XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 XKR Portfolio Cvt - Heated Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Default 2009 XKR Portfolio Cvt - Heated Steering Wheel?

I'd like to know if any 2009 XKR Portfolio owners (coupe and convertible) cars have a heated steering wheel.

I thought my convertible had every available option (it has the Alcon Brakes and Adaptive Cruise), and assumed that it had the heated steering wheel. I didn't care until recently, when it got really cold and I turned on the seat heater for the first time but couldn't find the control to heat the steering wheel. I read the Owner's Manual, which led me to believe that it had a heated steering wheel, but apparently it doesn't.

To determine if you have a heated steering wheel, see the Home menu on your touch screen. The heated steering wheel control is an icon (steering wheel) in between the controls for the right and left seat heater icons. Since there is a blank space between my seat heater icons, it appears that my car does not have a heated steering wheel.

It doesn't seem to make sense that Jaguar would make a heated steering wheel available as an option on non-Portfolio models but not include it on the top-of-the-line Portfolio.

Or is the heated steering wheel function already there, but needs to be activated by the dealer?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

According to Cars.com.....it looks like the '09 Portfolios doesn't come with heated steering wheel:

Limited Edition Portfolio
Includes portfolio badging on trunk lid, tread plate and leather-edge floor mat.

Tires: P255/35ZR20 Front & P285/30ZR20 Rear

Dunlop Sportmaxx.

Wheels: 20" Selena-Style 5-Spoke Polished Alloy

Shadow finish. 9" x 20" front and 10" x 20" rear.

Heated Front Luxury Sport Bucket Seats

Includes 16-way power adjustable driver and passenger seat (add up/down lumbar, cushion length, variable bolster to seat angle, forward/rearward, seat cushion tilt, lumbar and cushion height).

Softgrain Leather Seat Trim

Bowers & Wilkins Premium Signature Speaker System

525-watt. Includes high-output, low-distortion Kevlar mid-range speakers and specially designed aluminum-dome tweeters.

Engine-Spin Pattern Aluminum Veneer

Includes Piano Black center console and polished aluminum L-gate surround and gearshift knob center.

Softgrain Leather Door Trim Panels

Includes softgrain leather instrument panel fascia.

Leather Gearshift Knob

Leather Non-Heated Steering Wheel

Includes contrast stitching.

Link: http://www.cars.com/jaguar/xkr/2009/...=USB90JAC081A0

Old 12-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

XK has it's own touch buttom for the heated steering wheel. it's between the heated seat touch buttoms. if its not there car doesn't have it.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been really anoyed by this since I bought mine. They claim the portfolio has every option but mine didn't come with a heated wheel or adaptive cruise control. My 05 XJR had both in the base model.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Ghostrider, for your thorough and comprehensive reply. But I note that Cars.com is not the definitive source; they don't describe all the details and fail to mention the choices (included in the price) and options (additional cost) that were available on 2009 Portfolio models. Choices included: 1. Interior color (either 2-tone Ivory and Slate upholstery with Slate contrast stitching or monotone Charcoal upholstery with Cranberry stitching); 2. Dash trim (either Rich Oak veneer for the instrument panel and above the glove box - this wood exclusive to Portfolio; or, Engine Spun Aluminum above the glove box with Piano Black instrument panel);, and, 3. Convertible top - either Black or Dark Gray. Portfolio models had only two additional cost options: (1) Alcon R Performance brakes and (2) Adaptive Cruise Control.

According to Edmunds.com, "The XKR Portfolio Package includes the Luxury Package and the Bowers & Wilkins sound system, and adds unique paint, special interior and exterior trim and contrast-color leather stitching. The Alcon performance brakes and adaptive cruise control can be added to the XKR Portfolio Package." Here's the link:
http://www.edmunds.com/jaguar/xk/2009/

The Luxury Package on other 2009 XK's included the heated steering wheel. Since the Luxury Package was standard on the Portfolio, where is the heated steering wheel?

