I trust these guys as they did all the warranty work on her VDP. They are also going to go over it again to find and correct the things Horburg missed.

As far as returning it.....stuff happens especially at a lazy dealership. Its a clean car, original paint, CPO in the Exact configuration she wanted so Ill let Galpin fix it.

FWIW it has 30k on it as of now. Just read the water pump thread, thanks Stuart. They gave me a ride home as they dont do loaners if you didnt buy the car there. Fine, we have other cars to drive.

Last edited by lear60man; 06-30-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Our cars definitely do not do well once the low coolant light comes on. This light, as I have learned from others, does not differentiate between low coolant and no coolant which means when it comes on the car may already be overheating. Same problem happened to a friend of mine recently and his car is currently at the dealership getting the head gaskets replaced. It doesn't take much to hurt this engine. Be certain that your car has been repaired correctly. I too agree with the above comments and would immediately be attempting to return the car to the dealership. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by lear60man
They are also going to go over it again to find and correct the things Horburg missed.
The Hornburg service center on Olympic Blvd is the worst.

However, the guys who work the parts counter are cool. They cut a new key blade for me once for FREE. I couldn't believe it.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:32 PM

Car will be ready tomorrow. If I understood the Service Advisor correctly, one of the hoses that was replaced Monday was due internal disintegration. The FOD from the old hose then killed the water pump. The Mech from Horberg didnt flush the system.

No biggie. By the way, he said that the XK's are some of the most reliable cars in the Jag lineup.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by lear60man
Car will be ready tomorrow. If I understood the Service Advisor correctly, one of the hoses that was replaced Monday was due internal disintegration. The FOD from the old hose then killed the water pump. The Mech from Horberg didnt flush the system.

No biggie. By the way, he said that the XK's are some of the most reliable cars in the Jag lineup.

Check your invoice and verify that your dealer installed the latest model water pump, which I believe is part # C2Z31587.

From the XJ Forum - see my 3/4/2016 post #61 on page 4: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...placed-132537/ The same water pump is used in all 5.0L JLR engines, including the XF, XJ, XK/XKR, and Land Rover. This thread includes the history of the various water pumps, including pictures, listed below.
"I thought it would be helpful to list the water pump part numbers in chronological order, with the newest version last.

C2Z29189 - Installed in my 2013 XJ on 12/4/2014 (so far, so good but I keep my eye on my OBDII/Torque temperature gauge)

C2Z31146 - Installed in johndalheimer's 2011 XJ on 8/11/2015 (embossed with Land Rover logo)

C2Z31587 - Installed in polyesterpig's 2011 XJ on 11/18/2015

If your water pump fails, make sure your dealer installs the latest version."

You may want to read that entire thread.

Stuart

Old 07-02-2016, 01:36 AM

Thanks everyone. I read up on the linked threads and confirmed she got the latest and greatest water pump. Jaguar had a problem with the Reunite program as I drove it in. No biggie, we will pick it up in the AM. I guess it has to come in on a flat bed to go out on one. Given I knew the car had coolant when the warning light off, I was OK with driving it in with a top off. If it was dry, no way Jose.

Galpin Jaguar did a fine job. Brian the Service Advisor knew, that I knew, what was going on and wrote it up appropriately. Thus it was fixed appropriately by a knowledgeable mechanic.....in the same section that does all the Aston Martin products.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:43 AM

Update. What a bitchen car! Everything is normal, nothing to report but rainbows and unicorns. Wife took the Range Rover to haul some crap at her work but forgot I need it to haul some plants from Home Depot.

Needles to say the palms made it safe and sound sticking out of the back of the Jag. Mwhahahah.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

$@#$%#% Water Pumps!!!!