Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2008 XK Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 2008 XK Navigation

This falls under the catagory of "I love my Jaguar, but..."

I live in rural South Carolina. Many of the people I know live on rural (read dirt) roads. Even though these roads are not paved, they do have names and have been in existance for decades.

I have discovered that my Jaguar navigation basically does not work once I drive off the paved surfaces. Instead of getting me to where I need to go, I get the "...turn by turn guidence will not be available" message. (I have the latest 2011 Maps BTW).

It so happens my Garmin NUVI works PERFECTLY in this area. It gets me to any residence on any kind of road in any location. The graphics are better, the interface is MUCH more intuitive and user friendly, it alerts me of accidents and traffic tie ups miles ahead, and the newest version of my unit can be had for $200.00.

This situation is so bad, I find that I do not use the Jaguar Nav unit any longer. I just plug my Garmin into the outlet and away we go...

Hmm, $90,000.00 sports car vs. $200.00 gizmo..and the gizmo wins???

Just not right, not right at all...

Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Also, you would think that Jaguar would have built into their systems the ability to update their systems (ie firmware updates) through the nav system - receive updates through the units signal reception capabilities.

Can the firmware be updated at all in the car for improving things like Navigation and other controls?

Old 04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a recent purchaser of a 2008 XK conv and find for the most part the nav does not speak street names, which also seems odd when the inexpensive portables do speak street names. Has this changed at all in newer versions?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by rscultho
Also, you would think that Jaguar would have built into their systems the ability to update their systems (ie firmware updates) through the nav system - receive updates through the units signal reception capabilities.

Can the firmware be updated at all in the car for improving things like Navigation and other controls?
The software was upgraded when I last updated the maps via the latest nav DVD. The result was (in my opinion) slightly better graphics and the nav unit will speak SOME street names (e.g., "make right on ramp to Interstate 20") However, it still has not spoken the names of any surface streets that I can recall. Instead, I still get the "In 300 yards, turn right".

BTW, how do you like the idea of crawling into the trunk to change out a NAV DVD because the unit will not store east coast and west coast states at the same time? Hell, my coworker has a Honda that stores all the NAV data (and over 8000 tunes) on a replacable internal hard drive, AND has a NAV unit that works more like the Garmin I described earlier.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if that is what is wrong with my nav. I just got a car from out west and Florida/Georgia weren't coming up on the selections. Now I have to see if I have both cd's.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
BTW, how do you like the idea of crawling into the trunk to change out a NAV DVD because the unit will not store east coast and west coast states at the same time? Hell, my coworker has a Honda that stores all the NAV data (and over 8000 tunes) on a replacable internal hard drive, AND has a NAV unit that works more like the Garmin I described earlier.
Yea, this seems strange. I was looking at aftermarket audio units 10 years ago that had hard drive capabilities for music. Sometimes I wonder why Jag does/has done some of the things they do - a hard drive, or SD/memory card or some kind of flash memory would not have been that difficult to include with these NAV units. The technology to accomplish this was cheap even 4 years ago.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
This falls under the catagory of "I love my Jaguar, but..."

I live in rural South Carolina. Many of the people I know live on rural (read dirt) roads. Even though these roads are not paved, they do have names and have been in existance for decades.

I have discovered that my Jaguar navigation basically does not work once I drive off the paved surfaces. Instead of getting me to where I need to go, I get the "...turn by turn guidence will not be available" message. (I have the latest 2011 Maps BTW).

It so happens my Garmin NUVI works PERFECTLY in this area. It gets me to any residence on any kind of road in any location. The graphics are better, the interface is MUCH more intuitive and user friendly, it alerts me of accidents and traffic tie ups miles ahead, and the newest version of my unit can be had for $200.00.

This situation is so bad, I find that I do not use the Jaguar Nav unit any longer. I just plug my Garmin into the outlet and away we go...

Hmm, $90,000.00 sports car vs. $200.00 gizmo..and the gizmo wins???

Just not right, not right at all...
What resolution are you using, I've found on many DVD based Nav systems that smaller side streets don't display until you get to the 1/8 mile setting.

Have you tried that?

Tom

Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 AM
Default 1/16th

I am using the 1/16th setting most of the time. The Navigation screen will sometimes display the smaller streets, but will not guide you there or speak their names. Additionally, if the location you are trying to get to is several "small streets"away, enough to not be observable on the GPS screen from the main road, you will NOT see that street AND the GPS will not guide you there. Instead, you hear the dreaded "Turn by Turn guidance not available" message.

That's when I plug in my $200.00 Garmin that gives me EVERY street name, guides me right to the front door, and damn near rings the bell for me...

Very frustrating...

Old 04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default yes, the Jag navigation is poorly done

I too find that it is far easier to use either my portable Garmin or my Android cell phone navigation. My preference right now is the Android phone (Thunderbolt) with its precise voice command inputs. It can quickly locate any business in any city and navigate to them. Also, they both call out the street names unlike the Jag system.

Also, I dislike the screen complexity of the Jag system, sometimes automatically switching off to displaying a compass, for what ever reason, instead of the street maps. The Jag's navi was trying to convince me a couple of weeks ago to make repeated left-turns on a freeway with a center divider :-). Don't think so...