I suspect that all XKRs share the same wiring harnesses. If so, then the XKR Portfolio model is already wired for the heated steering wheel, and all that is required to activate it is a software upgrade. How can I find out if I'm right?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Thanks, Ghostrider, for your thorough and comprehensive reply. But I note that Cars.com is not the definitive source; they don't describe all the details and fail to mention the choices (included in the price) and options (additional cost) that were available on 2009 Portfolio models. Choices included: 1. Interior color (either 2-tone Ivory and Slate upholstery with Slate contrast stitching or monotone Charcoal upholstery with Cranberry stitching); 2. Dash trim (either Rich Oak veneer for the instrument panel and above the glove box - this wood exclusive to Portfolio; or, Engine Spun Aluminum above the glove box with Piano Black instrument panel);, and, 3. Convertible top - either Black or Dark Gray. Portfolio models had only two additional cost options: (1) Alcon R Performance brakes and (2) Adaptive Cruise Control.

According to Edmunds.com, "The XKR Portfolio Package includes the Luxury Package and the Bowers & Wilkins sound system, and adds unique paint, special interior and exterior trim and contrast-color leather stitching. The Alcon performance brakes and adaptive cruise control can be added to the XKR Portfolio Package." Here's the link:
http://www.edmunds.com/jaguar/xk/2009/

The Luxury Package on other 2009 XK's included the heated steering wheel. Since the Luxury Package was standard on the Portfolio, where is the heated steering wheel?

I suspect that all XKRs share the same wiring harnesses. If so, then the XKR Portfolio model is already wired for the heated steering wheel, and all that is required to activate it is a software upgrade. How can I find out if I'm right?
I've only owned my '08 Portfolio a short while but I've been wondering the same thing about the steering wheel. Snow and single digit (F*) temps prompted the search!

I've apparently got the "technology" package but not the "luxury" package? On the Portfolio? Really? Guess I should have chosen the Flagship model XKR instead? In any case, I would have assumed that the heated wheel went along with the heated seats.

Still an incredible car

Last edited by AirCav; 12-12-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 AM

To be honest I've never used my heated steering wheel. I've probably pressed my heated steering wheel button twice just to make sure it works since I bought it 3 years ago. I do have to agree that I would be PO'd if I bought the top of the line XKR and it didn't come with heated steering wheel or even come as an option. I'm wondering what Jaguar was thinking not having or offering heated steering wheel for the Portfolio?

They probably thought all Portfolio owners wil be from the South where it's nice and warm.

All kidding aside....possibly contact Jaguar USA and see what they say?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Default Awaiting Reply from Jaguar USA

Ghostrider,
I already emailed Jaguar USA and am awaiting their reply. Here's the text of my emails correspondence:

1. My Email to Jaguar on December 7, 2010
I recently purchased this 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible, and thought it was equipped with every available option. As I read the Owner's Handbook, I noted that Page 57 described the heated steering wheel that is activated through the touch screen. I was unable to find this function on either the Home Menu or Climate Menu; there was no steering wheel icon. Why doesn't my car have this feature?
In addition, I noticed the RDS-TMC real-time traffic feature on page 51 of the Navigation System manual. But when I went to my Navigation Setup screen, the RDS-TMC screen was not there. I live in xxxxx, GA and I believe there are 2 (and possibly 4) FM radion stations that broadcast TMC events that are used by both Garmin and Tom Tom GPS. Why isn't RDS-TMC available on my Jaguar/Denso navigation?

The XKR Portfolio is the top-of-the-line vehicle, and I am surprised that these features are not on my car. What do I have to do to get them?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. Reply from Jaguar USA On Wed, 12/8/10, Jaguar NA <jagweb1@jaguarlandrover.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [ref#: 102581-102685] Missing Heated Steering Wheel and NavTraffic
To: [deleted]
Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2010, 10:36 AM

Dear [deleted],

Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center.

We truly apologize for your inconvenience to date. To better assist you, I have forwarded your information to a Customer Relationship Representative. Your situation will be researched and you will be followed up with shortly.

Regards,

Klaudia Czeszkiewicz
Jaguar Customer Service

3. My Email to Jaguar on December 13, 2010
Dear Ms. Czeszkiewicz:
I'm following up with you since it has been 7 days from the date of my initial inquiry and I still haven't received the answers to my questions. I did, however, receive a phone call from a Customer Relationship Representative last Friday to inform me that she would research these issues and call me with her findings. I explained to her that I wanted her to send her response to me in writing by email. I did not tell her that I found it very difficult to understand her over the phone because she spoke very quickly. I also require a written response in order to avoid any miscommunication and misunderstanding.

