XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 XK: who got successfully rid of coolant smell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I believe you are right as it is easier to check the 5.0 XK vs the 5.0 XKR. Hardly any stuff to move or remove to get at the pulley.
How many here really get on their knees and take apart engines? I guess I would need to examine whom are really working on their own cars versus sending them out I for one sends my cars out.. Too old to take these monsters apart!

Sending everything out.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
How many here really get on their knees and take apart engines? ..................
I have and still would, but being as my back is so busted I can no longer do it. I sure would LIKE to again, just for fun.
So lately, it's been "Here, do this" as I walk away and let more fit individuals do it. It IS easier to pay someone else. Just not as enjoyable as the tinkering.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

How many here really get on their knees and take apart engines? I guess I would need to examine whom are really working on their own cars versus sending them out I for one sends my cars out.. Too old to take these monsters apart!
I still try to do everything on all of my vehicles and toys, when I can't my wife always helps me by being my hands as I direct her. Especially small places, she is tiny and my hands are big ole meat hooks. She is actually a darn good wrench and has been for decades.

Dave

Old 08-02-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

There was a time when I purchased my first new car a 1970 MGB when I loved to work on my own cars. Those days are far behind me. I now want my cars to be reliable with very little car other than a wax and car wash regularly.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Really???? Wow! It must have been really ready to let go. I've examined mine over and over for the last 4 years and the pulley that I'm able to see is steady as can be. No signs of wobble or coolant leaks. Only smell and loss of coolant. I'm ready to shoot myself! lol
No shooting on this forum!

Yup, the WP was really wobbling. On the NA engine, it just took me time to replace it, in part because I labelled everything and of course had some resistance. If I remember correctly, I had a lot of trouble getting the radiator hose off.

Also, I had the smell of antifreeze even when the pully didn't wobble. Like you, I had the smell of antifreeze, but could not locate the source. Then after 5K miles or so keeping an eye on the WP, the wobble showed itself.

I don't know what it would cost at a dealer or indie, perhaps you can get the part(s) at a discount online. But I've noticed that you are quite concerned/exasperated/annoyed/disappointed. I bet any competent garage could replace the pump. Then you wash the plastic under-pan with a hose and the antifreeze smell will go away, and you won't be adding any antifreeze (my case). Life will be good and you'll fall in love with your Jag again.

Life is short and then you die.

Good luck.
wrair

Old 08-02-2018, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Have you ever thought of contacting Jaguar North America? Maybe you can sweet talk them into authorizing the replacement of the possibly faulty water pump. If one of you should decide to try that approach please let us know the results.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by 10XKR
I still try to do everything on all of my vehicles and toys, when I can't my wife always helps me by being my hands as I direct her. Especially small places, she is tiny and my hands are big ole meat hooks. She is actually a darn good wrench and has been for decades.

Dave
that’s awesome... my wife is the same way although she knows absolutely nothing about cars, she will get dirty and lend a hand when needed...

Old 08-03-2018, 04:45 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wrair
Hey Ter11, look at my tag line!
to repeat:, 2010 NA XK,2010.
Hi Wrair,

Thank you for the confirm. I mostly use the mobile view of this forum where, unless mistaken, I do not directly see the tag line.

Btw: Great discussion here, even if the subject is less pleasant!
Re do-it-yourself work on cars: I do some work myself. Eg. did the latest service/oil changes etc. on my Landrover Defender. On the XK so far only minor things: eg. change battery.

Best regards,
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 08-03-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Received 228 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler

that’s awesome... my wife is the same way although she knows absolutely nothing about cars, she will get dirty and lend a hand when needed...
Hi TT,

That is great, as you know willingness to lend a hand and willingness to get dirty is the hard part to find in anyone, the other skills are all learn-able from there(as long as they don't ask too many questions...LOL

Happy Friday,

Dave

TexasTraveler (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Where exactly should I be looking at the front of engine for the water pump pulley wobble? The only thing I can see from the front passenger side is the belt with a flashlight. Do I need to take the engine cover off and do I need a mechanics mirror to get a better view? Is it closer to the center front? Is it the pulley with the belt? Thanks all.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:40 AM

Dear all,

Yesterday I had the endoscope in the mail so today I opened the hood for some research. First the handling of the endoscope was not that easy and I ran out of battery on the factory-charged endoscope. But after full recharge I gave it another go, trying to get a good view on the water pump.

Best approch seemed to be from right side of vehicle, from where I could get a quite alright view on the water pump pulley (please confirm: it is the pulley in the middle of the V-axis of the engine, right below where the the intake manifold hoses join and above the crank pulley).

