XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 XKR seat belt warning - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 XKR seat belt warning - RESOLVED

Can the seatbelt warning tone and dash indicator be disabled ?
How ?

Last edited by GGG; 09-19-2020 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Add "RESOLVED" to thread title
Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Bad idea, unless it is actually impossible for you or a passenger to use a belt.

However: on North American cars, it can only be done by a dealer. In other markets, there is a user procedure to disable the alarm.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Thanks for the lecture

I'm old enough to make my own decision on when to wear a seat belt -
I don't need the builder to force me with a constant annoying bell.
How do I disable this--THE OWNERS MANUEL won't even specify which fuse its on!

Old 12-21-2013, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Is it not the law where you live? Common sense would be to wear it always.

Anyway, as Ngarara says, the only way to remove the chime is to have it switched by a dealer or indy diagnostic.

The seat belt light on the dash is a legal requirement so it will always be there.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Like most modern cars, the XK's electrical systems are far more complex than traditional cars. There is no single item that controls the seatbelt warning system, so no single fuse to pull.

The belt minder function provides warnings to the driver if the appropriate front safety belts are not fastened when driving. The belt minder function is controlled by the instrument cluster using:
• High speed CAN (controller area network) bus messages, from the RCM (restraints control module) , to monitor the status of the front safety belts.
• An input from the occupant detection system to monitor the status of the front passenger seat.

When the ignition is switched to on, the instrument cluster illuminates the safety belt warning indicator until one of the front safety belts is fastened or the belt minder function is triggered. The belt minder function is triggered when the ignition switch is in accessory/convenience and the following conditions coexist:
• The belt minder function is enabled.
• Vehicle speed is 8 km/h (5 mph) or more.
• The vehicle is not in reverse.
• The driver safety belt or, if the front passenger seat is occupied, the front passenger
safety belt, is unfastened.
So there's an interaction between at least three (& possibly more) small sensor/processor modules, most of which have a host of other functions. For example, if you disabled the RCM, you may kill the chime, but your airbags won't work.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Use these if you must: Seat Belt Control Buckle Clasp Insert Plug Eliminate Stop Alarm Fit Jaguar 2 Pcs | eBay

but for the sake of the next owner (and a potential lawsuit for you) do not modify your car permanently to suppress the alarm. Keep in mind that airbags without associated seat belt usage can be very dangerous. They are meant to be used together. As stated, it is illegal in many juristictions not to wear a belt without a legitimate reason.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-21-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but the way I drive my XKR, I'd fly out of the seat on a typical Sunday drive if I didn't wear my seat belt...

Old 12-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

It is actually quite simple to turn off the chime. I looked in Topix & can't find it but I have a photo copy from one of the owners handbooks. Put the ignition in the on position, make sure you are not sitting in the car but instead on the sill. Then just latch & unlatch the seat belt app 10 times. Repeat the process for passengers seat. I have done this on many different models & it works.

The following users liked this post:
Lister Motorsports (09-18-2020)
Old 12-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

According to the XK 4.2 workshop manual, the procedure only works on non-North American models, which is why I didn't quote it in response to the OP, who is in California. But here it is:

For non NAS [North American Specification] vehicles the belt minder function can be enabled and disabled using the driver safety belt switch. The instrument cluster changes the state of the belt minder function if, within 60 seconds of first entering ignition mode II, the driver safety belt is fastened and unfastened nine times. Successful completion of the change is indicated by a single chime and the safety belt warning indicator flashing five times, at 2 Hz.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

I tried it in my 2010 North American model just for kicks and it didn't work. I don't think, well I hope, nobody's advocating driving without a seat belt, but I spend a fair amount of time in my car, fiddling with the radio, moving it in or out of the garage, etc, and the belt chime is a terrible annoyance. It is habit instilled in me from childhood, not a silly alarm, that keeps me buckling up every time I drive.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I tried it in my 2010 North American model just for kicks and it didn't work. I don't think, well I hope, nobody's advocating driving without a seat belt, but I spend a fair amount of time in my car, fiddling with the radio, moving it in or out of the garage, etc, and the belt chime is a terrible annoyance. It is habit instilled in me from childhood, not a silly alarm, that keeps me buckling up every time I drive.
Make sure key is in on position & you are not sitting in the seat, it does work.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Make sure key is in on position & you are not sitting in the seat, it does work.
This works for American models?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The OP just wants to assert his right to jack up all our insurance rates.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by sktslls
I'm old enough to make my own decision on when to wear a seat belt -
I don't need the builder to force me with a constant annoying bell.
How do I disable this--THE OWNERS MANUEL won't even specify which fuse its on!
This statement makes no sense at all. If a simple bell from an unbuckled seat belt brothers you, I would hate to even imagine what else brothers you as a person.

Think safety, think about your passengers and it is California law that you must use a seat belt.

Your quote "I'm old enough to make my own decision on when to wear a seat belt".

Actually sounds like your a younger teenager with an attitude. But then again, you may be only 15 years of age. Then your exempt under California law.

This list includes only seatbelt laws, which often do not themselves apply to children; however, all 50 states and the District of Columbia have separate child restraint laws. Keep in mind these fines are the base fines only. In many cases considerable extra fees such as the head injury fund and court security fees can mark up the fine to almost 5 times as much in some cases. These are also "first offense" fines; a subsequent offense may be much higher.

Flag of California.svg California Primary Enforcement January 1, 1986 Age 16+ in all seats $20 ($88 actual) $50 second offense ($190 actual)[4] 96.2%

Now, I bet your really pissed off by reading this.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:37 AM

For the record I am also very bothered by the ugly yellow placards they paste all over the sun visors. I have no idea what this says about me as a person. Probably that I have taste and aesthetic sensitivity. I like my environment to be tranquil. Loud colors and sounds diminish my experience.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Hey Muddy.... I think the Euro versions of our visors might be void of those yellow airbag stickers... At least in the Audi world they are!

Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Hey Muddy.... I think the Euro versions of our visors might be void of those yellow airbag stickers... At least in the Audi world they are!
Hmm. Maybe a winter project coming on

JgaXkr: I tried again. Again there is no key, but I put the fob in the dock, pushed the button to start the electronics (you have to have a foot on the brake to start the car), and buckled-unbuckled 10 times while off the seat - no success. I forgot about it until I was on my way home yesterday and stopped at my upper lot to pick up a load of firewood (yes, I did just say that!) and then started coming down my drivewa... DING! DING! DING!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone had luck with this technique.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

It should not work on any North American Specification cars, unless they've somehow ended up with non-NAS firmware. Such things can happen - my car is supposed to be limited to 174 MPH. but it's set to 186 instead. All of this stuff is controlled by the firmware, so any mistake in applying the specific firmware build can change the options available.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 AM

As a follow up, my seatbelt chime no longer dings, so I guess it worked after all!

Today I pulled into my parking garage after a prolonged absence, got out of my car to open the gate, and drove down to my spot—sans seatbelt—in perfect peace.

Thank you!

(But it still dings when I open the door )

Last edited by Muddydog; 03-14-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried this and it did not work for me. Is there a trick Im missing?

Quick Reply: 2007 XKR seat belt warning - RESOLVED