I would appreciate your following up on this matter and having your Customer Relationship Representative send her reply to me by email.

As a further point pertaining to the apparent lack of a heated steering wheel on my 2009 XKR Portfolio Convertible, I noted that according to Edmunds.com, "The XKR Portfolio Package includes the Luxury Package and the Bowers & Wilkins sound system, and adds unique paint, special interior and exterior trim and contrast-color leather stitching. The Alcon performance brakes and adaptive cruise control can be added to the XKR Portfolio Package." Here's the link: http://www.edmunds.com/jaguar/xk/2009/

The Luxury Package on other 2009 XK's included the heated steering wheel. Since Edmunds.com says the Luxury Package was standard on the Portfolio, where is my heated steering wheel?

I suspect that all XKRs share the same wiring harnesses. If that is so, then the XKR Portfolio model is already wired for the heated steering wheel, and all that is required to activate it is a software upgrade. Am I right?

I look forward to receiving your written reply.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Ghostrider,
I already emailed Jaguar USA and am awaiting their reply. Here's the text of my emails correspondence:--snip--
Very good! I, too, am anxious to hear their response. I'm new to the whole "Jaguar Experience," so I am very much looking forward to being surprised!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM

I'm curious too....please keep us updated.

Just some food for thought....it looks like the UK XKR Portfolios has heated steering wheel. If that's the case they skimpped out on the US model. Eventhough I can't confirm but according to this vid, the UK Portfolios has them (see time 2:28 where he mentions it): http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/car-...fast-49296028/

Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDERXKR08
I'm curious too....please keep us updated.

Just some food for thought....it looks like the UK XKR Portfolios has heated steering wheel. If that's the case they skimpped out on the US model. Eventhough I can't confirm but according to this vid, the UK Portfolios has them (see time 2:28 where he mentions it): http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/car-...fast-49296028/
Ghostrider,
I watched the linked UK video and the touchscreen is clearly visible at 1:52. There is no steering wheel icon in between the seat heater icons. Therefore, that vehicle did not have a heated steering wheel notwithstanding that the narrator, Rory Reid, stated, in part: "I'll tell you what you can expect for 75 grand... a heated steering wheel..." Obviously, he didn't test for a heated steering wheel because if he did, he would have been disappointed by not getting what he expected. I also noted that the narrator complained about no IPod connection, which leads me to conclude that the tested XKR Portfolio was a 2008 model (US); the IPod connector was made standard in the 2009 Portfolio US models.

I searched CNet.UK for 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio and found that Rory Reid did a similar road test a year later on the Portfolio convertible. Here's the link: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/vide...rive-49303166/ The tested car is a 2010 model (US) with 510 bhp. I watched that video and the touchscreen is clearly visible at 1:19 and the steering wheel icon is there, in between the seat heater icons.

Did Jaguar change the wiring harness from 2009 to 2010? I doubt it, but I'll wait for Jaguar USA's reply to my inquiry. I'm not an engineer, but it seems more cost-effective to me for Jaguar to use a single harness across the entire XK line and use software and/or a fuse in a circuit to activate optional features such as the heating steering wheel.

...to be continued...

Old 12-13-2010, 11:44 PM

Good catch....can't believe I missed that.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

According to my UK XKR Portfolio brochure from August '07 a heated steering wheel was not listed in "Features" or "Options".

Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Ghostrider,
I watched the linked UK video and the touchscreen is clearly visible at 1:52. There is no steering wheel icon in between the seat heater icons. Therefore, that vehicle did not have a heated steering wheel notwithstanding that the narrator, Rory Reid, stated, in part: "I'll tell you what you can expect for 75 grand... a heated steering wheel..." Obviously, he didn't test for a heated steering wheel because if he did, he would have been disappointed by not getting what he expected. I also noted that the narrator complained about no IPod connection, which leads me to conclude that the tested XKR Portfolio was a 2008 model (US); the IPod connector was made standard in the 2009 Portfolio US models.

I searched CNet.UK for 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio and found that Rory Reid did a similar road test a year later on the Portfolio convertible. Here's the link: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/vide...rive-49303166/ The tested car is a 2010 model (US) with 510 bhp. I watched that video and the touchscreen is clearly visible at 1:19 and the steering wheel icon is there, in between the seat heater icons.

