XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 XK Tail/ Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XK Tail/ Brake light

I purchased my first Jaguar about 6 months ago, and up till now it has been perfect. The passenger side brake light on my XK is no longer working entirely, the turn signal and the top half of the brake light will illuminate, but the lower portion remains dark. I switched the left side to the right and it is the unit itself, not a wiring issue. Is there any way to open the tail light assembly piece to change the bulb or is it a solid unit that must be replaced entirely?

Old 10-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

It is probably sold as a solid piece. - however, that doesn't mean an electrical guru couldn't fix it.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

It's probably something as inane as a broken track on a board. Easy enough to actually FIX that, but I'm sure it would be a monster to get TO it.
One thing about that though..... if it gets destroyed while TRYING to fix it, you'd not really be out anything as a new one would have been required anyway.
Give fixing a shot, you can't make it worse.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna drive to the Fort Lauderdale Jaguar dealership today and talk to the service department and see if there were any recalls on this issue or if they've seen this before. If they don't have a remedy, I'll drive over to their body shop. I want it to be done correctly the first time and have them be liable should it fall off and break. Jaguar XK's were not made for hot climates like South Florida. Even the leather dashboards that I've seen are shrinking and buckling from the heat that emanates through the glass when the windows are up. It can be over 130* or more inside the car in the summer time. If the Jaguar body shop wants no part of it, I'll probably try that "RHINO GLUE" if it comes in clear.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny Nichols
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna drive to the Fort Lauderdale Jaguar dealership today and talk to the service department and see if there were any recalls on this issue or if they've seen this before. If they don't have a remedy, I'll drive over to their body shop. I want it to be done correctly the first time and have them be liable should it fall off and break. Jaguar XK's were not made for hot climates like South Florida. Even the leather dashboards that I've seen are shrinking and buckling from the heat that emanates through the glass when the windows are up. It can be over 130* or more inside the car in the summer time. If the Jaguar body shop wants no part of it, I'll probably try that "RHINO GLUE" if it comes in clear.
Do you realize that you posted your reply in response to a thread that is more than 3 years old? You should have posted it in the thread that you started today.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-243192/

Your trip to the dealer is a waste of time because they won't repair a broken taillight. They're in business to sell new parts, and won't risk the liability associated with repairing parts.

Gluing the lens back onto your taillight appears to be an easy, DIY fix. What do you have to lose? You can always buy a brand new taillight or find a used one on Ebay. Forum sponsors who sell parts may be able to beat Dealers' prices with their member discounts.

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-18-2021 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kenny Nichols (02-25-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 03:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

So I spent yesterday and today driving to get some answers. Yesterday I stopped at 2 Body Shops, both of which work on high end cars. Neither of them wanted to touch it. Today I went to Safelite Auto Glass and they didn't want to go near it. Then i went to Fort Lauderdale Jaguar and they never heard of it ever happening and referred me to an Auto Glass shop that they use. NOPE! So my last visit was to the Jaguar Auto Body facility and got the same answer. On my way home I stopped at O'Reilly Auto Parts and pick up some J-B Weld for plastics in clear. Tomorrow I will attempt to glue it back on. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Once again, thanks for all the suggestions.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (02-18-2021)