At any rate I was watching out for orange stains. Please see the attached pictures. This is the view from the front of the water pump pulley approx sector between 8 and 11 o’clock (imagine the pulley is a clock-face).

My interpretation of the pictures: my water pump is leaking coolant and coolant residue is visible as orange stains on the back side of the pulley and the engine block facing the pulley. Note also the small drop of orange liquid in both pictures.
Btw: These pictures were taken after the car was sitting in the garage for a couple of days and was just started for a minute before to get it in a better position in the garage for the endoscope inspection.

Any comments or other interpretations of these pictures?

br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 08-05-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I would say you have cause for further investigation. My next step would be to remove the lower front belly pan and see what's there.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Just a suggestion::

As it's a pretty good bet the pump is on its way out, because the early pumps are crap, you could take the gamble and tell them to replace the pump at your cost but retain the old pump. If, once it's removed, the pump is clearly stuffed, you can then get the warranty to pay for the replacement (i.e. you were right, they were wrong). If it's a borderline case and they still won't pay, well, consider it as insurance against a cooked engine later, when you're out of warranty.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback! The car will go to a Jag dealer soon to see what their comment is. Provided that I am right and the pump shows clear stains of coolant residue, ie. is leaking: What else would be needed to justify a water pump replacement? A complete failure of the pump stopping to work entirely and overheat the engine?

Br
ter

Old 08-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ter11
Thanks for the feedback! The car will go to a Jag dealer soon to see what their comment is. Provided that I am right and the pump shows clear stains of coolant residue, ie. is leaking: What else would be needed to justify a water pump replacement? A complete failure of the pump stopping to work entirely and overheat the engine?

Br
ter
Failure is failure whether it is leaking from the weep hole or a bad bearing or a catastrophic failure. Warranty coverage would be depending on the language of the warranty contract. If the WP is considered a consumable then it may not be covered. Overheated engine is dependent on whether the operator stopped the car in time to prevent engine damage. This may or may not be covered. Just my take.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:48 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Where exactly should I be looking at the front of engine for the water pump pulley wobble? The only thing I can see from the front passenger side is the belt with a flashlight. Do I need to take the engine cover off and do I need a mechanics mirror to get a better view? Is it closer to the center front? Is it the pulley with the belt? Thanks all.
Boca, not so clear remembering the details with my chemo-brain.
The engine top cover definitely needs to be removed (no big deal, no screws etc). Then, I located the WP and a bright flashlight showed the significant wobble.

wrair

bocatrip (08-05-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM
Old 08-23-2019, 10:44 AM
Default Oil cooler

Hi all

I stumbled over the following thread in the ftype forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-220979/page2/

Apparently some ftype owners with V8s (basically same engine as the 5.0 SC) complaining about coolant smell and slight coolant loss were diagnosed a faulty oil cooler. Also our 5.0 engines have this oil cooler in the V between pistons.

It is not an oil to air cooler, which would not make any sense in this place, but it’s an oil to coolant cooler that should probably make sure the oil does not get too hot.

I have never read here in the xk xkr forum about anyone with troublesome oil coolers of these. Anybody?

My current status after water pump replacement is that car continues to have a slight coolant smell when hot in the engine bay. But coolant level - which has slightly been falling after the new water pump was installed (I it takes even up to 2000 mls before all air is out of the coolant system) - is now stable and no longer dropping.

Br
ter

Old 08-24-2019, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Yeah, took me ages to figure out where the damn oil cooler was. I haven't heard of any XK problems, as far as I recall.

If you're still smelling coolant, maybe there is some residue from the original leak. I did smell coolant a few times after my pump was replaced, but nothing since. But that's a long shot - depends how much coolant got spread around and where it lodged.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ter11
Hi all

I stumbled over the following thread in the ftype forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-220979/page2/

Apparently some ftype owners with V8s (basically same engine as the 5.0 SC) complaining about coolant smell and slight coolant loss were diagnosed a faulty oil cooler. Also our 5.0 engines have this oil cooler in the V between pistons.

It is not an oil to air cooler, which would not make any sense in this place, but it’s an oil to coolant cooler that should probably make sure the oil does not get too hot.

I have never read here in the xk xkr forum about anyone with troublesome oil coolers of these. Anybody?

My current status after water pump replacement is that car continues to have a slight coolant smell when hot in the engine bay. But coolant level - which has slightly been falling after the new water pump was installed (I it takes even up to 2000 mls before all air is out of the coolant system) - is now stable and no longer dropping.

Br
ter
My bet is that the lower belly pan was not either removed or cleaned as well as the lower part of the engine.

Quick Reply: 2011 XK: who got successfully rid of coolant smell?