XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 xk airbag caution light

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default 2007 xk airbag caution light

Button to start and the caution light goes out after a second and does not come back on in the driveway even after five minutes or more.

Back out the driveway and turn to enter the street and the airbag caution light comes on in a few seconds.

Drive on the hwy and stop and restart the car. Light goes out on the restart. Drive the car in a straight line for ten to fifteen miles and no airbag caution light. Make a left or right turn of 90* and the light comes back on in a few moments.

Straighten out the car and turn the car off and back on and drive straight for ten or more miles the light again stays off til a sharp turn comes along.

This seems to be related to the clock spring for the airbag. I read about the clock spring on another thread here.

What do you think? Have past experience with this? Been there/done that yourself?

Thank you.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 PM

This airbag caution symbol has decide to not display itself anymore for a while. I was pulling the aerial and TPSM fuses in the back of the cabin earlier and then went for a ride. Gee, for the first time since I bought the car the airbag light stayed off for the half hour drive. The fuses I was pulling/reinstalling have squat to do with the airbag to the best of my knowledge.

Fixes like this usually return in the not too far future. Might have been the extreme heat in Tx today with the car fully closed up. Heat might have swelled some connector up to make a beter contact or the like. Who knows.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Keep us posted.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 AM

Racoons on top of the house woke me up at 4am. So I went for a ride to see if the airbag light was still out. Not. Soon as a right or left turn is made the light comes on after approx 5 seconds. Stop the car on the hwy and turn everything off and start again results in the airbag light going out. So I drive ten miles in a straight line and it stays off all the time. Go turn the car around to head back and the light comes back on after a 5 sec interval after the turn.

So it's steering wheel related and I'm guessing the thing called a Clockspring that's seems to be part of the airbag elect circuit. And I guess I should have ??? someone download any faults but..........it seems to me it's clockspring circuit related.

I plan to ignore it for a while til I learn the car better. And maybe later in the day, after the cars interior gets heat soaked in 104* heat, drive it again to see if the light stays off like it did yesterday after the interior got heat soaked.

Is this light staying on a reason for a inspection sticker rejection? Probably I'm guessing.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Outside air temp at 2:00 pm was 107* and the car was heat soaked. Went for a ride. No airbag caution indicator. Turn left, right whatever and I could not make it come back on. So this problem is heat related in someway. Comes on during cool mornings and stays off when the temp is over 100*F.

Now I see how it passed state inspection if presented during the heat of the day to them. I'll have to check for pending codes in the next couple of days. I'm not sure at this time if my scanner will work on the Jaguar or not.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 PM

The function of the clockspring as described in the manual and shown in the attached jpg.

My airbag light is getting better without doing any maint. on the car. Maybe just needed some driving and wheel turning to make the elect contacts work better?

Attached Thumbnails 2007 xk airbag caution light-clockspring.jpg   2007 xk airbag caution light-tpsmone.jpg  

Last edited by Hailers; 08-11-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hailers
The function of the clockspring as described in the manual and shown in the attached jpg.

My airbag light is getting better without doing any maint. on the car. Maybe just needed some driving and wheel turning to make the elect contacts work better?
I had the same issue. When I was having my bubbled dashboard replaced, I told them about the airbag light error I was getting and the erratic nature of it's occurrence. Clockspring was the culprit.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Bubbled dashboard. EeeeeK! I wonder how many more of those exist out there.

Airbag caution is almost non existent lately. Seems it just needs to be driven more. A 2007 with 54,000 on it.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 XK Airbag Caution

I Had the same problem and ultimately had to have the clockspring replaced

Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailers
Bubbled dashboard. EeeeeK! I wonder how many more of those exist out there...
Hailers,

There are lots of horror stories about shrinking leather dashboards on this forum, mainly from owners in Florida and Texas, due to the intense summer heat. If your dashboard is still OK, I suggest you get a reflective sunshade and use it whenever you park outside. That will keep your dashboard cooler and help keep it from shrinking. You also need to use a good quality leather conditioner every couple of months to keep it from drying out. I prefer the types that are watery and are designed to soak into the leather instead of the cream types that tend to sit on the surface and don't soak in. Don't forget to use it on the rest of the leather, too - door panels, seats, etc.

Stuart