XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 XK XKR Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XK XKR Convertible

Thinking of picking it up & using as a daily driver. Is this doable @ 12k per year? What are the factory tires rated at for treadwear? How costly is annual maintenance, fluids, oil etc? what are service invervals? every 3 months or annually? How is comfort overall? I'm shopping it against the porsche & maserati as a daily driver & appreciate responses esp from owners who use it as a DD. Thanks in adavnce.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Get the Jag

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM

ok can you answer even one question? I posted 5 of them. It would be a daily driver as stated with the exception of course of snow days, I have an SUV for that (H2 Hummer) my weekday garage queen and weekend car is a lamborghini gallardo spyder. Currently using the hummer as a daily and I want some combo of luxury & sport that is a drop top & is a realistic daily. Its XK XKR v. 911 Turbo cab v. granturismo MC sportline; honestly I am leaning towards the jag, but would love to hear from owners.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Blue Grass Motorsports in KY has a triple black beauty that is the jag contender for me btw

Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Tires are going to be a wash with anything you're looking at. For service intervals, factory maintenance is every 15k miles or once a year, whichever comes first. The transmission fluid is for life, and sparkplugs, coolant, and most other things are over the 100k mark. Insurance for me on an XKR was half the price of the Maserati and Aston Martin Vantage. This is a very comfy car to drive in a relaxed fashion. If you push it and firm up the shocks, it has quite the exhaust note and responds well. I do HPDE lapping at my local track a few times a year, so not that I'm an expert, but I think I have some idea of what I speak.

The 911 turbo cab is about to be overhauled as the new 911s are coming out now -- I think Porsche typically delays the turbo entry by about a year or so. I think the Maserati is straight up gorgeous, but it's going to run you an additional 40k or so I think. There's a lot of value in the Jag from that perspective. Mind you the other two will likely hold their value better than the Jag, so grain of salt that.

Sounds like a fun decision. Go out and try them all for sure -- should be a grand time!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Good daily driver...

My XK is my daily driver, well, what ever days I decide to go to work.

The maintenance is greatly simplified compared to the older models. Once a year for me as I never exceed the mileage intervals. I tend to do all my own maintenance as it takes minutes and not worth for me to waste half a day by driving to a remote dealer. Not sure about the 2012 including all maintenance as the 2011 did for 5 years? That would be a great deal for someone not wanting to bother with DIY.

Tires, you could wear them down in less than 15K miles. Just the nature of ultra-high performance tires.

The Jag is really a sporty cruiser which makes it fine for daily driving. Decent ride comfort, good power and great looks. I would definitely select it over any Porsche 911 derivatives, as I've simply always hated the rear-engined configuration, the handling and the sounds of that car. Not sure about the reliabilities of the Maserati, well, Italian cars... during the 1980s, I also used to own two Lamborghinis when they were still in Italian hands and the reliability was not their strong forte while for maintenance you were expected to leave and arm-and-a-leg at your favorite mechanic.

I would definitely pick the Jag from your list.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought a 5 Series BMW AWD as a daily ......... I was tired of the SUV route ...........

IMHO, unless you need an SUV, I would dump the Hummer and get an AWD luxury sedan .... and keep the Lambo!!!!

Good luck with your decision; as many have said before these are 'good problems'

Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM

thanks guys I appreciate the replies. it seems almost all cool cars have these damn pzero pirelli's...bentley, ferrari, and I know I have them on my lambo...i replaced them once for $2k...which is an ouch, but honesly more of an inconvenience than anything. I believe they are rated in the rear anyway, for 5500 miles...i stretched mine to 7k and they were at the wear bars and needed to be replaced just to pass inspection. so when i saw the jag came with dunlop's i figured I'd inquire on treadwear...so the answer is 15k on the factory originals? thats better than the wear rate on pzero's for sure. if 12k per year is standard which for me i know is on a daily, i'd just hate to be in the shop every 180 days replacing tires just for the inconvenience alone & unfortuneately i know the maserati comes stock with them. have you guys seen this triple black list I'm referring to? Its quite sexy and i believe these are much less produced than porsche. What are the production numbers relative to the other brands i wonder? i'm not even considering the aston martin because i dont think its a realistic daily. mja xkr, an awd sedan huh? What do you think of the panamera turbo? its funny as you say great problems to have.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Thought i'd drop in. I suggest driving all of them. Being a Jag guy, i would prefer the Jag but cannot compare anything else 'cause I haven't driven anything else. Tire wear is dependent upon driving habits of course. I have a friend with 07 XK8 with 28k on it and the rear tires are at minimum (2/32). He has driven the car easy for four years. Another thing to consider is, with the purchase or lease of the XKR (and even the XFR) there is a complimentary track day/ driving experience. Details at the dealer. As well, there was full maintenance on 2011 models but I think the program changed on 2012 a little. Again, ask the dealer. Hope you get and enjoy the Jag!!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosso Spyder
thanks guys I appreciate the replies. ...... mja xkr, an awd sedan huh? What do you think of the panamera turbo? its funny as you say great problems to have.
My 'Porsche blood' runs much deeper than my 'Jaguar blood' ..... I had two 996 Turbos and a Cayenne Turbo prior to my Portfolio ...... I just can't get over the looks (and I tried really hard) of the back end of the Panamera otherwise I'd be driving one. IMHO, any Porsche Turbo is the best blend of performance, daily driver, and reliability

Again, what a 'fun decision' to have to make .... enjoy the process!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackX300VDP
Thought i'd drop in. I suggest driving all of them. Being a Jag guy, i would prefer the Jag but cannot compare anything else 'cause I haven't driven anything else. Tire wear is dependent upon driving habits of course. I have a friend with 07 XK8 with 28k on it and the rear tires are at minimum (2/32). He has driven the car easy for four years. Another thing to consider is, with the purchase or lease of the XKR (and even the XFR) there is a complimentary track day/ driving experience. Details at the dealer. As well, there was full maintenance on 2011 models but I think the program changed on 2012 a little. Again, ask the dealer. Hope you get and enjoy the Jag!!
Amazingly - dealers do very little to promote https://www.jaguarperformanceacademy.com/Home.aspx and your attendance will likely make your tires wear more after they have shown you how to drive their cars There's a thread here about the school, awesome day on the track with tons of windshield time

Old 10-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

and my XKR is my daily driver

Old 10-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey !! mja xkr Great looking car !!!!