Did Jaguar change the wiring harness from 2009 to 2010? I doubt it, but I'll wait for Jaguar USA's reply to my inquiry. I'm not an engineer, but it seems more cost-effective to me for Jaguar to use a single harness across the entire XK line and use software and/or a fuse in a circuit to activate optional features such as the heating steering wheel.

...to be continued...

Michelle from Jaguar USA Customer Care called me 11/14 AM to let me know that the heated steering wheel was not available on the 2009 XKR Portfolio (US model) because it had a full leather steering wheel, and that feature was available only with the leather and wood steering wheel.

At first, I believed her. But after researching 2007-2009 XKRs on autotrader.com with a keyword search for Luxury Package, I now believe that she gave me incorrect advice. Autotrader.com lists 40 2007-2009 XKRs for sale with the Luxury Package, which is supposed to include the heated steering wheel. I looked at all of the available photos and every steering wheel was full leather, not leather and wood. Where touchscreen photos were available, all of them had a steering wheel icon in between the heated seat icons - except for the 2 Portfolio models!

So, what's going on here? Has anyone ever seen a 2007-2009 XKR with a wood and leather heated steering wheel? I haven't. So did Jaguar just forget to equip the Portfolio models with the heated steering wheel? Or was there a reason for doing so?

On the second issue, Michelle told me that the RDS-TMC real time traffic feature is available only on European models, and is not available on US models. She apologized for that feature being described in the Owner's Handbook, and explained that the handbook is "generic" and not all features are available in all markets. Since I'm skeptical of her expertise, I'd like to know if there are any 2007-2009 XKR owners (USA Models) who have that RDS-TMC feature. This is not a big deal, since even if that feature was on my car it probably wouldn't work as well as the free Google navtraffic app on my Droid Incredible.

The following users liked this post:
azureyes (01-26-2014)
Old 12-18-2010, 06:02 PM

yup wood heated, full leather not.

The following users liked this post:
azureyes (01-26-2014)
Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 AM

Stuart....are you going to pursue further with Jaguar USA as she did give you wrong info. I have full leather steering wheel and heated steering wheel. I just can't take a pic of my dash right now as the car is at the shop getting some work done.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagtech
yup wood heated, full leather not.
Jagtech,

I think you may be mistaken about 2009 XKR models having a wood steering wheel. I've never seen a wood/leather steering wheel on a 2009 XK or XKR; only the full leather steering wheel. Every car I've seen with the heated steering wheel icon visible on the information display screen (in between the icons for the seat heaters) had a full leather steering wheel.

Ghostrider confirmed that his 08 XKR has a full leather steering wheel and that it is heated.

From everything I've read, the heated steering wheel was part of the Luxury Package option available on "lesser" 2009 XKs and XKRs. As the top-of-the-line model, I expected the 2009 XKR Portfolio to include everything in the Luxury Package as standard (which they did, except for the heated steering wheel).

Jagtech, do you have any idea why Jaguar failed to include the heated steering wheel on the 2009 Portfolio models? Was it just an oversight?

My correspondence with Jaguar USA has gone unanswered to date.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't speak for the US market (so you can tell me to shut up) but Jagtech is correct for the UK (maybe EU too, but who cares ) that the heated wheel was the half wood one.
Also, the heated steering wheel was not included in the Luxury Interior option (as I have that) and was only available if you had it. i.e. it was 'on top of' the Lux pack.

Jaguar may well have simplified the options for the export markets and included things that we had as options. Might be worth asking Jaguar themselves.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 PM

i just had a 07 full leather wheel that was heated today. i know that 08-09 XKR Portfolio never had heated steering wheel. just something the car never had.

also had a 08 XK coupe with a wood steering wheel heated today. i think it's Jaguar is playing with car options after each year. remember 07 xk has a power radio antenna when 08 and up they removed it.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2008 XKR Portfolio the window sticker does say there is heated steering wheel but there is no icon between the seat icon . I am seeing my dealer next week and maybe it something that can done with programming .

The following 2 users liked this post by dd823:
azureyes (01-26-2014), Stuart S (10-06-2011)

Quick Reply: 2009 XKR Portfolio Cvt - Heated Steering Wheel?