XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XKR BCM Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 09:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2008 XKR BCM Failure

Hi. As per the title of this thread, the BCM (front) of my 2008 XKR is dead.

A little history on the car - I bought it on auction as a non runner with a seized engine. It transpired that the engine had ingested water for what ever reason and broken 2 conrods. I bought a used replacement engine which I fitted (another saga) and once it was all buttoned up, the engine would not crank. I am a Jaguar/ Land Rover fanatic and have a lot of experience with these cars and have a small workshop that I use to repair/rebuild the cars I buy which I then sell or keep if I like them enough.

I consider myself very experienced in the use of SDD and it was while using SDD the BCM crashed. I was working though possible scenarios that can prevent the engine from cranking and I decided to re-install the BCM as a new unit having already tried to configure it as an existing unit which failed. I use a dedicated diagnostic power supply to make sure the voltages are always optimum and half way through the update everything stopped and the headlights came on. The BCM became unresponsive and the procedure failed. Normally when there is a glitch like this a simple reboot or hard reset puts everything back to square one but in this case that did not work and the BCM remains dead. SDD finds most of the other modules but not the BCM and as a result none of the SDD procedures work for any of the modules - even those recognized by SDD. The BCM has to be online for 90% of the updating procedures to work.

When starting the updates there is always a warning as per the attached image which is exactly what happened in my case although my VIN is not in the described range. However there have been no suggestions from SDD on how to fix this and that is what I am hoping to find - some simple process that will be able to recover the BCM, I use the latest version of SDD and have coded access if necessary. Thanks for reading this long post

Old 08-02-2022, 09:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I have been exploiting SDD quite lot recently. I thought I had bricked my DAB module during programming.
However, you may get back on track using the AsBuilt CCF. I understood that SDD fetches this straight from the factory servers.

Important is to put back all modules in their originally mounted and powered state.

Are the issues permanent or intermittent?

Important is to have voltage support (e.g. above 13V), but you probably are already aware of this.

It can happen that problems are gone by starting a new session of SDD. You can always go back to the earlier session, if needed,

Best of luck!

Last edited by sbolinha; 08-02-2022 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 08-02-2022, 10:07 AM

Unfortunately I am unable to access the configuration section due to the BCM being "offline" but thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:16 AM

I use a power supply specially designed for this type of diagnostic work. It provides a constant 14 volts and up to 100 amps although I never see more than around 35 amps draw.

I have started new sessions, reverted back to the oldest session and everything in between. The fault is permanent as the BCM has been corrupted. I have come across a sequence of fuse removals on a LR3 vehicle to correct a similar BCM problem and this is what I am hoping to find for my snag. That image I posted hints towards some mysterious way to recover the BCM but it remains a secret for now.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 908 Posts

Is this the same thing?

Old 08-03-2022, 09:44 AM

Possibly do the following: a complete power down by disconnecting the battery during an hour or so.

Then, in a new session, clear all errors and see which modules are still online. You can then see which Can buses are alive.

If the BCM module is “not mounted”, then you might try to configure it as a “new module”. If it generates a DTC, then SDD may suggest you the required action.

In the support tab, you may download all module software from the SDD server. Your network connection must be alive (green). You can also get the “as built” data from the SDD server.

I managed to get a module restore by using the CCF data from an old session.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sbolinha; 08-03-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
Is this the same thing?

I have tried this to no avail. I think the image I posted is a bit of a red herring. It states that the cluster fails to operate after doing a software or CCF download. But the problem is not the cluster - the problem is the BCM being dead which in turn means the cluster wont operate.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by sbolinha
Possibly do the following: a complete power down by disconnecting the battery during an hour or so.

Then, in a new session, clear all errors and see which modules are still online. You can then see which Can buses are alive.

If the BCM module is “not mounted”, then you might try to configure it as a “new module”. If it generates a DTC, then SDD may suggest you the required action.

In the support tab, you may download all module software from the SDD server. Your network connection must be alive (green). You can also get the “as built” data from the SDD server.

I managed to get a module restore by using the CCF data from an old session.

Hope this helps.
So far I have disconnected and reconnected the battery multiple times including leaving it disconnected overnight. Plus many hard resets by touching the disconnected battery cables together and by resetting using SDD. Both high and medium speed can buses are alive and showing various modules. The ones that are not shown are those that need the ignition to be on for SDD to see them - for example ABS, TCM, PCM etc etc. The rear BCM is alive on the medium speed can bus but the BCM is not. I have tested the power to the BCM and all is well.

I am unable to do anything with the BCM including configuring as a new module because it first has to be seen by SDD. I downloaded the As Built files for my particular VIN and then downloaded all XK As Built files when the VIN specific one did not help. These files cant be used because I cant access the configuration pages as they need a working BCM.

And lastly I have used various old sessions to try get in that way but that also didnt help.
In desperation I tried disconnecting the rear BCM and later the Instrument cluster before I tried to configure the BCM as a new module because one of my suspicions is there is something blocking access to the BCM. That didnt work either but I am considering disconnecting all medium speed modules to see if that will help.

If I dont get this sorted tomorrow I am going to bite the bullet and by a new BCM. Cant have this paperweight blocking my workshop for any longer.

I do appreciate all suggestions though and consider all of them carefully.

Old 08-03-2022, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Just a thought. Consider posting this in the General Tech section of the forum. There are a lot of guys with SDD experience but not necessarily looking in the X150 section. It's always possible this has been encountered before with other models.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:37 PM

Quick google on "jaguar bcm dead" gave me the following:

https://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forum...ad-no-ignition

Interesting post there:

"
Today after few attempts to force ignition with Autel and then connect the SSD I wiped the VIN number on the FCJB - Front BCM

Then reprogramed the FCJB and the keys work again to switch the ignition on but wont crank and the VIN is still wiped

After few minutes I disconnected the charger to close the tailgate and the car started - VIN is still wipped - error U3002-81

Now keyless start work and remote work
"

I know there is a way for SDD to also switch on contact via the "learn new key" service. Could this possibly bring things to live for you?

Old 08-03-2022, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Just a thought. Consider posting this in the General Tech section of the forum. There are a lot of guys with SDD experience but not necessarily looking in the X150 section. It's always possible this has been encountered before with other models.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will do this.

Originally Posted by sbolinha
Quick google on "jaguar bcm dead" gave me the following:

https://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forum...ad-no-ignition

Interesting post there:

"
Today after few attempts to force ignition with Autel and then connect the SSD I wiped the VIN number on the FCJB - Front BCM

Then reprogramed the FCJB and the keys work again to switch the ignition on but wont crank and the VIN is still wiped

After few minutes I disconnected the charger to close the tailgate and the car started - VIN is still wipped - error U3002-81

Now keyless start work and remote work
"

I know there is a way for SDD to also switch on contact via the "learn new key" service. Could this possibly bring things to live for you?
I am very familiar with the XF and its BCM problems and actually re-coded one earlier today for a friend after his VIN became corrupted following a battery disconnect.
I removed my XKR BCM yesterday and opened it up hoping to find a similar setup where I could use my Eeprom reader to connect to the chip and possibly see the problem and find a solution but its a completely different animal. Perhaps an Eeprom guru could do something with it but its beyond me.

I use Digital-Kaos frequently when looking for electrical solutions but haven't found anything similar to my problem. It seems that with most Jaguar BCM issues, the module is seen by SDD whereas mine is not seen and totally unresponsive. I have tried to "force" the ignition on numerous times during my troubleshooting on this car but it doesnt work.